Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
          @juliet

Please add any comments about the ninth unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
          2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
          3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
          4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
          Akiko IWATA
          Participant
              @akiko

Hi there.

I used flip app in my class to record my video that read out students’ presentation text for them on last Tuesday, and they already knew how to use it (they said English instructors used it), and helped me to edit.:-)  (We can record just 1 min 30 sec in smartphone at a time.) They will send their reading video this weekend so that I can check their pronouciation etc, because they will present to Indonesian university students in Indonesian language on familiar topics this month. I arrange an online presentation event with a university in Indonesia. (They really love this event.) Until last year, I recorded my voice, but video will help them to know/check the pronounciation (from the movement around mouth), and it was very easy to upload the data (not too heavy to upload) in flip app. Thanks for the information.

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

It was very well navigated….too good.  I knew that there were no topic on outcomes until this unit, but I could not imagine the intention.

Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

Very useful. It’s time to wirte/edit syllabus for the next year (for university), so I read chapter 3 carefully.

Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

Yes, I think so. Maybe it took more than 4-5 hours for me, but it was around it.

Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

I think it was very appropriately scaffolded, if I recall what I have learnt so far. Still it is challenging for me because I’ve been putting off thinking seriously about the course map, syllabus, measurable outcome, and so on. I think writing my opinion on the google doc helped me to organise my ideas and review the situation objectively.

David Read
              Keymaster
                  @david

thanks @akiko for the feedback and great to hear that you were able to use Flip with your students successfully!

Also, congratulations on your success in the football against Spain! I watched the match and you definitely deserved to win. :yahoo:

Akiko IWATA
                  Participant
                      @akiko

Thanks @david on football the other day :-) The next match against Croatia is tommorrow after the last zoom session, right? It will be midnight here in Japan but I have to watch it!

I should have asked when we learned about accessibility, but I have a question.

In my regular class, which students’ age range vary from 20’s to 70’s (I really admire them) , not because dyslexia, but because of age-related long-sightedness and/or a mild sequelae of cerebral infarction, there is a participant who can’t read small font characters. When I taught in face-to-face class before Covid, I made handouts using big font size, but in ZOOM lesson now, I just send pdf using regular size font (but 12 point), because he said he would enlarge it when printing. Actually, I think it depands on me and the student/participant, but do you think it’s better to provide more suitable font-sized material as an instructor for diversity? The number of students with dyslexia is increasing in Japan, but they still feel difficult to ask for help because they have no legal framework (schools are expected to show their understandings for them).

Richard Davie
                      Participant
                          @egq22rd

All good. This was I was able to dash through (which I needed); but I’ll linger of the reading more presently, I promise…

Oh, the exercise where we matched the Design, Analysis, Evaluation etc. to their definitions, in my browser (Firefox) if I grabbed one of the words at the top I couldn’t drag/scroll down to the bottom, so I had to zoom out down to 70% just so I could match the final few answers. Design problem or Browser problem? (But very small potatoes anyway.)

David Read
                          Keymaster
                              @david

@egq22rd no, Richard, you’re right, it’s an activity we need to redesign as it doesn’t easily fit the screen on most browsers.

@akiko
                              , an interesting question. Obviously providing larger font documents is helpful but does create a lot of extra work for you. How do you normally share the documents with your students? Do you have a VLE you use such as Moodle, Blackboard or Canvas? A lot of them now will create alternative versions of documents that are easier to read for students with different learning difficulties. For example, in Blackboard, next to a document it will show the option for other formats:

When you click on that, it then shows a variety of formats it can be downloaded in that can make it easier to read:

I don’t really use Moodle but it seems like they may have a similar option/plugin available based on this webpage.

Which VLE do you use at your institution?

Tania Pacheco
                              Participant
                                  @tania-pacheco

Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

Yes, very easy!
                                  Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

Absolutely yes! I like the fact that first, we had to read the full article and then it was split in little chunks, and we had to give our opinions about it. It sticked more in that way.

Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

Well, I was very busy at work in the last two weeks, so I was running behind, I am catching up…I don’t like to leave loose ends although I am doing it at my own pace. :D

Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

Yes, it was indeed! Thank you, I’ve enjoyed doing this Unit!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.