Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add any comments about the third unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        sue robbins
        Participant
          @suerobbins

I can’t access the Adapting Coursebook Content page any more, and am getting a ‘This website has been reported as unsafe’ message.

Thomas Leach
          Participant
            @thomasleach

Another interesting week. I thought the activities that can be created were interesting and certainly allows for greater interactivity and variety. I wonder though how would you host them on a VLE to implement them in your own online course?

The navigation of the course is very clear as before and the content is interesting. I feel like it’s slowly building up to the more serious Articulate app. I found it possible to get through everything in the given time and I found H5P quite easy to use especially after watching the guidance videos.

David Read
            Keymaster
              @david

@suerobbins, hmm, that is strange, still visible for me and there shouldn’t be an unsafe message, we have implemented https certification on the site so we wouldn’t have that issue. Perhaps try a different browser and see if the same thing happens?

@thomasleach
              things like Wordwall/H5P can be shared within your VLE via a link or by embedding. However, the only issue with that is that it won’t ‘report’ to the VLE and you won’t be able to generate any data about student completion. However, H5P has specific plugins for both Moodle and Blackboard (possibly Canvas as well) and you may have access to them via your VLE and in that case it would report data to the VLE. Which VLE do you use at your institution? If it’s either of those then it might be worth speaking to your IT team to see if H5P is available.

Thomas Leach
                Participant
                  @thomasleach

Thanks David. To be honest, I don’t teach anymore, I proof and edit all the educational materials before they go out to public schools in the UAE. I’m doing this course out of my own interest. I’m interested in developing self-regulated, asynchronous courses. For my PhD, my key interest is self-regulated learning, so this course provides me practical knowledge to back up the academic side of things. So I’m curious as to which would be better, using H5P in collaboration with a VLE or using something like Articulate or Captivate? Would they allow you to host your courses without a VLE or would some type of VLE always be needed?

sue robbins
                  Participant
                    @suerobbins

Horror of the red screen yesterday, but all :good: today

Navigation and design: very clear
                    Content: very useful – thank you!
                    Timing: This week it wasn’t possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours, because I gave over quite a bit of time to getting to know H5P
                    Difficulty: all good. Thanks for the extra resources

David Lincoln
                  Participant
                    @david-l

I thought the content was just about right and useful for me.

Navigation and design was clear and easy to use. I need to practice on the H5P tools a bit more. I got through the content fine. The difficulty was about right just need to play aorund with the tools and practice more.:good:

Allison Dresner
                    Participant
                      @spottypoppy

Really interesting week really liked H5P – just a shame it is so expensive – we have Canvas and pretty sure there is no plug in enabled – it’s really flexible.

Workload manageable :good:

Navigation and videos :good:

Paula Villegas Verdu
                      Participant
                        @paula_villegas

I really enjoy this week and it was so good getting to do some practical activities with H5P. Now, for the guided feedback questions

1. Navigation and design:  fab, as always
                        2. Content: really useful, I love the theory bit and then having the opportunity to get cracking with some practical tools. It not only helps me learn the software but apply what I learned from the theory. It is so useful that I have already made two activities that I am planning to use next week!
                        3. Timing: Probably but I spent a lot more, not because it was required maybe but because I wanted to really get to grips with H5P
                        4. Difficulty: Yep I felt I had the tools to make it work

Looking forward to starting the next unit! :mail:

Caitlin Coyle
                        Participant
                          @caitlin

Navigation and design: Well laid out

Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation? H5P on Moodle will be very useful. I think the interactive videos will be useful for chunking stages of long lectures at the start of students’ courses.

Timing: I think I got through everything, but I’ll want to revisit different content types on H5P in more detail later.

Difficulty: The videos provided helpful scaffolding.

David Read
                          Keymaster
                            @david

@paula_villegas @david-l @spottypoppy @caitlin @thomasleach @suerobbins thanks for the feedback, always welcome!

@paula_villegas
                            great to hear that it has had an impact on your teaching and you are able to start using H5P with your students immediately!

@spottypoppy
                            , yes, it is somewhat expensive; however, there are some workarounds that could be used to give cheaper access to H5P, specifically setting up a WordPress website and using the free h5p plugin for that. I wrote a blog post explaining this in a bit more detail, but happy to have a one to one meeting to explain more.

@caitlin
                            , yes, the video tools are particularly useful in H5P for lecture management. I know many teachers have been recording ‘voice over’ presentations in the last year to compensate for the lack of face to face contact, and these could easily be made more interactive using these tools.

@thomasleach
                            , you ask about how best to combine H5P with other tools.  There are a variety of options here depending on your work situation, finances etc. You probably do need some kind of delivery system for the content as a way of organising it into sequences or logical blocks. Your institution may have its own VLE (Blackboard, Moodle etc) which would make life easier, but if you are doing this by yourself, there are various options. You could set up your own VLE using something like Moodle (it’s open source so doesn’t cost anything) but you would need to pay for hosting, which probably would work out at something between £50-80 a year.

Or you could do it via WordPress – which is how our Training Foundry courses are run. The main costs would be the hosting for WordPress (about £50-80 a year) and you may need to install some plugins to give your site VLE functionality. We use one called Learndash which costs about £150 a year for us, but it’s very useful. The good thing is that the H5P plugins for both Moodle and WordPress are completely free.

Thomas Leach
                              Participant
                                @thomasleach

Thanks for this information. Would it be the same thing with Articulate and Captivate or do you host them differently?

Julie Ibdali
                              Participant
                                @julie

I enjoyed this week and can see how what we have learnt will be useful for our ss.  I feel like I have learnt quite a bit already, I’m just afraid of forgetting everything!! I struggled for time this week and feel that I rushed the task at the end.

Jemima Perry
                                Participant
                                  @jemima

I enjoyed learning more about H5P, and the videos were really clear and useful. I think it’s always possible to spend more time learning how to use and creating content because there’s so much there! Difficulty level was fine too.

Aline André
                                  Participant
                                    @aline

I enjoyed learning about the H5P website.  I probably spent more time this week because, as you warned us, it is not easy to develop materials in the H5P.

Bernadette Kelly
                                    Participant
                                      @berniek

I struggled fruitlessly trying to do an interactive video on H5P – I’m sure I’m just being very dim.  Will have an extended play around with it at the weekend.  I enjoyed this week’s input and am itching to get exploring the Shift elearning site too.

Rachel Beresford
                                      Participant
                                        @rachel-beresford

I enjoyed learning how to use H5P and the videos were very useful. Am a bit behind on the course, so I stuck to the basic exercises on there while I catch up with everything, but would like to go back and try out some of the other features and activities once I have a bit more time.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.