Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios
        • Share the structure, the CQL sequence and the link to the results (concordance lines) below.
        • Reflect on the process of building your CQL e.g. How easy was it? Did you have to try a few times before you got it right? etc.
        Li Hua
        Participant
          @lihua

Here is my link

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
            Keymaster
              @anastasios

Hi @lihua I’m afraid this didn’t work. The link you shared took me the University of Sheffield Library Database.

Diana Freeman
            Participant
              @deefree

Here is my structure:

it (would/could/might etc – all modal verbs)  have been/done/seen etc – all past participles + adjective

My CQL:

[lemma=”it”][tag=”VM.*”][tag=”VHI”][tag=”VVN.*”][tag=”J.*”]

Tag 1 = “it” as the start of a sentence or clause

Tag 2 = all modal auxiliary verbs

Tag 3 = have (infinitive)

Tag 4 = all past participles

Tag 5 = all adjectives

It worked first time, but I spent a while putting it together before I entered the sequence into CQL

I don’t know why I’m struggling to supply a link (sorry).  There were 5 examples of this combination in the BAWE corpus:

1) It might have seemed logical…for the UK to…

2) …discourage active resistance at a time when it would have involved useless sacrifices

3) It would have seemed wise to attempt to standardise this at an earlier date

4) if compassion were a truly altruistic moral action it may have saved moral value from contempt…

5) …there are also equally valid reasons as to why it could have limited analytical use in this field.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                @anastasios

Thank you @deefree for sharing your CQL. It’s great to see you put together a complex CQL sequence that combines lemmas and tags. I tried it out and it works perfectly – here is the link for you: link.

The only thing I would recommend is changing the tag VVN.* since it only includes lexical verbs and not the verb be. I thought you might get more results since there’s an adjective following the verb. Instead, you can use the word been or become – see 66 instances here.

Finally, I am adding a screenshot to show you how to grab the link from SE – hope this helps:

Li Hua
                Participant
                  @lihua

Here is the tag structure: We must finish the job.

[tag=APPGE|P.*][tag=VM][tag=V.*][tag=AT.*][tag=N.*]

Does this work? I can only go this far( see my screeshot), don’t know how to move on to the result your screenshot shows. Thanks.

https://trainingfoundry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/44340/un6srymv7dintq9xqol2og4ti7jdpwpv.png

Anna Smajdor
                  Participant
                    @anna-smajdor

Hello,

here are my structures, the CQL sequences and the link to the results:

• hear, see, etc + object (pronoun) + -ing form

[lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] [tag=”PPHO.*”] [tag=”VVG.*”]

RESULTS

• hear, see, etc + object (pronoun) + infinitive (without to)

[lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] [tag=”PPHO.*”] [tag=”VVI.*”]

RESULTS

Anna Smajdor
                      Participant
                        @anna-smajdor

I have thought that I could improve the sequences above.

• hear, see, etc + object (pronoun) + -ing form
                          [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ([tag=”PPHO.*”] | [tag=”PPIO.*”] | [tag=”PPX.*”])[tag=”VVG.*”], RESULTS
                        • hear, see, etc + object (pronoun) + infinitive (without to)
                          [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ([tag=”PPHO.*”] | [tag=”PPIO.*”] | [tag=”PPX.*”])[tag=”VVI.*”], RESULTS

I have not included 2nd person objective personal pronoun (you), because the English CLAWS part-of-speech tagset does not include something like PPYO or PPO and I cannot find other solution.

Anna Smajdor
                      Participant
                        @anna-smajdor

Hello again,

the process of building CQL sequences is time-taking. I had to try  a few times before I got the extended versions of the above:

• hear, see, etc + object (pronoun or (article) + (adjective) + noun) + -ing form
                          [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ( ([tag=”AT.*”] {0,1} [tag=”J.*”] {0,3} [tag=”N.*”]) | [tag=”PPHO.*”] ) [tag=”VVG.*”] RESULTS
                        • hear, see, etc + object (pronoun or (article)+ (adjective) + noun) + infinitive (without to)
                          [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ( ([tag=”AT.*”] {0,1} [tag=”J.*”] {0,3} [tag=”N.*”]) | [tag=”PPHO.*”] ) [tag=”VVI.*”] RESULTS
                          Anna Smajdor
                          Participant
                            @anna-smajdor

I have thought that I could improve the sequences above. However, I am still not satisfied even with the improved version as the results also represent other structures.

• hear, see, etc + object (pronoun or (article) + (adjective) + noun) + -ing form
                              [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ( ([tag=”AT.*”] {0,1} [tag=”J.*”] {0,3} [tag=”N.*”]) | [tag=”PPHO.*”] | [tag=”PPIO.*”] | [tag=”PPX.*”]) [tag=”VVG.*”] RESULTS
                            • hear, see, etc + object (pronoun or (article)+ (adjective) + noun) + infinitive (without to)
                              [lemma=”see|hear|notice|watch”] ( ([tag=”AT.*”] {0,1} [tag=”J.*”] {0,3} [tag=”N.*”]) | [tag=”PPHO.*”] | [tag=”PPIO.*”] | [tag=”PPX.*”]) [tag=”VVI.*”] RESULTS
                          Diana Freeman
                          Participant
                            @deefree

Hi @anastasios

Thanks for your feedback. I was on leave and determined not to check emails, so sorry for the late response. Your idea about using adjectives is a good one.

I’ve been writing my lesson ideas today and for the student exploration activity I would like to compare/contrast the verbs amend-adjust-modify. Concordances and frequency, fine. I’d like to compare modifiers with these verbs. I’ve tried using word sketch and word sketch difference, which give me the modifiers that go with these verbs in BAWE, but I cannot persuade the visualisation to work.  It just has a blue circle going round and round…

I’ll try again tomorrow…

Regards

Diana

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.