Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
          @david

Copy and paste the text or attach your file to the post. Also, answer this question:

Based on your course analysis, identify two concrete things that the course could change to make it more effective?

Akiko IWATA
          Participant
              @akiko

Hi, I attach my file. Sorry, I couldn’t make it shorter.

1. The weak point from my course is periodic (or mid-term) assessments. I know I need to make something, but I don’t have a good idea for it.

First, it is difficult to measure the improvement if they don’t engage in enough time.

Second, I believe that the understanding of advanced Indonesian grammar and sentence structure (syntax?) will play a key role on high-level interpreting skills rather than note-taking, retention, shadowing skills, but I do not know how to test this without spending too much time. And I don’t spend much time to teach it, because they want to practice interpretation and learn interpretation skills rather than studying grammar and so on. There are many people who can answer well on paper but not in the listening /oral situation. But probably, for mid-term, the paper test will become a choice rather than nothing, and it’s better I focus on what I teach.

2. Outcome should be improved also. I give them feedback after their performance, but it is not measurable. Is there any examples that will inspire me? :unsure:

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Richard Davie
              Participant
                  @egq22rd

Which course are you going to write about?
                  This one

Orientation: did the course make the course design clear through a course orientation, introductions, a syllabus, summaries at the beginning/end of units, clear navigation?
                  Yes.

Learning outcomes: did the course provide clear learning outcomes for the whole course and individual modules/units/lessons?
                  Yes. TBH, I seldom read through or can take them in if I do. I’m guessing a short (speed controllable!) video/audio talking them through would help me take them in.

Assessments: are there periodic checks of students’ progress through a variety of activities? Are the assessment activities linked to the learning outcomes?
                  Yes.

Sometimes, the creation of our own material was hard (I fell out of love of with my stuff on passives!). I did like the task with Rise where the content already existed and we had to put it into a platform. More of that, at least as an option instead of your own creation, would be good; even ‘use this material and add more exercises’.

Course materials: are they relevant, free of unnecessary content, and organised in a logical sequence of meaningful chunks?
                  Yes. Clearly a lot of thought.

Instructional Strategies: does the course use best practices in the design of the content (e.g. principles of online content design – coherence, multimedia etc)? Are there opportunities for interactions between the students themselves and between the students and the teacher?
                  Yes (sorry to be boring; if I noted anything significant on this, it already went into the other forums), though see what I said

• under Assessments about having more opportunity to adapt existing material rather than make our own (at least as an alternative)
                  • in the Unit 8 Feedback Forum about the chance to look at negative examples as well (even you critiquing your own earlier versions of things that are now finally honed). BTW, if you want to add a waiver form about using our practice material for your teaching purposes, I’m happy to sign it (and that’s not said in any confidence in the excellence of my stuff, I can assure you!)

Technology and multimedia: does the use of technology (e.g. VLE or course platform) help meet the learning outcomes of the course? Do the course materials provide clear support and guidance for students on how to use the technology on the course or who to contact if they have problems?
                  Absolutely!

Navigation and accessibility: Is the navigation/layout easy and accessible for students? Is it easy to find all the course materials and are assignment submissions clearly signposted and easy to locate?
                  Knowing how to find where you left off when going back in took a bittle of fiddling at first, though that may be an issue of how the whole Training Foundry LMS is set up.

Finding your way from the Foundry homepage notifications back to the forum to which it relates appeared impossible; but again, that’s on Foundry more generally I’m guessing.

David Read
                  Keymaster
                      @david

thanks @akiko and @egq22rd for your comments

Akiko, hopefully with what you’ve learnt on this course you can begin to provide more interactive activities and (in)formal assessments for the students on the course. This assumes you have access to some of these tools (Wordwall, H5P, Articulate etc) but hopefully you can find some way to access them through an institution or personally that is not expensive (or free ideally!). I think this will help fill in some of the gaps in the course design.

I’m not sure I have any specific examples of objectives to look at,  but you can go to sites such as FutureLearn that run a lot  of online courses and see examples of objectives from their courses, such as the ones below:

Richard, thanks for your detailed comments on our course, some useful things for us to take away there – especially the fact that you liked the sections where you had to create the pre-written materials as it’s something we feel we need to include more of.

Interestingly you mention that it would be useful to have a video going through the objectives of each unit. In fact this is something we do on all the other courses we run on the Foundry but we decided not to do it on this one as an experiment as we felt it was doubling up on information that was already written down. Creating the videos was also quite time consuming and if we changed one objective in a unit, we had to then reshoot the whole video to insert it in.

ann clayton
                      Participant
                          @ann-c

Course Online pronunciation course
                          Orientation was clear, because very simple
                          Learning outcomes did not match the activities/course description. The course was divided in two and it was although there were two different courses running, neither of which particularly matched the course objectives. One strand had logical progression. Learning outcomes were not assessed. It was a 6 week course
                          Assessments – There was no ongoing assessment, which led to lack of motivation and lack of reviewing content between sessions.
                          Course materials – pre-tasks/information would have made the live teaching far more relevant and provided a background to context
                          Instructional strategies – just live video – recording it meant it was possible to go back to it later though. Each weekly session was for an hour. There was very little to do between sessions.
                          Technology and multi media – very basic, live recordings on zoom, with basic presentations sharing screens
                          Navigation and accessibility – instructions for the media activity were clear, recording of live sessions meant I could refer back to documentation. Links supplied of activities which was helpful too (but I don’t think these were centrally accessible – had to copy and paste during live sessions from chat box)

I think it could have been a good course and it definitely sparked in me an interest in how to do it better…….

