Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios
        • What did you discover when using the tool? (you can report any findings from your searches)
        • How easy did you find the tool?
        • How would you use the tool (course/materials development, hands-on tasks in class, self-access for students, etc.) and why?
        Paul Middlemas
        Participant
          @paul-m

Wordlist / N-Grams

What did you discover when using the tool? (you can report any findings from your searches)

In Concordance I spent some time looking at the ‘text type’ options and found this section quite interesting. I think the Course Title and Text Genre options could be very useful. Wordlist and N-Grams seems clear.

How easy did you find the tool?

The multitude of options available make it quite easy to forget what you were looking for in the first place and to find yourself down a rabbit hole :) So I spent a lot of time clicking around. I’m not sure if it’s a case of easy/hard, but I definitely need to spend some more focussed time exploring the variety of functions available. I think I’m becoming more comfortable with the basics but I’m still a little bit confused by some of the settings (e.g. KWIC Tags).

How would you use the tool (course/materials development, hands-on tasks in class, self-access for students, etc.) and why?

I’m still starting to consider ideas for this. One quite basic idea might be to use it as a noticing or exploring activity in class in order to build students’ range of specific phrases or lexis . An example might be if you were teaching modals for hedging/cautious language. I typed ‘could’ on N-Grams and selected frequency minimum of 4 words and got the list of phrases. Quite simple but I think this could be shown to students how the words are used in context most frequently,  and they could then explore it themselves using other modals (or whatever the TL is.).

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
          Keymaster
            @anastasios

Thank you for your post @paul-m You gave a great example of how teachers and students can use advanced functions of n-grams. It can be the starting point of the search i.e. What are the most frequent lexical bundles that contain the modal verb could?, followed by further qualitative analysis of a few examples e.g. it could be argued, could be used to, could be due to, etc. Alternatively, students can start with examining the concordance of could to hunt for patterns, then use n-grams to see which of the most frequent they were able to identify. By the way, you won’t have to worry about tags from today because this is what we are focussing on in Unit 6 ;) I hope it will all become clearer after this week. But, I agree with you that it will take time, and perhaps a bit of that rabbit hole experimenting, to get used to the various search functions.

Anna Smajdor
            Participant
              @anna-smajdor

Hello,

I would like to discuss the wordlist tool.

For years I used to teach my students from different faculties using a course book which contains a short section about nouns ending in -ification, -efaction and -isation. The section follows a larger section about clean coal technology processes, which was usually interesting only to some students. Exploring the wordlist tool, in particular its advanced settings made me invent a follow-up exercise which would make the word formation section more engaging for all student.

INTRODUCTION TO THE ADVANCED WORDLIST TOOL

introduction

1. Select the BAWE corpus.
              2. Open the Wordlist tool.
              3. Use its advanced option.
              4. Select “noun”.
              5. Select “ending with”.
              6. Type a suffix.
              7. Select physical sciences disciplines as a subcorpus
              8. See the results of search.

TASK part I -TABLE

Using the advanced wordlist tool set as in the introduction and a dictionary find three pairs of words (1, 2, 3), each of which follows the patterns in the table below. Choose words from Sketch Engine results that you find useful and you would like to remember. Start with searching for nouns ending in -ification, -efaction and -isation  with the advanced wordlist tool. Next add them to the table, guess related verbs and look up their spelling in the dictionary.

table

TASK part II – EXAMPLES

Go to concordances of a chosen noun (three dots). Then use “Good dictionary examples” icon to find an example which help you remember the word.

How easy did you find the tool?
              In my opinion Sketch Engine gives teachers opportunities to prepare fresh customized exercises. However, it is not possible to make such tasks without good preparation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.