Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Beth Melia-Leigh
          @beth

General discussion forum. Post your thoughts and questions here on teaching, Delta, life, the universe…

Robert Dailey
          Participant
              @robertd

A quick question about the book How to Pass DELTA, by Williams, which was used for the task 3 DELTA test example in the unit on speaking and discourse. Would anyone recommend buying the book? Is it up-to-date? Thanks!

Nicholas Northall
                    @nick-northall

Hi Robert,

It’s a very good book and I would recommend it. Useful for all three modules.

Cheers,

Nick

Robert Dailey
                  Participant
                      @robertd

Thank you Nick.

Robert Dailey
                      Participant
                          @robertd

Hello everyone.

In the live session that´s just finished we discussed the possibility of having a sort of “informal online meet up” to generally chat and share ideas about the exam, course etc. Peter suggested that we could do this on the Thursdays that are in between the live sessions.

So in principle that would be every other Thursday, starting Thu 8 December (with interruptions of course for the Christmas period).

This works well with me, from about 16.00 (I couldnt´do it before as I have classes). Any thoughts? !

Cheers!

Erica
                            Participant
                                @erica

Hi Robert,

thanks for that.

On Thursdays work well for me – any time is fine.

Robert Dailey
                              Participant
                                  @robertd

Hi Erica,

I didn´t reply before as I was waiting to see if others on the course were interested.

Would anyone else like to meet up “informally” via Zoom/ Teams etc. to catch up/ talk about the course/ exam etc.?

Cheers!

Erica
                                    Participant
                                        @erica

:wacko:

Peter Wilson
                                      Participant
                                          @peterw

Hi Robert and Erica (and everyone else..),

Sorry for the very delayed response. I dropped the DELTA ball a wee bit after the live session on 1st December due to work and the build up to Christmas etc plus it was by birthday. I am now fervently trying to catch up. Obviously I missed the 8th but in principle I’d be happy to do an informal zoom sometime. Did this get mentioned again on the 15th? (I was bogged down with work and Christmas parties so will have to watch the video). Timewise I can do Thursday afternoons – do you mean 4pm GMT or European time? Do you know what the date of the next live class will be? If it’s a while off we could do one before. I’ll make sure I check in on this forum again regularly keep up to date.

On another topic, did you ever buy the How to Pass DELTA, by Williams book mentioned above Robert? Is it any good?

My colleague who has done DELTA one recommend this website, which he said is good for practice: https://www.eltconcourse.com/training/inservice/delta/delta_index.html

Robert Dailey
                                            Participant
                                                @robertd

Hi Peter,

Happy new year! Re the Williams book How to Pass DELTA I have found it useful and would say it´s worth spending the about 15 pounds that it costs on Amazon. Hope this helps,

Robert

Erica
                                              Participant
                                                  @erica

Hi Robert, don’t worry I imagined you were waiting for more replies.

Hi Peter, don’t worry you haven’t missed any informal meetings as we are still trying to organise a suitable day and time.

I think there are more of us who would be interested in joining these informal chats…. I wonder whether all of us is aware of the existence of this “general discussion forum”. Perhaps we should point it out during the next live session.

Peter Wilson
                                                  Participant
                                                      @peterw

OK good idea. Merry Christmas 🎄 and enjoy your New Year celebrations 🔔. See you soon.

Erica
                                                      Participant
                                                          @erica

Hi guys,

happy new year!

Have you done the mock exam yet?

Robert Dailey
                                                          Participant
                                                              @robertd

Hi Erica,

Happy new year!

Yes, I did it earlier today. Have you done it?

Cheers!

Peter Wilson
                                                              Participant
                                                                  @peterw

Hello,

I was planning to do it at the weekend but didn’t get round to it. I’m going to send it in on Wednesday this week as I have some time then.

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Have a good week :bye:</p>

Erica
                                                                  Participant
                                                                      @erica

Well done Robert!

How did it go? How do you feel?

Like Peter, I didn’t manage to do it over the weekend …. I’ll do it on Thursday as it’s my day off.

Fingers crossed!!!!!!

I feel quite nervous and it’s just PAPER 1 MOCK!!

Robert Dailey
                                                                      Participant
                                                                          @robertd

Hi Erica, Peter

I felt some time pressure during the 90 minutes and in some cases I found myself putting down the best answer I could think of in the time available while feeling at the same that it wasn´t really correct.

But I´m glad I did it and got it out of the way for now. I´m sure I´ll learn a lot from the experience.

Good luck Erica and Peter when you do it!

On a different subject, what do you (and anyone else) think about having an informal meet-up this Thursday afternoon/ evening?

Some time from 17.00 UK time?

