Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bashar
        @bashar

Now you’ve had a chance to use one or more of the tools, we’d like you to share your experience. You can make any notes you want, but you might want to think about the following questions:

1. How easy was it to set up the lesson?
        2. How did your students engage with the material?
        3. In terms of SAMR, do you think the lesson went beyond simple substitution? If so, how?
        Catherine Lewis
        Participant
          @catherine21

Hello everyone

I tried the Ted Ed lesson ‘stress and the brain’ (not with students) which had already been prepared. I copied the lesson and I shared the link. However, I had problems viewing the results. With one person I could see the answers to the multiple choice questions (this person could not type her answers) and with the other person I could only see the answers to the discussion questions . The link I was given to review the answers didn’t work. I could find the results via the notification icon. I found out that the first person had signed in and the second person hadn’t. Although this practice run was not part of an actual lesson, it highlights the need to give clear step by step instructions. I think if I were to use this in the future with students, I would create my own lesson and make sure that I follow the steps more carefully. I would also make sure that all students are able to access the materials in a synchronous session after sharing the link.

In terms of the SAMR model, I think this type of activity seems to go beyond simple substitution. Students have easier access to a range of activities (multiple choice, discussion and various links to additional information linked to he topic). Using Ted Ed means that students have easy access to this information and they can access it anytime they want to and as many times as they want to. I think this lesson takes the student beyond just comprehension questions. The ‘dig deeper’ section is useful to provide students with additional informal linked to the topic which in an EAP setting could be journal articles. The discussion questions mean that students are encouraged to engage with the material in a more critical way. The teacher can also monitor a students ability to think critically which is really important in an EAP setting. The ‘And finally’ section would be a good way to link asynchronous activities with synchronous activities.  I think as long as this sort of activity is not over used, it would be worthwhile setting up a Ted Ed activity for students to complete as apart of a flipped lesson.

Bashar
            @bashar

Hi @catherine21

Thanks for reporting on your experience with TED Ed.

With TED Ed, students have the option of signing up for an account or just choosing a nickname (according to their terms of use learners under 13 can’t create an account). If Ss sign up for an account, they’ll be able to take part in both the multiple choice (Think section) and discussion and the teacher can send feedback. With a username, Ss are required to complete the video in one session and they won’t be able to participate in the discuss section either. Feedback is also not possible because TED has no contact details (email) they can use to get in touch and pass on the teacher’s feedback. I’m sharing more information from the TED Ed support page.

As you say, this goes to show how important it is to give clear and step-by-step instructions on how to access and use the video tool as well as the task.

Haibing Hou
            Participant
              @ellen-hou

I often used Ted in my class. Students like it very much. Flipped classroom makes teachers and students have a good interaction. A major disadvantage of the traditional classroom is that teachers often teach knowledge in the classroom, and do not set aside enough time for students to digest the knowledge learned, and communicate with teachers. In the flipped classroom, students can combine theory with practice by organizing different special activities, so as to deepen the understanding and application of the learned knowledge.

Jamie Sullivan
              Participant
                @jamie

Hi everyone,

How easy was it to set up the lesson?
                I chose to try VideoAnt as it is a tol I have not utilised before. I decided to use this video that I recommend to my EAP students from The Lecturette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2lm6HLDqQ

It was straight forward and didn’t require too much set up time. I added my own annotations at:

0:47 – looking at why an interesting opening I so important. I added my own comments here and asked students to reflect on interesting presentations they have seen in the past with an interesting opening.

0:50 – regarding the ‘hook’ element of an effect presentation. Here I asked students to try to think of an effective hook for a topic relevant to their ‘major’ (subject of study).

3:48 – Here I asked students to think of some other ways to interest the audience apart from:

1)      An interesting story

2)      An interesting problem

3)      Some interesting facts or statistics

How did your students engage with the material?

I could only utilise this VideoAnt with one student as the remainder had already asked me to focus on looking at draft assignments thy were working on. I choose a relatively brief video as it was my first attempt to use this tool and I didn’t want to overwhelm the student due to the time constraints of our lesson and their request to look at some time management strategies later in our session as well. The student aid they found the video useful for their upcoming academic presentation and the annotations “made me really think about what makes presentations good”.

In terms of SAMR, do you think the lesson went beyond simple substitution? If so, how?

In terms of the SAMR model I think this lesson represents an example of augmentation as the video informing the viewer was modified to allow students complete further tasks. The reflection questions I added assist in engaging with the content critically. This is an important aspect of skill development for students in an EAP context. VideoAnt allows for flexibility regarding where to include annotations and interaction with content so in terms of the SAMR model I think the lesson went beyond simple substitution.

Jamie

Karolina Jasinska
                Participant
                  @karolinajas

Hi all,

A bit late but here it is. I asked my students to watch one of the short talks on TEDEd. I searched for a talk connected to the topic of money and happiness because that was the topic students were going to discuss later on in class in their seminar discussions. ‘Would winning the lottery make you happier?’ was the one I went for. I thought that students were going to be intrigued by the title and they were. Most of them watched the TedTalk and came prepared with the answers to the questions in the Discuss section. It definitely helped activate the schemata and prepare them for a more in-depth discussion on the topic.

This task wasn’t very difficult to set up as I have used TEDEd with my students before. But I do agree that the first time this tool is used in class, it is worth sending some time showing students all the different sections (Watch, Think, Dig deeper, Discuss). In term of the SAMR model, I think this kind of activity would probably represent Augmentation, being more interesting to complete online.

Lucy Chaplin
                  Participant
                    @lucy-chaplin

I did not use this tool in class since my students have their assessments coming up and we needed to spend time on those. However, I have used VideoAnt before as a student. It was in a German language lesson and I found it really helped me. It was different from just your average listening skills exercise in the book and the topic was quite interesting. It was also a chance for me to review the video as many times as I needed to pick out the extra information that was not necessarily relevant to the questions. I felt the discussion we then had in class was very enriching since we all had a good idea of what would be discussed. However, the fact that some of the students hadn’t done it made it a bit difficult for the teacher to handle. I can see this happening with my students so I would definitely think of how to manage the fact that you hardly ever get 100% students to do the work.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.