Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Copy and paste the text or attach your file to the post. Also, answer this question:

Based on your course analysis, identify two concrete things that the course could change to make it more effective?

sue robbins
        Participant
          @suerobbins

Hi @david The link is to Clark & Meyer chapter 14. Is that right? Thanks

Thomas Leach
          Participant
            @thomasleach

@david – Hey, sorry David, the link opens chapter 14 – Who’s in Control but we need Chapter 3 from Nilson and Goodman. Cheers.

David Read
            Keymaster
              @david

sorry about that @suerobbins and @thomasleach, that’s what comes from sloppy copy and paste from another unit  – copied the button but forgot to change the link! Thanks for letting me know, I’ve changed it now.

sue robbins
                Participant
                  @suerobbins

Thanks!

Thomas Leach
                  Participant
                    @thomasleach

No problem. I actually bought the book for this one after you recommended it anyway. Cheers.

PANAGIOTA TZANNI
                  Participant
                    @ptzanni

Name of course
                    Which course are you going to write about?
                    Corpus skills for teachers

Orientation
                    Orientation: did the course make the course design clear through a course orientation, introductions, a syllabus, summaries at the beginning/end of units, clear navigation?
                    The course contained introductions, an outline of the units and their learning outcomes, summaries and a clear navigation.

Learning outcomes
                    Learning outcomes: did the course provide clear learning outcomes for the whole course and individual modules/units/lessons?
                    The course had clear learning outcomes, such as ”by the end of this unit, you will design 3 corpus activities using Sketch Engine.

Assessments
                    Assessments: are there periodic checks of students’ progress through a variety of activities? Are the assessment activities linked to the learning outcomes?
                    We didn’t have any assessments during the course, only the final one.

Course materials
                    Course materials: are they relevant, free of unnecessary content, and organised in a logical sequence of meaningful chunks?
                    The material was designed in a clear way and although the concepts presented were complex, they managed to break it down.

Instructional Strategies
                    Instructional Strategies: does the course use best practices in the design of the content (e.g. principles of online content design – coherence, multimedia etc)? Are there opportunities for interactions between the students themselves and between the students and the teacher?
                    The only principle that was not followed exactly is that of the interaction. I believe we should have weekly lessons there as well practising designing corpus tasks and more collaboration among the students.

Technology and multimedia
                    Technology and multimedia: does the use of technology (e.g. VLE or course platform) help meet the learning outcomes of the course? Do the course materials provide clear support and guidance for students on how to use the technology on the course or who to contact if they have problems?
                    It was clear how to use all the technologies used in the course.

Navigation and accessibility
                    Navigation and accessibility: Is the navigation/layout easy and accessible for students? Is it easy to find all the course materials and are assignment submissions clearly signposted and easy to locate?
                    Yes, the final assessment though could have been given at the beginning of the course.

sue robbins
                    Participant
                      @suerobbins

FutureLearn course ‘Blended and Online Learning design’

Orientation: clear rationale (based on Laurillard’s Conversational Framework). Clear introductions/summaries and navigation

Learning outcomes: clear learning outcomes

Assessments: there are periodic checks of students’ progress through a variety of activities, but these are limited in range and can be very formulaic.

Course materials: relevant and organised

Instructional Strategiesoveruse of video is tiresome. Opportunities to interact with other are provided through the forum and these seem popular though I tend to avoid them myself as they don’t meet my own motivations for doing the course. Very limited options for interactions with the teacher.

Technology and multimedia: the platform is readily accessible. Very few expectations for the use of technology, making the MOOC widely accessible

Navigation and accessibility: the navigation is clear and accessible.

Caitlin Coyle
                      Participant
                        @caitlin

Online Course Design Standards
                        Name of course

General English: Advanced C1

Orientation
                        Orientation: did the course make the course design clear through a course orientation, introductions, a syllabus, summaries at the beginning/end of units, clear navigation?

