Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
          @david

Please add your H5P activities as links below.

ann clayton
          Participant
              @ann-c

@david @juliet, is it possible to embed the audio from empower into the activity please?

David Read
                Keymaster
                    @david

@ann-c it depends on the question type, a lot of them give the option to add media (see pic below) and when you click that, you can select and upload audio to display before the question.

If the question type, doesn’t have a media option, you can create a ‘column’ item. This is basically a shell for other H5P activities to be sequenced vertically down the page. So, you select column from the list, then from within that you can add different types of H5p activity, including audio recording. So, for example, if you wanted an audio recording and then a drag the words activity, you would add ‘audio recording’ and ‘drag the words’ once you are in the editing mode for column.

Joanne Tindall
                    Participant
                        @jomtindall
                      Joanne Tindall
                      Participant
                          @jomtindall

I have had some issues using multiple choice questions and column

1 I cannot see a way to add another MCQ. I am stuck with only one question!:)

2. Unfortunately, there is no video tutorial for column and I am struggling to see how I can add different types of questions within this function.

Joanne Tindall
                          Participant
                              @jomtindall

Embedding audio into H5P tip:

I had problems copying the audio link from the Google drive and pasting it into the H5P task. It came back with an error message that it was not supported(?!).

The best way I found was to download the audio from the drive and then upload it to the task directly from my downloads folder.

Hope that can help someone else!

David Read
                              Keymaster
                                  @david

@jomtindall thanks for the advice about the audio; yes, I should have made it clear that you can’t use the Google Drive link but have to download the audio first before uploading it.

Re adding more questions, don’t use the MC Question activity, use the Question Set activity. This allows you to create multiple quiz questions from a variety of types (T/F, MCQ etc). The MC Question basically just allows you to create 1 multiple choice question.

Joanne Tindall
                                  Participant
                                      @jomtindall

https://joannetindall.h5p.com/content/1291777358014901829

A couple of issues with this one. I wanted the students to check the 4 multi choice answers at the end rather than each one as this is supposed to be a prediction exercise. I couldn’t see how to remove the check button at the bottom of each Q.

I put the audio at the end as Q5 for them to listen to after prediction, but the only problem there is that they cannot see the texts  while listening. They would have to use the back button and the audio would be lost. I got round this by telling them to make  notes and then go back. Hmmm, I am not sure how useful this exercise is. It could be frustrating for students,  but I am putting it up here anyway for you guys to see and comment. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

David Read
                                        Keymaster
                                            @david

happy to take a look at this @jomtindall , I’m sure we can find a solution to it, but can’t see it at the moment because it’s not publicly shared. Can you change the share settings? Go into the content, click the three dots in the top right, select publish, then from the box select public and click update. You can then share the link.

Joanne Tindall
                                          Participant
                                              @jomtindall
                                              David Read
                                              Keymaster
                                                  @david

@jomtindall you can remove the check button when editing an activity by clicking the ‘Settings for Check, Show solution and Retry’ dropdown and unchecking the ‘show “Check” buttons. This will then just put a ‘submit’ button at the end of the four questions. See picture below.

David Read
                                                  Keymaster
                                                      @david

@jomtindall I’ve had a go at trying to put together what you were trying to do with the activity. This uses the ‘column’ activity with your quiz, a text block and an audio block within it. I’ve embedded it below but if it’s not showing, you can see at this link. Does this seem closer to what you wanted to do? By the way, the audio recording is just a random recording, not your one ;-)

——————————————-

Joanne Tindall
                                                        Participant
                                                            @jomtindall

@david many thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to do and I think it works quite well. Unfortunately, my skill aren’t up to your level…yet!

Linda Roth
                                                          Participant
                                                              @tinkerbell

Juliet Parfitt
                                                                Keymaster
                                                                    @juliet

This looks good @tinkerbell. It does the job! For the second one, it might seem obvious but some instructions would be useful. I wasn’t sure whether to write in the boxes or under the clues, although discovered both are possible by clicking around.

