Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
        @juliet

Please add any comments about the sixth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        Brenda Allen
        Participant
          @azurial

Navigation and design:  As ever
          Content: I’m not sure if I will be in a position to use Storyline much, but it was useful to see what is possible and to build up some hands on experience – however imperfect the outcome.  This is especially the case as many of the skills can transfer across different platforms, including ones still to be created.
          Timing: A few hours would seem reasonable to cover the content itself in detail.  However, again, dependent on all the variables, the tasks themselves could take limitless amounts of time and still fall far short of the ideal.
          Difficulty: It was pretty difficult for me.  Alas, this is borne out by not really having achieved my own objectives and – worse – not getting to the bottom of why I could not.  The course succeeds remarkably in leading us oh-so-gently into what can be daunting new challenges – with the scaffolding and videos perfectly pitched in this respect.  There is also lots of other help online.  (All of which takes time to locate, access and digest.)  However, right now, I am feeling there is sometimes no substitute for having a friendly and more expert colleague at hand to advise on technical glitches as they arise and to surmount obstacles which can take forever – and a day – to resolve when struggling in isolation.  Maybe this is a demonstration of the way in which online learning can work better than f2f in so many respects yet is also, inevitably, prone to fall down on the more human interface side.  No doubt it is also a matter of personal ‘learning style’, with those who are much more drawn than others to the lows and highs of lone problem solving!

Juliet Parfitt
          Keymaster
            @juliet

These are interesting points @azurial. I can certainly relate to this when it comes to the time I put in trying to work things out in Storyline. I guess it’s about balancing the time invested with the amount of likely use, reach, or value it adds to a programme. At least with Articulate 360, there is a really good support site/forum called E-Learning Heroes: https://community.articulate.com/discuss

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.