Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add any comments about the fifth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        Thomas Leach
        Participant
          @thomasleach

I really enjoyed the activity, it was longer and I didn’t have time to complete the last few things but by that point, I’d already got the idea of how to do it. As per usual, very easy to navigate and use. I like the idea of storyboarding everything before getting into make the lessons. It seems obvious but I know I would otherwise just start to work on lessons without a plan. It also makes it quick to replicate the content as it’s just a case of copying and pasting. I thought embedding Padlet was good but I wasn’t happy with how it embedded so need to long more into that if I get time.

sue robbins
          Participant
            @suerobbins

A useful week – thank you

Navigation and design: :good:
            Content: the pre-int language stuff is not particularly useful. It took a couple of hours to create the ‘Talking about yourself & others’ unit and I probably won’t reuse it. It did mean I trialled the various Rise ‘knowledge check’ tasks, though, which was good as I haven’t experimented with them to date
            Timing: all possible in the suggested timings
            Difficulty: :good:

Also… thought this was a nice set of prompts for reviewing any of our creations

David Read
              Keymaster
                @david

fair point @suerobbins about the material, though we try to cater for a wide range of possible course options. I know most of the teachers on the course are teaching EAP, but many of our centres offer a range of both general and specific courses, so wanted to make sure they were all covered!

Yes, nice set of prompts. Accessibility is something hopefully we’re going to look at in next week’s live session, so may be able to draw on some of this.

David Lincoln
              Participant
                @david-l

I enjoyed practising the Rise storyline . It is especially useful to have the storyline to refer to as you create the content. It took me a bit longer than usual and I didn’t manage to create all the content but by then Ihad got the  general idea. Another interesting week. :good:

Thomas Leach
                Participant
                  @thomasleach

@paula_villegas, @david-l, @spottypoppy, @julie, @jemima, @caitlin, @suerobbins, @rachel-beresford, @aline, @berniek, @ptzanni, @georgie_l, @natallia, @ktoshi

Hi everyone, I’m not sure if I mentioned this before but I’m a PhD student with Lancaster University focusing on Technology Enhanced Learning. I’m currently doing a small-scale study which looks at the constraints and obstacles adult learners face when taking part in online courses such as this one. I know for me that, doing this course and my PhD means I have to get through each week’s contents as quickly as possible at the start of each week so I can go back to researching for my studies. On top of this, I also have a full-time job, which luckily has been very quiet in the run up to the end of the academic year plus a family with a wife and young son plus two demanding dogs to make sure I spend time with. It can be quite a lot and I’m sure it’s similar for everyone else. The reason I tell you all this is because I’d like to do some short interview with people from the course about your constraints and obstacles to online study.

When written up in the study, the name of the university and the interviewees will all be anonymous. I know you must all be really busy, but I hope some of you can spare some time to do an interview. You can message me in the comments or email me at t.m.leach@lancaster.ac.uk, and we can set up to do an interview.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Caitlin Coyle
                  Participant
                    @caitlin

copying your emojis @suerobbins. Hope you don’t mind!

Navigation and design: :good:
                    Content: :good:
                    Timing: The pre-sessional has been quite intense this week so only did half of the last activity. I think I was getting the gist though.
                    Difficulty: I am guessing Lessons 3 and 4 on the Unit we were planning may have challenged us to do more on Rise, but I only did 1 and 2 and found them okay

Paula Villegas Verdu
                    Participant
                      @paula_villegas

Alright with barely 12 hours to spare before Unit 6 drops, here is my feedback!

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content? good, good
                      Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?  It is really quite useful, I am actually using it with a few of my students, so yeah that’s great!
                      Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours? Maybe? I spent way more than that but that was my choice really, I may be trying to fill the void of my thesis  :unsure: Seriously though I just want to know the programmes inside out and try stuff while applying the principles so it is kind of up to me how much time I spent. I appreciated extension tasks ’cause it got me to think more at a course level and it was the right level of ‘challenging’
                      Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging? it was perfect! B-)

Looking forward to unit 6! :yahoo:

Jemima Perry
                      Participant
                        @jemima

Another enjoyable and useful unit. The article about learner control was interesting and I enjoyed trying to get to grips with Rise. I liked seeing things from the perspective of a materials developer  – it helps to see what needs to be included in the storyboard.

I struggled with some things e.g H5P commentary task type  – I need to go back and find the instructions for this – and downloading Storyline has been tricky, but I think i’ve done it now! I think it has taken me longer than 5 hours again, but I wanted to try to do the whole series of lessons. I guess you get faster with practice!

Aline André
                        Participant
                          @aline

I enjoyed learning about the different Rise blocks and all the possibilities in using those different tools. There’re some annoying things (i.e., change colors, delete inverted commas) that I couldn’t fix while developing the lesson, but I’ll deal with them later. Timewise, I only did the two first lessons because it took me a while to figure out how to use some of the block categories.

Bernadette Kelly
                          Participant
                            @berniek

Very enjoyable and very useful – but took me MUCH longer than the estimated time – but I also wasted a lot of time trying to work out things for myself before conceding defeat and watching the video guides again – Doh!

Yes, Aline I agree that some minor things (the inverted commas) were annoying when I couldn’t work out how to fix them.  :-(

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this exercise and can see how storyboarding really helps when doing a longer bit of development.

Bernie

David Read
                            Keymaster
                              @david

Thanks @paula_villegas @jemima @aline @bernie @david-l for your feedback really appreciate it.

@aline
                              and @bernie agree that there are some annoying things about Rise, at times it’s very intuitive, at other times it seems to hide useful  away in such a place that they are impossible to find or prevent you from doing obvious things, such as editing inverted commas or letting you edit an embed code before submitting it. Hopefully they’ll get better based on feedback, it’s still a relatively young tool so there’s room for it to improve.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.