Cheers

• #53956
                                                                          Peter Wilson
                                                                          Participant
                                                                              @peterw

Hi guys, I think I’m gonna have to do the same and just guess quickly if I don’t know. It’s a but nerve-wracking, but I think it’ll be a useful activity and because the pass mark is reactively low, that should hopefully give us a good shot at passing. :mail:

I can meet tomorrow yes – 5pm is fine with me. I can try to make sure I’m back home and not travelling then if we go for it. :good:

• #54038
                                                                              Erica
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                  @erica

Hi guys,

I’m in tomorrow – 5 pm UK time is perfect.

Shall we use Blackboard?

• #54039
                                                                                  Robert Dailey
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                      @robertd

Hi Erica, whatever is good with you. Are you OK to create an invitation/ set up a link?

• #54115
                                                                                      Erica
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                          @erica

To use Blackboard:

1- click on the blue link under the Synchronous Session section

“The full schedule of the live (synchronous) sessions”

2- a new window will be open. In this document there is a link under the table. It’s a link to live sessions, click on it.

3 – If we don’t manage this way, we’ll try a ZOOM meeting instead.

Write on this forum page.

• #54125
                                                                                          Peter Wilson
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                              @peterw

OK thanks. I’ll give it a go. Just emailed my mock over to the guys :unsure:

• #54368
                                                                                              Erica
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                  @erica

Hi guys,

well done! I have just checked the answers to the mock and I think we all supplied many correct answers! We are on the right track!

From what I recall from our little chat I personally think that Robert is good at writing definitions in task 2 (Top-down was spotless) and Peter is good at task 3 (comparative adjectives, etc. well done!). As we all said about task 4, Organisation could have been listed either as a strength or a weakness. As for task 5, I was wrong…. “from then on” is a adverbial phrase not a prepositional one! damn it! There is always something to learn. However, I am always surprised to see how many “obvious things” can be listed in task 5 to get more points!

Speak to you soon!

Have a lovely weekend!

• #54946
                                                                                                  Robert Dailey
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                      @robertd

Hi Erica, Peter (and everyone else!)

Just checking that we are still meeting up “informally” today, Thursday 19 January.

Was it 7 pm UK time? Using blackboard again?

Thanks!

• #54951
                                                                                                      Erica
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                          @erica

Hello!

yes, today at 7:00 pm UK.  Blackboard is fine!

see you later!

• #54972
                                                                                                          Robert Dailey
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                              @robertd

Ok, great, see you at 19.00.  Cheers!

• #59753
                                                                                                              Robert Dailey
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                  @robertd

Hi Nik, Manuel,

Regarding functions,, can you recommend a book that I can dip in and out of/ apply in class. I can see one being really useful, especially when used with role plays etc. Thanks !!

• #59772
                                                                                                                    Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Robert,

Sure. Here are a few resources:

Discussions that work (Penny Ur)

700 classroom activities (Dave Seymour)

Grammar Games (Rinvolucri)

When I’m back in the office I can also check our shelves.

Thanks,
                                                                                                                        Nick

• #59855
                                                                                                                        Robert Dailey
                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                            @robertd

That´s great Nick – thanks a lot.

• #59872
                                                                                                                            Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                                                                @nick-northall

Also:

Advanced Communication Games (Jill Hadfield)

Discussions A-Z (Adrian Wallwork)

Cheers,

Nick

• #60797
                                                                                                                              Robert Dailey
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                  @robertd

Hello everyone,

In doing some practice for P1, T5, I decided to analyse a piece of text from the newspaper article that I used recently in a class.

This is the text:

Swiss bank acts to stengthen liquidity after jitters over its financial health.

I have a question about the word class of “after”: at first I had it as a conjunction, then as a preposition, but an adverb is also an option.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

• #60798
                                                                                                                                  Robert Dailey
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                      @robertd

My shot is that after is an adverb and that after jitters over its financial health is an adverbial clause of time.

Any thoughts anyone?

• #61613
                                                                                                                                        Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                                                            @nick-northall

Hi Robert,

Very interesting! And very satisfying to know that you are preparing for the exam:)

I would agree with you as ‘after’ modifies the verb ‘act’.   However, you could argue that the it is a preposition and clause as it starts with a preposition and ends with a noun (financial health).

My hope is that Cambridge won’t include anything this ambiguous!

Any other takers?

Cheers,

Nick

• #61084
                                                                                                                                          Robert Dailey
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                              @robertd

Can anyone recommend an article (or 2) about the principles of coursebook design? I am thinking here P2 T2. Thanks

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                                                                                                          • The forum ‘DELTA Module One (Archived)’ is closed to new topics and replies.