Tim Radnor
                          Participant
                              @timr

Online Course Design Standards
                              Name of course

Future Learn (Open University) Writing Fiction course

Orientation
                              Orientation: did the course make the course design clear through a course orientation, introductions, a syllabus, summaries at the beginning/end of units, clear navigation?

Yes.

Learning outcomes
                              Learning outcomes: did the course provide clear learning outcomes for the whole course and individual modules/units/lessons?

Very clear for each week (unit). Could have been better laid out i.e. having the same format for them each week would have given course more structure. Some LOs were a bit ‘hidden’ within an introductory video.

Assessments
                              Assessments: are there periodic checks of students’ progress through a variety of activities? Are the assessment activities linked to the learning outcomes?

Peer feedback as the course is uncredited.

Course materials
                              Course materials: are they relevant, free of unnecessary content, and organised in a logical sequence of meaningful chunks?

Yes, largely.

Instructional Strategies
                              Instructional Strategies: does the course use best practices in the design of the content (e.g. principles of online content design – coherence, multimedia etc)? Are there opportunities for interactions between the students themselves and between the students and the teacher?

Lots of opportunities for interactions between the students themselves – this is central to the course (a workshop approach), both informal comments and also more structured group peer feedback tasks where you were allocated to review other’s writing.

Technology and multimedia
                              Technology and multimedia: does the use of technology (e.g. VLE or course platform) help meet the learning outcomes of the course? Do the course materials provide clear support and guidance for students on how to use the technology on the course or who to contact if they have problems?

To an extent. Although more use of H5P/Rise would’ve helped improve interactivity and multimedia elements. For example, video input was good (mix of text-based slides with commentaries and some talking heads) but adding questions using a tool like EdPuzzle would have helped engage students more I think

Navigation and accessibility
                              Navigation and accessibility: Is the navigation/layout easy and accessible for students? Is it easy to find all the course materials and are assignment submissions clearly signposted and easy to locate?

Yes, very clear and easy-to-use with use of ‘blank space’ (felt very uncluttered). Easy to go back and forth between weeks and lessons.

Tania Pacheco
                              Participant
                                  @tania-pacheco

Name of course

LLL Spanish L2a

Orientation

Yes, It followed a similar structure as a face to face and it was adapted to be taught online. For example: navigation buttons were created, clear instructions for every single task, animations, etc… The course was taught on Teams. For those who were unable to attend because of COVID, they needed to take the online version.

Learning outcomes

Yes, each unit, module and lesson have their learning objective.

Assessments

Yes, new vocabulary or new grammar point has their own set of practice tasks. I also like to review taught grammar points with mini tests and a reflection of the points that they need to re-visit or practice. Then, I let to settle down a little bit, and I go back to the complex grammar after two weeks and I do a quick revision again with a mini test.  The reason I do this is because myself, I easily forget anything that I’ve read or learnt, I need a lot of practice and revision, so I believe the rest of the humanity need the same.

Course materials

With experience, I’ve learnt that less is more. I am not saying that I have skinny activities, but I’ve used to bombard with extra resources and links. Nowadays, I stick to one or two, after doing a very close study, so I know what exactly I want them to practise.

In terms of organisation. I do the following: (this is just a random example)

1. (folder) 2023 >

2. (name of the course) SLO 2a >

3. (Term) – Term 1 >

4. (Example of weekly lessons) >

L1 Unit 1_Introduction

L2 Greetings_nationalities_countries

L3 Family_house L4 etc…

It works for me; I can easily find each lesson. I remember in the past, naming the folder just by weeks. It was impossible to find a specific lesson. Now, I take the time to write what each lesson is about so I can reuse it for other courses.

Instructional Strategies

I’ve tried to use as far as I knew at that time. However, after doing this course, I am integrating slowly the good practice.

Yes, we have a good team that provides support to students when they face technological problems. I share the information at the beginning of the course, and I ask from time to time whether they are using the platform actively, I encourage them to use it.

I believe yes. I normally show the information at the beginning of each term: how to access, where to click, and where to find my lessons, etc…

Joanne Tindall
                                  Participant
                                      @jomtindall

Name of course

Intstructional design

Orientation

Yes, in general. Sometimes it was hard to find the right place at the start, but as I became used to it, it was easier.

Learning outcomes

Yes, and this was very helpful in terms of keeping me motivated and on track in terms of motivation

Assessments

Yes very much so and this is crucial for consolidation and helping the students to remember that they are achieving or that they need to revisit some parts

Course materials

Absolutely.  This is so helpful as such  a detailed and heavy course could be overwhelming. It is important to feel it is always doable and achieveable

Instructional Strategies

Yes, it consisted of  multiple representation, Contiguity, coherence and signalling. The online zoom session once a week which was also recorded made me think I was not working alone in isolation. This was also the case with sharing our own work on message boards

Yes, i always felt supported and David was great it I had a problem or question

Yes

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.