Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
          @juliet

Please add any comments about the fourth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
          2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
          3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
          4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
          ann clayton
          Participant
              @ann-c

Navigation and design: the videos were very helpful
              Content: would like to have the time to create bespoke activities that could be piloted and reviewed, currently teaching means that all lessons are one off
              Timing: fine
              Difficulty: RISE is far more intuitive to use, returning to PV5 reinforced previous learning and built on it.

Tania Pacheco
              Participant
                  @tania-pacheco

Hi,

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

As previously said, navigating is easy and straightforward, it is not an issue for me.

Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

This Week’s content was very useful the same as the previous ones. Thank you!

I’ve learnt a great deal about Articulate Rise. I believe more practice would be needed in order to exploit it, the creation of the course was fun!

Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

Yes, I think I am getting better, I am still struggling with reading the articles, but it is about my concentration, I need to do it by chunks but the problem is that I forget what I’ve read the last time, so this task is taking me a while to do it.

Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

Yes, indeed.

I am not sure whether I’ve liked Articulate Rise, but that is not your fault of course and I am glad we are doing it, so we can say what it is and how it works.

I didn’t like the following:

• Unable to highlight everything in the table so I can change the size of the font, colour, centring the text, etc… You have to do it one by one :wacko:
                  • Unable to move a created single block from one page to another page within the same course. You have to create it again from scratch. Although, I found out that you can duplicate the entire lesson and then you might be able to move the content around from one to another.
                  • Unable to resize the images. I wanted a smaller avatar. There isn’t the possibility to crop it. I  don’t like mine, it is massive.
                  • Unable to write any text on the top of the image, you have to create a block text for that!
                  • Unable to center the text in the image, they offer the image and text together which is nice, but you cannot change the font, neither the place, it is centered in the middle of the left – hand side of the page, but not in the middle.

Because of all those limitations, I stick with the basics so I have made it boring.

I guess this tool is very good for marketing websites and/ or informative ones. I am not sure this could be good for teaching. I might be wrong though, sorry.

It would be good to see good examples and get the inspiration.

How would I have liked to improve my lesson?

Firstly, having more time to add more interactive material in the grammar part, it is just a plain scroll down page. May be adding a couple of exercises with the flip cards, matching up, multiple choice, etc.. for each grammar point.

Reducing the massive avatar, it scares me!

Adding a video of someone explaining as a recap at the end! ;-)

And finally, to make the presentation image (the main one) a little bit lighter.

Many thanks, overall I’ve enjoyed the challenge :yahoo:

Linda Roth
                  Participant
                      @tinkerbell

I am bashing on with putting the provided lesson sequence at present – I think it’s taking me longer than 4-5 hours, but then I let myself get bogged down with stuff. (e.g. I can crop a picture but I don’t seem to be able to re-size it, which I find quite frustrating!).

Yes, it’s useful, and I wouldn’t say it’s too challenging, no – it just takes time to practice!

Richard Davie
                      Participant
                          @egq22rd

I wrote this some time ago, (so it may relate to Unit 3 content at least as the initial trigger) then I hit problems using Articulate. But…

Is it me or does the the sheer length & cumulative weight of all these principles seem rather overwhelming? Not exactly ‘cognitive overload’ but ‘morale overload’? It’s not that any of them are unexpected: all of them I’m guessing we may well have heard of before, and of course many/most anticipated if not stated in the course so far. It’s just their acculumative total; like your life coach has just distilled all the articles of the ’10 ways you can… to make your life more…’ kind which you’d half-read, and said ‘Don’t worry, I’ve summarised them all for you!’

Fair’s fair if that’s the assured result of modern research, but given we can’t do all of it, all of the time, at least any time soon, are there principles of priority or selection? It’s interesting that the summary statements at the start [of the reading] have the refrain ‘Students learn better and remember it longer…’ Obviously this is based on a distillation of a range of research, but how much variation is there across ‘students’, and their learning and need to remember, or indeed variables reflecting the <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>teacher</span> preferences as well as learning ones?

This sounds like a complaint–it’s not, just a reaction shot (hopefully testifying to a full appreciation of all that I’ve been reading). What I expect I’ll find is the stuff on sequencing, interaction etc. coming up will help navigate all this, reducing the ‘Think about all of this now!’ effect.

Amon Ezike
                          Participant
                              @amon246

Navigation and design: The navigation for the lesson was good
                              Content: Content was good and the video explaining how to use articulate was very good.
                              Timing: I am not sure about the timing, the practical bit took longer than the specified 30 minutes
                              Difficulty: The material was good especially the videos , the practical was alright however I did a quiz in my exercise 3 and tried to put the continue button from the settings and it didn’t work

Tim Radnor
                              Participant
                                  @timr

Formatting within the ‘table’ option seemed a bit awkward. Any tips on that? @juliet

Juliet Parfitt
                                    Keymaster
                                        @juliet

It is a bit awkward and can be frustrating @timr. The only suggestion I can make is to keep checking regularly in preview mode because often what shows in edit mode is different.

David Read
                                      Keymaster
                                          @david

@egq22rd it’s a fair point you make, but I’m hoping a lot of it is common sense and transferable from our knowledge of teaching in general – many of the principles such as giving detailed feedback, recycling materials, make it interactive etc are all things we know we should do in the EFL/EAP classroom (though we don’t always back up with practice). I think the point of adding these principles is to just surface some of this back to the front of our minds when creating digital content.

The best example I can think of to illustrate this is the classic situation where an EAP teacher will drum into students how to create and deliver presentations (not too much info on slides, use illustrations, don’t read from the slides) and yet, whenever you go to an EAP conference, a good chunk of the presenters do exactly those things they tell their students not to! Partly it’s just that they forget and take the path of least resistance (loads of bullet points piled up on stark white background) but also they may not actually have the technical knowledge to do it (managing images, transitions, animations etc). I think the purpose of this course is to just help remind teachers to apply some fairly well worn principles to digital content and also give them the technical skills they need to implement them effectively. I hope that makes some sense!

Richard Davie
                                            Participant
                                                @egq22rd

Perfect sense; thanks David. And I know what you mean about EFL / EAP Ts at conferences: been there & done that myself!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.