Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the tools we focussed on, FLAX Learning Collocations and WebCorp. We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your concordance, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Prisila Mlingi
          Participant
              @prisila

According to me, Flax was easier to navigate compared to WebCorp which is too technical :-(

I would like more clarification on the purpose and/or  difference of tasks 1 & 2 in the WebCorp guide. Thank you.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Thank you for this question @prisila The purpose of these two tasks was to show you how important it is to tick ‘One concordance line per webpage’ box. This guarantees that your concordance lines are more representative as you get one line per webpage (Task 2); essentially, you get results from various pages in one block of concordance lines. If you don’t tick this box, then the results are organised in a different way i.e. a block of concordance lines from webpage 1, then webpage 2, then 3, and so on. This is evident in the fact that you can observe more word combinations when you have a sample from many webpages as opposed to a sample from one webpage only. Does this help?

If you have any questions about the terminology, feel free to ask. We’re happy to help.

Iain Newman
                  Participant
                      @inewman

My answers didn’t match.

In task 1, the url was a dictionary, not the WHO.

Task 4 I got – sweating, daytime sleepiness, salivation, sleepiness, and thirst.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                        Keymaster
                            @anastasios

Hello @inewman that’s absolutely normal for WebCorp. I think we have a note in the PDF version of the answer key. WebCorp is actually pulling live data from the internet, so the concordance lines are never the same for different users or when searching at a different time. If you were to repeat the searches tomorrow, you will probably get slightly different results. That’s one of the disadvantages to such virtual corpus tools.

Paula Acejo Cantero
                          Participant
                              @powla

I got the same results as Iain. I find Webcorp more interesting and complete and having url unticked is less user-friendly to read. :good: :good:

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                                Keymaster
                                    @anastasios

Thank you for sharing @powla I agree, it is not a very user-friendly tool and that’s why we introduce it with Flax quite early on the course. On the one hand, FLAX is very neat and user-friendly but does not have the traditional functions of corpus tool has e.g. concordancing, sorting, sampling, filtering, to name a few. On the other hand, Web Corp is unique as it is a live corpus of the web, so it might be interesting to those you want to examine elanguage (websites, blogs, etc.). Yet, as a platform is not the easiest to navigate. So, hopefully next week we will see how SketchEngine strikes a balance between offering advanced features and being user-friendly. By the way, I just did a search for gender (Task 1) – see attached screenshot – and I got the same results as I did when the guide was created, that is the webpage from WHO. Interesting… I wonder if this has to do with what we search for. I teach master’s students from ScHARR (School of Health and Related Research) and I tend to use sources relevant to their discipline. Hmm I shall investigate further.

Attachments:
                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              Viewing 4 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.