Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bashar
      Keymaster
          @bashar

We asked you to try out ONE of the two tools we’ve looked at in the module (or with colleagues/kids if you were not teaching) and to make some notes on the following areas:

• Which tool did you decide to use? Why? What did you do with the students?
          • Do you think the task or activity was in some way enhanced by the use of technology? If we think about it in terms of SAMR, was the activity an example of Substitution? Augmentation? Modification? Redefinition? 

Please add your ideas to this topic by replying below and sharing your experiences. Also, please remember to come back later in the week and respond to any comments that other people have made, either about their own lessons or about yours.

Catherine Lewis
          Participant
              @catherine21

Hello everyone

I tried using Quizlet to revise informal versus formal vocabulary for my IELTS class in terms of writing task 2.  I used some flashcards that were already available on Quizlet due to time constraints. This is a particularly important area of vocabulary as many students are under the impression that IELTS writing should be informal. I put the activity on the VLE for students to access asynchronously with some written instructions.  A couple of students found it difficult to flip the flashcards so were unable to do the first activity. So we went over it in class and I put students into breakout rooms to try out the different activities on Quizlet.  I think these were good awareness raising activities of the need to use informal vocab. In the future I will try to create my own activities.

I am still not too familiar with the notion of SAMR but I will have a go. The flash cards/matching activities  would seem to refer to Substitution/Augmentation of a paper-based activity without the need to cut up pieces of paper before a lesson . So I feel the activity was enhanced by the use of technology as students could complete this activity as many times they wanted asynchronously and they could use it on their own. In addition, vocabulary is tested in many different ways which is also very helpful. (Gravity would seem to be an additional fun activity that students may or may not choose to do depending on their learning styles).

If these activities are used in breakout rooms, it means that students from different countries can work together so there would be a sense of Modification (I think). Quizlet can also be used to check spelling which is very important for IELTS (and EAP). If all the activities are completed, Quizlet is a good tool for students to consolidate vocabulary sets either on their own or with other students. Redefinition could be a follow up activity whereby students work in groups to read a student essay and highlight informal vocabulary and then make suggestions as to how to make the writing more formal using the chat function.  But I suppose this might be clearer with the use of GoogleDocs or Padlet. So maybe integrating  Quizlet with other online learning tools would be a good idea.

Jamie Sullivan
              Participant
                  @jamie

For this task I decided to use Quizlet as I haven’t used it in my teaching to date in my current role. I also chose Quizlet as goven the individual 1:1 nature of my sessions, it seemed more apt than Socrative for the size of my class (or lack thereof).

One of my students asked me to help her revise for her upcoming exam next week in our 1:1 tuition session. She is studying Nursing and Midwifery. I asked her to send me on the course content she wished to revise. All of the material was slides with the content and then, usually, multiple choice questions on the next slide. Some questions could be adapted for written responses and short answer responses, while others were suitable for the matching option. As the course materials were already in multiple choice format, this was a bit of a no-brainer too. After I inputted the material, I then used the ‘test’ option on Quizlet to create the quiz.

What went well:

– Allowed for real-time results and indication/analysis of questions answered incorrectly

– It was fairly problem free in setting up as once I input the question material, Quizlet generated the format of the test itself

– There was a balance between matching, written response, short answer and multiple-choice questions

– It identified problem areas for the student clearly and quickly

– It provided a break for me in the middle of quite an intensive 1:1 tuition session!

– The student mentioned how she found studying less monotonous using learning software like Quizlet

– I have access to the revision materials created on Quizlet to allow the student to use in her own time, using the ‘copy link’ option

– The student learned a new way of using Quizlet

– The student gained an insight into how beneficial using an SpLD Tutor could be for revision purposes rather than just academic writing analysis fir example.

What could be better for next time:

– As I had informed the student that we would be using Quizlet, she mentioned she was already a bit familiar with it.

– It was time consuming to input all the information.

– There was a little bit of repetition in the format of some of the questions

Overall, I think I will use Quizlet again for revision sessions with students, if their course materials are suitable, and I have the time to prep it. Reflecting on the SAMR Model and its application to Quizlet, I think this activity was an example of modification as Quizlet allowed me to create a test and receive real-time marking feedback which would not be possible in a traditional classroom within the time constraints of our session.

Karolina Jasinska
                  Participant
                      @karolinajas

Hi everyone,

1. I decided to use Socrative and I created a quiz checking requirements and deadlines for one of my students’ assessments. I used it at the end of the class to check how much they remembered and to find out what I needed to spend time on in the coming classes. I really like that I can see the results for every individual student and that I know which parts they struggled with (in Socrative Reports section).

2. I think the use of Socrative made the quiz more entertaining (gamified instead of using paper) and generally enhanced the experience. I’d say that definitely counts as Augmentation. I tried to come up with something that would take it up to the next level but couldn’t think of anything more I could do with Socrative. That’s why I asked my students to use the padlet to post some post-quiz reflections and comments regarding what they still need to work on re their assessment. I think this could possibly be considered Modification but I did cheat and used two different tools.

Bashar
                      Keymaster
                          @bashar

Thanks @catherine21, @Jamie and @karolinajas for posting about your experiences. It is good to read that you have employed these tools for different purposes e.g. reviewing vocab, revision for an assessment, orientation as well as using different modes of delivery e.g. synchronous and asynchronous. As is the case with most tools,  preparation time is often a concern for most teachers with a busy schedule. It is good that we can utilise and adapt ready-made templates when there is little time to start from scratch. Luckily, most tools tend to have a bank of ready-made resources and templates. One point which might also be considered here is how much material to include i.e. how many items/flashcards or questions to include without risking a cognitive overload on the part of students, repetition in terms of presentation and preparation time on the part of teachers. It’s good to read that you have found the SAMR model helpful in thinking and evaluating how classroom technologies could enhance or transform your tasks.

Haibing Hou
                          Participant
                              @ellen-hou

The biggest feature of Quizlet is humanization. The wordbook is very helpful. Students can also input what they need to remember. They can Combine with their own learning practices and form the individual wordbook.It is such a flexible learning software.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.