Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the tools we focussed on, FLAX Learning Collocations and WebCorp. We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your concordance, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Lu Ye
          Participant
              @egr22ly

Hello, Anastasios. I can’t open the FLAX website through the link. When I click on FlAX, I got HTTP status 404. I’ve got a VPN. I don’t know why it is like this. Can you please help me with it?  Thank you!

Lu Ye
              Participant
                  @egr22ly

Got it. Thank you.

Paul Middlemas
                  Participant
                      @paul-m

I was having the same issue, but it’s working now.

Thanks

Anna Smajdor
                      Participant
                          @anna-smajdor

Hello,

I think that the answers to Question 4 (A Guide to Flax) about the 5 most frequent phrases apart from “young people” are not:

a) in Wikipedia:

youngest people 44; talented young people 26; young people ages 16; several young people 12; young gay people 10

but

younger people 426; Young people 48; youngest people 44; local young people 42; disadvantaged young people 31.

b) in standard English (BNC)”:

young black people 16; Younger people 8; disadvantaged young people 6; talented young people 5; bright young people 4

but

Young people 158, younger people 145, young black people 16, young disabled people 14, homeless young people 10.

I am aware that it is not the most important thing and I hope I am not wrong. I just wanted to show that although I am a little bit late :scratch: I am doing the exercises ;-) .

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                          Keymaster
                              @anastasios

Hi @anna-smajdor thank you so much for spotting this. It looks like I read the results vertically. I’ll sort it out shortly and update the answer key.

Anna Smajdor
                              Participant
                                  @anna-smajdor

Thank you!

Now, I would like to ask a question about WebCorp tasks 2, 3, and 4. My answers are similar to the ones in the tasks answer key but not completely the same. Is it the effect of the fact that the WebCorp searches the web in real-time and the corpus is changing constantly?

I would be grateful, if you could look at my search settings in my attached results and tell me if they are correct.

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                  Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                                  Keymaster
                                      @anastasios

Hi @anna-smajdor yeah that’s correct. That’s the main limitation to consider if you use WebCorp Live in class; students will surely be able to notice similar patterns but they will not have exactly the same concordance lines. So, the suggested answers are based on the search I conducted when I was creating the handout and answer key. Your searches look fine :good:

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.