Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

In the previous topic, you were asked to try out using Padlet with your class (or with colleagues/kids if you were not teaching) and to make some notes on the following areas:

• How effective was your use of Padlet for the students? Did they engage with it? Find it interesting? How easy were they able to add information to it?
        • How confident did you feel setting up the task with the students? Did you experience any difficulties?
        • Do you think that using Padlet added anything to the students’ learning and engagement with the lesson?

Please can you add your ideas to this topic by replying below and sharing your experiences. Also, it would be useful to come back a few times and respond to any comments that other people have made, either about their own lessons or about yours.

Lucy Chaplin
        Participant
          @lucy-chaplin

· Students engaged with the activity and managed to add information fairly easily. I am not sure how useful it was for them just because they focussed a lot on what their group were writing, and as soon as they looked at the whole screen with everybody else’s comments I think it was a bit overwhelming and “too much information”.

· I found it easy to set up, but I realised I should have asked them to try out writing headings and writing things in bold so it wasn’t just a long string of text.

· I think it did add to their learning just because they have a written record of other group’s opinions they can look back on if they want, so it’s a quick way to compile everybody’s information.

Ying Zhong
          Participant
            @kathie

students who are interested in the topics listed in the padlet were more likely to engage with the activity than those who had little idea about the topic. It was a convenient tool to encourage students’ involvement  and to brainstorm their ideas.

while giving lead-in questions, I could not well predict students’ reactions and answers so finding good discussion topics were challenging.

they can work in groups and compare each groups’ opinions together.

Vasiliki Zinonos
            Participant
              @vasiliki
              1. Padlet use was effective for students. Engagement depends on a lot of things not just the ease or interest of use of software. I’d say it depends on the learner, knowledge of subject-topic, but also the kind of learning habits students learn to develop over the course, as well as the rapport that teacher establishes with them. All in all, students find it easy to add information to Padlet.
              2. I was very confident setting up the task with students. I guess some of the challenges are student-monitoring and coordination, also ensuring everyone is contributing while having online group work. The teacher needs to move from group to group, while in BO rooms, which takes time to ensure everyone in on the right page and engaging with the tasks.
              3. Padlet is a good way to enhance knowledge, promote contribution and engagement, as they can view each other’s responses and exchange ideas.

Catherine Lewis
              Participant
                @catherine21

I used Padlet for collaborative writing – IELTS task 2. Students had already brainstormed an answer to the question in groups of three (three groups in total) and they were required to write a different paragraph(s) on their own before class to form one essay.  During the class they were supposed to work in breakout rooms to share their paragraphs and write a final draft collaboratively with a focus on cohesion and organisation of ideas. Then when finished they could look at other groups’ writing, peer correct and add an overall score by referring to the marking criteria.

1. The use of Padlet was a powerful tool for writing collaboratively while working on Zoom. Writing in breakout rooms meant that the students were not distracted by other groups talking. However, some had done the pre-task activity while others had not done any preparation. But this was fine as they could still share ideas to write a final draft. One student in each group was able to add their group’s essay to the Padlet.

2. I felt confident setting up the task as I had done this activity with Google Docs in the past. There were no firm rules. The aim was for students to reflect on the writing of others and try to improve it. The drawback is the limited amount of Padlets available for free so I have to reuse them . Therefore, I encouraged students to take a photo/screenshot of the Padlet for future reference.

3. I feel that Padlet is a really effective tool for visual learners when compared with GoogleDocs as you can change the background of the Padlet quite easily. It may be beneficial for some dyslexic students as it is easy to change the colour when writing to avoid black print on a white background which can be challenging for some students. Also, when students see writing from a distance on a screen, it can be easier for them to spot errors. Students seemed to engage well with this activity overall even though it took some time to get started. Students were not required to write their names on the Padlet so that they didn’t need to feel embarrassed. Many students make similar mistakes so it doesn’t really matter who has written the text. I got each group of students to use a different coloured background for their writing when I went round the breakout rooms and then they became the blue/pink group, etc. There was quite a discussion about why certain scores had been awarded to the essays. Students could also use the chat box to share their ideas/respond to the ideas of others.

Karolina Jasinska
                Participant
                  @karolinajas

I am not teaching this week but I will reflect on a couple of activities I did with my students in previous weeks.

I had asked my students to do something very similar to what we did on this course, namely posting something about themselves on the padlet. That worked really well and students engaged with each other by asking and answering questions. It was also a good way for me to introduce myself to them. I created my post before I asked them to add theirs and that worked as an example. It was also an introduction to using padlet as they could explore some of the functions available to use. They didn’t find it difficult to navigate it once they had a bit of time to play around with it at home. Since then we’ve been using padlet regularly. I have used padlet many times before and I am very familiar with it but I remember that it was quite easy to set activities up when I first started using it.

One of the other activities was the students having to record themselves and post the recordings on the padlet. They were practising pronunciation, word stress and intonation for their upcoming presentations. The next task was to comment and give each other feedback in groups. I think using padlet worked really well for this task because students were more confident recording their mini presentations in the comfort of their homes. It definitely took a lot of the pressure off.

James Hanlon
                  Participant
                    @jameshanlon

I’m in a similar position to Karolina in that I have only mocks and real exams this week and next, so had to set the padlet task a a hwk. I simply asked a question (what are the challenges and opportunities studying at/in Sheffield), hoping to develop the conversation in the direction of academic culture. So far I have had just a few responses which could (but probably doesn’t) indicate difficulties in accessing or using the platform.

