Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

Share your reflections on any of the following questions:

• How did you do in the task?
          • What do you think the purpose of the task was?
          • How would you adapt the task if you had to use it in class?
          • What activity would you do as a follow up? (something that involves the use of Word Sketch and/or Concordancing)
          • Add your own reflections…
          Siti Asmiyah
          Participant
              @siti-asmiyah

·         How did you do in the task?

I first try to understand the words in the circle and try to figure out the theme and topic.

·         What do you think the purpose of the task was?

To enable students to understand the relationship among words and to understand the environment/context of the word

·         How would you adapt the task if you had to use it in class?

·         I will probably use it for the lower level with class of words in the bubble

·         What activity would you do as a follow up? (something that involves the use of Word Sketch and/or Concordancing) ask the students to write sentences from the word or write a paragraph

·         Add your own reflection

·         For students with lower level of proficiency I will probably select words that do not appear in more than two circles because having the same words in more than one circle may be confusing.

Prisila Mlingi
              Participant
                  @prisila

I understand that different disciplines have words that are very typical in those disciplines. So I asked myself if the words belong to Arts & Humanities or Social Sciences e.t.c, how do I go further to group them? For example vaccine & disease are words in the Health Sciences so they belong together.

I think the purpose of the task is to show students the connections between words that are related by the fact that they belong to a specific discipline.  Also to show them how these words collocate with the language pattern being discussed, i.e. develop +understanding+ object.

I have to be honest, despite my completing the task and my understanding of it, I still find it difficult to comprehend its adaptation in my class/lessons.

I find the exercise quite difficult, I guess I need more practice on this.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                  Keymaster
                      @anastasios

Thank you for your contribution @prisila You’re right – the purpose of this task was to show teachers how the collocates of a word can show us the ‘aboutness’ of the discipline or the corpus in a visual. As for extending the task, you could ask the students to choose two collocations and examine their concordance lines and whether they are in the active, passive or both. For example, do we tend to say that a person develops understanding or understanding is developed? How about disease and vaccine? Hope this idea helps a little. But you are right – it will take time and practice and plenty of experimentation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.