Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
        @juliet

Please add any comments about the fifth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        Sue Everest
        Participant
          @sue

Hi @david and @juliet: just a general comment. I found this week quite tough as I’d fallen a bit behind and hadn’t been able to join the zoom sessions for 2 weeks. just goes to show how useful those sessions are and how important it is for me to somehow keep up. I find Articulate Rise quite tricky, but I tell myself that I just have to give it a go.

One suggestion. When sharing my work with my group just now I had to look for my group’s tags. Could there be an easy place to find them, rather than trawling through old posts? Or is there something obvious I’m missing?

Appreciate all the support.

Juliet Parfitt
          Keymaster
            @juliet

Thanks for the useful feedback @sue. These tools do take a while to get the hang of, but I think you’ve done a really good job so far. It’s probably too late for you this time, but I will remember to add the name tags when I make a list next time – good idea!

Brenda Allen
            Participant
              @azurial

Navigation and design: The usual positive comments apply.  By now it all seems like second nature, though there is plenty of variety to keep it fresh.

Content: As above for all presentation and instruction materials, especially the recycling and revision elements

Timing: As this unit concentrated on providing a piece of work, it would be possible to spend forever trying to perfect it and still never be satisfied. How long is a piece of string, we ask ourselves?!? As with the last unit, I endeavoured to draw a line once the next unit was upon us, as there is much more coming up to contend with! Having said all that, there is inevitably a considerable amount of time to be spent on familiarisation – even before making a crack at the task – and then on trial and error. I’m intrigued to know if anybody does achieve all this in 4-5 hours? If so, please do divulge and I will try to up my game!

Difficulty: I find it is not so much a question of difficulty but of resolve and application. Cyberspace can be a lonely space at times and, personally, I cannot help but sometimes hanker after that sense of live creative buzz.  The actual creative process is enjoyable, albeit ‘fiddly” – as most things seem to be online – and it is rewarding (if somewhat surprising) when something halfway recognisable begins to emerge. What I do find difficult is when I cannot get to the bottom of why things have not worked in a certain way technically… It can be frustrating and even de-motivating when such issues remain unresolved, despite aiming for a less than perfectionist approach at this stage.  I find the synchronous sessions invaluable in this respect.

Andrew Burke
              Participant
                @andrew

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

Fine

Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

Very

Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

No, but then I’m generally slow with things. I think the second Rise task can be simplified, not the number of tasks but the content within. For example, the comprehension questions, once you know how to do it, you don’t need to do it 8 times.

Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

Fine

Juliet Parfitt
                Keymaster
                  @juliet

Thanks for your comments @azurial and @andrew. I think that’s right to move onto the next task and not get caught up in the details at the moment. These tools take a while to get the hang of, and I find it’s always useful to work alongside an eagle-eyed colleague who can help to check the content and that all the buttons work! Do feel free to add any technical questions you have to the forums. I’m sure that everyone (including me) would benefit from finding out the answer.

@andrew
                  that’s a good point about the comprehension questions, as long as it doesn’t detract from the lesson. I’ll take a look.

Andrew Burke
                  Participant
                    @andrew

Hi Juliet,

I mean as a tool to practise using Rise – I’m sure the comprehension questions themselves are valid.

Andrew

Zsofia Tarjani
                    Participant
                      @zsofit

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

It is easy, as usual.

Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

Another very useful lesson although I need a lot more practice.

Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

In general, creating materials takes me forever as I always end up changing and trying different options/tools.

Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

It wasn’t challenging per se but as I said,  I fiddle around a lot (which is not bad actually as I discover new features/tools/ways of doing things).

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.