I have also been using the padlets to share any interesting stuff like podcasts and youtube videos, which is easy for me with the science and engineering students as I am quite interested in various S&E topics (e.g. AI, cryptocurrencies, space exploration, etc). It seems a useful tool to share resources and invite discussion of those resources.

Jamie Sullivan
                    Participant
                      @jamie

Hi everyone,

I’m in a little different educational context to some others here as I work 1:1 with students so I utilised Padlet a little differently in my sessions this week so far. I provide academic support sessions and I found Padlet is particularly useful for analysing academic writing. It’s interesting to read how everyone has used different approaches, particularly adding video or voice recording links and colour coding for dyslexic students which is a great insight.

In terms of set-up, it was straightforward, but I think allowing the student the time to try out the functionality was vital, and I allowed for this in my planning. In previous observations of my teaching, it has been noted that I need to allow some further student ‘take-up’ time, so I tried to do this when demonstrating the functionality. This was an initial area of difficulty that I was conscious of before my sessions.

I decided to use Padlet as a platform for my students to reaffirm in a practical context, the in-put regarding academic paragraph structure from previous sessions that focused on their own writing. I utilised examples from the Monash University writing site (https://www.monash.edu/rlo/research-writing-assignments/assignment-types/writing-an-essay/writing-body-paragraphs) and asked students to identify the examples of author voice, evidence, critical analysis and so forth. I then asked students to add their own comments and reflections on the paragraph’s strengths and areas for further development.

I think this did add to the student’s engagement and the functionality of Padlet in terms of ease of accessibility, for example allowing students to share links of similarly useful sites, only added to this. Other examples included one student adding further evidence (a paraphrased quotation) and highlighting how the paragraph could be improved by encouraging synthesis of source materials along with another adding an image of a sample paragraph structure diagram from Google images (funnily enough from the University of Sheffield’s 301 site!). Overall, it was a success but in terms of further use, I think it would be important to allow for more time, as my sessions are usually one hour max and it pushed this a little.

Bashar
                        @bashar

It is clear that Padlet has had a positive impact in terms of levels of interactivity and engagement as well as fostering a sense of a community of practice amongst students. It also seems to be user-friendly for both teachers and students, as teachers rarely report issues with Padlet. Lucy, you make a good point about overwhelming students with too much information. Also, if you have a lot of students writing at the same time, the Padlet layout will change as they write to accommodate all the content which students, especially first-time Padlet users might find confusing. Perhaps, dividing them into groups and assigning a Padlet to a few as Catherine did with the collaborative IELTS writing task might help.

As you all mention, Padlet stands out as an easy-to-use and versatile piece of classroom technology that can be utilized for targeting a variety of skills, fits different stages of the lesson (before, during or after) or even be used as a platform for sharing audio/visual resources in the absence of a VLE.  However, in terms of collaborative writing in an EAP context and in comparison with google docs, I feel that while Padlet offers a lot of possibilities on language items or features it might not offer as much support to students over developing the overall structure and organisation of their texts.

11007807@qq.com
                        Participant
                          @11007807qq-com

I haven’t tried Padet yet, but several similar platforms or tools  such as http://www.duifene.com have been ultilized for nearly ten years in China. More studies and time are needed to make a difference amongthe functions of these tools.

Sun Bo
                          Participant
                            @sunbo1984

Since it’s winter vacation in China right now, I have no class to apply Padlet. I will continue to learn and use it in the next semester.

Nick Murgatroyd
                            Keymaster
                              @nick

Hi @11007807qq-com Thanks for posting. Obviously, it’s impossible for our course to cover every aspect of technology, but looking at the website for diufene, it does seem different to padlet, perhaps closer to a VLE or a virtual classroom. So how do you think you might use padlet with a group of students? Are there any tools it has that you think would be particularly appealing to students?

Zhijin Yin
                              Participant
                                @earin

1. Since padlet is not available in China, I haven’t tried it with my students yet. But I do feel confident about the task setting because we adopt some similar platforms in our class.

2. I think padlet is a very effective tool for collaborative writing, and students can get to know about their problems more directly because they can get feedback more directyly from both their peers and teachers. And i am inspired to see @karolinajas use padlet as a means of self-introduction. I think this is a very interesting way to get more students engaged.

Jinghui Tao
                                Participant
                                  @sharon

1. I haven’t tried Padlet yet in China, but I test the basic functions. I think it’s a shared platform which users can upload different resources and its interface is colorful. For students, I do believe they will find it every interesting.

2. I felt Padlet is very suitable for holding class activities such as brainstorming, group work. Students can learn from each other by viewing responses,which may inspire class engagement to some extent.

Haibing Hou
                                  Participant
                                    @ellen-hou

Padlet is very useful. We can use padlet to let students brainstorm around a problem, theme and project. Students can see other people’s ideas on the padlet wall and add their own ideas. After brainstorming, teachers can further analyze and explain the contents on the wall.Students’ ideas often surprise teachers! Therefore, in the process of brainstorming, teachers should guide students to launch more ideas as much as possible, emphasizing that this is a “brainstorming moment”, and they are not afraid to do what they want. In the choice of topics, teachers should try to choose more open topics, so that students can have space to play.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.