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                                                                  Participant
                                                                      @helen-sc

I think a lot of these tasks in the book lend themselves towards drag the word or drag and drop. I’ve tried to  do something different and  have tried to create a notetaking task using the Cornell Notes option on H5P with the listening task 3. Not sure if this would really work but I wanted to give it a go. In the ‘cue’ section, I wanted to write the 3 main topics one below the next but I couldn’t. I wondered if there was a different way to include the 3 topics as headings somewhere?

https://helen5hawcotterill.h5p.com/content/1291778154620618867

I downloaded the audio and uploaded it into the ‘exercise content ‘ box. I hope it works!

I t doesn’t look very jazzy either!! :yahoo:

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                                                                      Participant
                                                                          @helen-sc

I then created a drag and drop for the new vocabulary in the first task and then a flashcard task that might be used with the same words as a review task in the next lesson/ a day later.

Drag the word:

https://helen5hawcotterill.h5p.com/content/1291778173826575127

Flashcards:

https://helen5hawcotterill.h5p.com/content/1291778168020613987

One of the issues I’ve noticed with drag the word (and its happened on other tasks in the training Foundry) is that sometimes the 1st and/or last answer won’t drag ingot place. I couldn’t get the answers for 1 or 7 to drag into place but when I did my earlier Drag the Word task it was fine. Any idea why that is?

• #49633
                                                                          Joanne Tindall
                                                                          Participant
                                                                              @jomtindall

@helen-sc I really liked your task for listening. It would be an engaging way for ss to listen and make notes.  Instead of using the Cue box and then another for Notes, would it be simpler and clearer to write explicit questions in the Notes box like.  ‘What are the problems (or negative aspects) of coffee grounds?’ etc, etc. and then they can write their notes underneath….

I liked the flashcards. I think this is a really engaging and powerful way to recycle vocabulary. The behaviour of typing in the words is an effective way to help with spelling and general consolidation.

• #49666
                                                                              Akiko IWATA
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                  @akiko

Multi-item quiz

I enjoyed the contents by others. I tried to transform the question No.2.

How can I just paste the link?

• #49668
                                                                                  Akiko IWATA
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                      @akiko

@helen-sc, it’s very good to see the visual of these new words in flash card. And your idea of the presentation.

• #49677
                                                                                      ann clayton
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                          @ann-c

https://peggyangus.h5p.com/content/1291779666793318097

@David
                                                                                          and @jomtindall thanks for the advice re audios.  @Helen I like the look of your audio and flashcards.

The activity raised a lot of issues mainly to with uniformity of appearance the text is very higgledy-piggledy. Is it possible to get the  text in the various different types of activity to be uniform, it seemed to vary (or am I just putting in in the ‘wrong’ box?). Also can you add images to the text boxes in multiple choice or hints and tips?  Tips to help mine look more interesting/uniform would be appreciated.  @David, is it possible to get the audio on the documentation slide to look like the standard black line (like Helen’s) rather than the icon.  This was part of a column activity

The drag and drops are good for reading for meaning as well as identifying  specific vocab and I like the idea of having to type the letters (reinforcing spelling) for the crossword

• #49695
                                                                                            Joanne Tindall
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                @jomtindall

Hi @ann-c, I tried looking at your pasted link, but it needs to be made public. Go into the content, click the three dots in the top right, select publish, then from the box select public and click update. You can then share the link.

• #49680
                                                                                              Tania Pacheco
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                  @tania-pacheco

Hello, hello,

This is mine, I have such a good time doing this. I loved it! I did many mistakes and I had to change and transform and do it again, etc… :wacko: Overall the whole process was quite entertaining!  https://tocalapetaca.h5p.com/content/1291779825502327087

• #49694
                                                                                                  Joanne Tindall
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                      @jomtindall

@tania-pacheo I loved your last task (3) with the embedded audio that can be paused as appropriate.