There was an introduction on Moodle and each unit had a tile on Moodle including the assessment tile

Learning outcomes
                        Learning outcomes: did the course provide clear learning outcomes for the whole course and individual modules/units/lessons?

There were course learning outcomes for each of the four skills and individual lesson aims

Assessments
                        Assessments: are there periodic checks of students’ progress through a variety of activities? Are the assessment activities linked to the learning outcomes?

The summative assessments were constructively aligned to the learning outcomes but I think there could have been more opportunity for formative asynchronous assessment

Course materials
                        Course materials: are they relevant, free of unnecessary content, and organised in a logical sequence of meaningful chunks?

I think certain aspects could have been introduced earlier in the course.

Instructional Strategies
                        Instructional Strategies: does the course use best practices in the design of the content (e.g. principles of online content design – coherence, multimedia etc)? Are there opportunities for interactions between the students themselves and between the students and the teacher?

This is something I really wanted to improve on–> especially the use of multimedia–> I think H5P will really help with this

Technology and multimedia: does the use of technology (e.g. VLE or course platform) help meet the learning outcomes of the course? Do the course materials provide clear support and guidance for students on how to use the technology on the course or who to contact if they have problems?

I think more guides for Moodle and Zoom could have been provided but virtual tours were provided during the first live class.  The IT helpdesk and teacher for IT problems.

Navigation and accessibility: Is the navigation/layout easy and accessible for students? Is it easy to find all the course materials and are assignment submissions clearly signposted and easy to locate?

I think things were clearly signposted on different tiles on Moodle.

Based on your course analysis, identify two concrete things that the course could change to make it more effective?

1. I would like to add more interactive, asynchronous activities to future courses to check basic understanding

2. Perhaps I could create more visual guides or videos on how to use Zoom and Moodle

Aline André
                        Participant
                          @aline

I have only taken two online courses. Both courses were provided by ELTC, and they followed similar structures. Therefore, my answers to the previous questions were all “yes”. The only aspect that I would have a more elaborate answer would be for unnecessary content. I thought learning about Storyline was irrelevant for me, i.e., this is very personal. The tool may be of some useful use for others. It takes time and a lot of clicks to make things look just good in Storyline. This is not a tool that I plan to use in the future.

Bernadette Kelly
                          Participant
                            @berniek

Name of course
                            Instructional Design for Language Teachers

Orientation
                            The course design was made very clear and navigation was was clear.

Learning outcomes
                            Learning outcomes were made clear throughout the course.

Assessments
                            There were no formal assessments during the course but plenty of formative assessment in terms of the activities and through peer and tutor feedback on them for each unit.

Course materials
                            Yes – the course design makes sense and the purpose of everything is clear. There is no ‘padding’.

Instructional Strategies
                            Yes. Plenty of opportunities for interactions with other students and with the teacher. I really liked the weekly meetings on this course as they gave an opportunity to ask questions about anything that came up during the course.

Definitely helps to meet the learning outcomes and although I think it’s a steep learning curve, it is not ‘frightening’. I think this is the result of very careful course design.

Yes, they are easy to locate on a unit-by-unit basis and downloadable so you can put them in weekly folders.

Two concrete things?

Just one for me.

1. This is just a personal preference, but if each week’s material were made available on the Friday of the week before I think that would help participants who have a heavier workload at the start of the week. I felt as though I was well ‘through’ the week before I saw the week.

Paula Villegas Verdu
                            Participant
                              @paula_villegas

Name of course
                              This course!

Orientation
                              yes. The left-hand menu is very handy when revising/ looking for specific information.

Learning outcomes
                              yes (course & unit)

Assessments
                              yes, the activities also include automatic feedback/ peer feedback & instructor’s feedback

Course materials
                              yes, content is easy to navigate too so I can find what I am looking for very quickly

Instructional Strategies
                              yes (and yes I answer this already)

aye

yes

two concrete things? I don’t know sorry. It seems to work really well as it is so :unsure:

Viewing 9 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.