Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add any comments about the eighth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        Sue Everest
        Participant
          @sue

Hi@david and @juliet, I think I might need to come back to this section as it’s been taking up too much time. I’ve got stuck with formatting, which just wouldn’t work for me however often I watched the recording. Also, when it came to producing a video lesson I just couldn’t see how to save a video from youtube or Teded, I was only offered embed and url options. So feeling a little bit confused at the moment. My problem is that I haven’t as much time as I’d like to really come to grips with this unit. I think I’ll have to reconcile myself with a simpler completed assignment, just so that I do manage to produce something. :cry:

Brenda Allen
            Participant
              @azurial

Hi @Sue.  I’ve been thinking along the same lines – now at the point of abandoning the assignment I’d been envisaging in favour of something less ambitious :cry: . This is dispiriting – but expedient?  If it’s any consolation, I did not find much correlation between time spent and eventual success :unsure: !

Brenda Allen
            Participant
              @azurial

The course content, navigation and design have been consistently excellent throughout. Increasingly, I feel the above criteria do not really apply when considering the practical aspect.  In this unit the outcomes are (happily) not strictly specified and the amount of time needed to produce an acceptable result is therefore potentially infinite.  This can be true of any creative project – hence the “how long is a piece of string” adage.  The challenge in our upcoming assignment will be to reconcile all this and make it manageable for ourselves.

Sue Everest
              Participant
                @sue

@azurial Thanks for the words of support. I appreciate it. just wish I had more time! :good:

David Read
                Keymaster
                  @david

@sue and @azurial, don’t feel too despondent, video is one of the most notoriously tricky media to work with, particularly from a technical point of view. Lighting, sound, editing and formatting are all time-consuming and can be frustrating when you don’t get the result you want. Often it does come down to the equipment you have (camera/lighting/microphones) and the quality of the software (video editing software), but these things can be very expensive and it’s not always easy to do on a budget. One of the reasons we leave this unit towards the end is because we know we can’t really do it justice in the time available on the course – and I think we’d need a separate course to really do it justice – so we don’t want you to feel you necessarily have to incorporate it into the final assignment.

@sue
                  , you mentioned about having problems getting videos from YouTube and TEDED. Certainly YouTube has no default download button – it would cause way too many copyright issues – though there are websites and tools you can use to extract YouTube videos (such as KeepVid). I don’t think you can download videos from TED ED but you can download them from the main TED Talks websites – or at least many of them have a download option. All you need to do is select the video you want, click on the share icon and then look for the download option (see picture below). I don’t every video has that option, but most of them do.

Brenda Allen
                    Participant
                      @azurial

Hi @David and @Sue, just to say that I have been converting my youTube videos to MP4 files before uploading them to Clipchamp.  So far so good.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.