• #49708
                                                                                                        David Read
                                                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                                                            @david

yes, @jomtindall, @tania-pacheco used the Book activity in H5p very effectively, this is another alternative to the columns option but presents it in this book/menu format where you click down the left side and use arrows to navigate to the next bit of content.

• #49704
                                                                                                          David Read
                                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                                              @david

Ooh, lovely work @helen-sc on the cornell notes activity, hadn’t thought about combining audio and note-taking in such a way, very smart indeed!! And as @akiko and @jomtindall noted, the flashcard activity was a really nice use of multimedia for revision purposes.

@ann-c
                                                                                                              yes, it is possible, when you create audio, there is an option under where you upload it to select the player mode and choose ‘full’ to get the black bar (see pic below)

Options are a little limited for proper formatting etc in h5p, other than simple things like bold/italics etc. You can add images to questions, just select the media option and choose ‘image’ (or other types of media). Again, see picture below. Also, Remember to follow @jomtindall instructions on making your activity public so we can see it as well.

• #49768
                                                                                                              ann clayton
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                  @ann-c

https://peggyangus.h5p.com/content/1291779666793318097

Hopefully other people should be able to see it now!  Thanks for the advice @david and @jomtindall

• #49794
                                                                                                                  ann clayton
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                      @ann-c

@david, A quick query about the online session today, managed to post my stuff into the document, but I’m not able to interact with it or with Tania’s who also posted. We’re we just supposed to see it? Thanks

• #49871
                                                                                                                      ann clayton
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                          @ann-c

Hello @david, thanks it was this link and this morning it’s working, I can do mine and other peoples activities.

• #50002
                                                                                                                          Amon Ezike
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                              @amon246

Hello all,

My H5P can be viewed at https://h5ptf.h5p.com/content/1291783509032349927

• #50012
                                                                                                                              David Read
                                                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                                                  @david

@amon246 nice tasks, and an interesting use of the presentation mode to present the interactive activities! I forgot that you could use that to insert different types of activities. I suppose the only issue sometimes is that the constrained size of the slides means that content slips off the bottom and students might not see the check or submit button. But still, a really nice way to present it.

• #50088
                                                                                                                                  Richard Davie
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                      @egq22rd

Man, you all went for broke on this one!

@david
                                                                                                                                      / @juliet

I thought I’d try avoiding the Right/Wrong answer format and do something with the initial discussion tasks. So I’d design a series of answers to the questions about people’s coffee habits (and also having to build in ‘other’ or some flexible catch-all answers), which they could then accumulate and post on an associated message board (Padlet?)

Summary looked perfect for this as you can accummulate your answers into a single ‘document’ (the format stinks–vast blocky headings overshadowing the actual answers, unless that default can be changed), but it’s orientned towards a single right answer as far as I can tell.

Any way to do what I’m aiming at throught another tool?

(BTW nerdy question: is this just descendent of the old HotPotatoes tool from the 90s?)

• #50108
                                                                                                                                      Richard Davie
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                          @egq22rd

Reponding to my own posting above, realised I’m confusing two possible tasks

• Summaries
                                                                                                                                          • Notes (the ones you’ve used in these units, but can’t see the corresonding task name in HP5)

Essentially, I wanted an exercise that can drive the creation of an initial document by answering closed questions.

• #50112
                                                                                                                                          Richard Davie
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                              @egq22rd

OK, I’ve used Summaries to structure the Ex. 3C Problem-Solution-Evaluation task. I’ve used the Tips for guidance text, but the formatting does really reduce their visibility and effectiveness; oh hang on, I’ll just point them to it in he instruction text. Just updating it….done.

https://richarddavie.h5p.com/content/1291784048580114667

If I wanted to add a topper to it to get Ss to think about why the correct summaries were the best choice, I’d use the vertical stacking Column tool?

• #50718
                                                                                                                                              Tim Radnor
                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                  @timr

Drag for vocabulary (compound nouns)

https://bluebird.h5p.com/content/1291792911875225137

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.