Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please share the link to your video interaction below (e.g. Articulate Review or H5P link), and also answer the following questions:

What aspect of creating the content was the most challenging?

How comfortable were you doing this activity with less guidance than in previous units?

Also, feel free to comment on the content of others if there’s anything that stands out.

Thomas Leach
        Participant
          @thomasleach

Here’s my video

Video lesson

I was kind in a rush this week, so it’s a bit, well, rushed. I didn’t really do it with a lesson in mind as I’m not teaching right now or editing textbooks due to the summer holidays, so I just made it out of a short clip with a couple of celebrities I like, Andy Samberg and Neil deGrasse Tyson. James Corden is also there but luckily he doesn’t talk much ;-) .

This was a bit harder to do because I really didn’t want to put myself on camera. I couldn’t find a away to download a clip from YouTube so that meant when I tried to use Rise, I couldn’t embed and although I did end up embedding on Storyline, the finish activity feels a bit clunky. I know I kind of rushed it a bit but the activities feel disconnected from the video. I think H5P would have been best for this because I liked the videos where there are stop points and the questions come up in the video, but my free trial ended yesterday.

Doing it with less guidance was fine but I guess because I don’t have anything I’m specifically teaching or editing at the moment, finding something to make a video about was tricky.

PANAGIOTA TZANNI
          Participant
            @ptzanni

Hi everyone!

Please find below an activity I made for my engineering students. This is a video that is going to introduce students the topic of floating solar panels, which is their writing project next semester. The most challenging part was to add the questions in the right places and I was also anxious until I reached the preview stage. I used H5p because this the platform I am going to have access in my university next semester.

Please let me know your thoughts as this is going to be used by 12 teachers and 500 students!

https://panagiotatzanni1.h5p.com/content/1291389139134059578

PANAGIOTA TZANNI
            Participant
              @ptzanni

Small question: In H5p, the summary question at the end is displayed as a button, how can I change it to become more visible. I cannot find the button to change it.

sue robbins
              Participant
                @suerobbins

I’ve created a video and task in H5P. The video is visible in H5P and also in Rise, but when I paste a link here it isn’t visible. Any ideas?

Can anyone see this?

Bernadette Kelly
                Participant
                  @berniek

My H5P free trial has expired  but I made an interactive video of students doing online – to focus attention on functional language in seminars.  Link here if it still works:

Even without the interactivity, it’s fairly easy to make ‘rough’ videos to use for feedback or to emphasise something, I think.  Especially if you are willing to shamelessly exploit your younger family members ;-)

https://digitalmedia.sheffield.ac.uk/media/PEE%20-%20using%20evidence%20-%20with%20captions/1_zq1phs5i

Bernie

Paula Villegas Verdu
                    Participant
                      @paula_villegas

Unfortunately, the H5P link wouldn’t work but the Kaltura one did! I thought it was brilliant to use videos to demonstrate providing evidence for an argument. The transcript next to it is great for low-level students and the topic is bound to keep the listeners interested. I never thought of using video in this way and it feels really effective! :good:

Jemima Perry
                      Participant
                        @jemima

I can’t see the Kaltura one Bernie but i’m intrigued… Is it just me doing something wrong :scratch: Probably!

David Lincoln
                      Participant
                        @david-l

Here is a video about seminars.

https://davidlincoln515.h5p.com/content/1291389203163446797

See what you think.  :bye:

You should be able to see it now. Let me know.:good:

Bernadette Kelly
                          Participant
                            @berniek

Oh David,

Im not allowed in to look at it – sob!

Bernie

Paula Villegas Verdu
                            Participant
                              @paula_villegas

Works for me! I really enjoyed how well integrated the questions are, I thought taking points away for wrong answers was effective to make me pay attention :mail:

Paula Villegas Verdu
                            Participant
                              @paula_villegas

Hi everyone! my little video lives in a funky articulate unit here

Feedback/ oscar nominations are very much welcomed. Just to give you a bit of background, I downloaded a super short TEDtalk, then edited it with Clipchamp then used EdPuzzle to create the questions in the video. Then it all went into an articulate unit. It has a pre-video activity and two-post video activities and it all rocks a nice purple theme.

Bernadette Kelly
                                Participant
                                  @berniek

Loved this Paula – a great way to get them thinking before the lesson! I liked that you got them to think about register / audience too.  One very minor glitch – the Ceti logo needs to be on the screen for longer if you want answers to question one.

Bernie

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                  Participant
                                    @paula_villegas

Thanks, @berniek! yep it is super fast, I will need to keep working on my editing skills!

Jemima Perry
                                    Participant
                                      @jemima

You DEFINITELY get my nomination Paula! :heart:

I really like the different types of questions, including more reflective questions, and the padlet where they have a chance to engage more with the content and with each other. Fab!

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                      Participant
                                        @paula_villegas

:yahoo: thanks!

Jemima Perry
                                      Participant
                                        @jemima

Sorry, I’m very behind with this but can I ask a question? Is there a way of editing (scrubbing?)  Youtube videos? i want to make an interactive video with just the introduction to a video but can’t work out a way of getting just the first few minutes of it onto H5P… any ideas?

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                          Participant
                                            @paula_villegas

I think (and I am not 100% sure)  you may need to download it to do that, that is why I went with TEDTalks cause they are super easy to download and then scrubbing/adding bits was suuuper easy!

Jemima Perry
                                            Participant
                                              @jemima

Thank you Paula. I wanted to use a video I’m trying to use for one of the programmes I work on..found a way in the end but yes, should’ve gone for a TED!

David Read
                                            Keymaster
                                              @david

@jemima you can use a website like YouTube Trimmer. You can drag the handles to the start and end and that generates a link just for the section you want.

Jemima Perry
                                              Participant
                                                @jemima

Here’s a video for the introduction to a lecture.

See below :whistle:

Jemima Perry
                                                Participant
                                                  @jemima

Here’s a video for the introduction to a lecture – using it for my final assignment, so hope that’s allowed!

I found it hard because I wanted to use a youtube video but I couldn’t work out how to download it to clip it. Thank you for the suggestion David. I tried the youtube trimmer but the problem then was that H5P didn’t recognise the clip (was I doing something wrong? Probably!). I also found it really fiddly clipping it at exactly the right place, although this was easier once I’d rewatched the videos and remembered how to zoom in.

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                                    Participant
                                                      @paula_villegas

This is a really interesting topic and the questions work really well :good:

Julie Ibdali
                                                    Participant
                                                      @julie

I can’t seem to download videos from Ted talks or from Youtube to Clipchamp.  Any ideas anyone?  I keep getting a message saying it has failed.  Sorry I’m a bit useless at basic things like this:(

Allison Dresner
                                                      Participant
                                                        @spottypoppy

Hi all

This is my video created using H5P – this one focuses on critical thinking skills as I will have gone through the relevant vocabulary via a wordwall activity before watching the video – the topic for this week is how kindness helps us survive.

Allison

David Read
                                                        Keymaster
                                                          @david

Thanks everyone for your videos, we’ll be making comments on them shortly. But just to respond to some of your questions/issues:

@suerobbins
                                                          , can you share the link again and see if it works for others? It might be some kind of browser setting that is causing the problem.

@jemima
                                                          , you need to grab the first link under the video once you’ve made the adjustments to the beginning and end, it should look a bit like this:

@julie
                                                          for TED Talks you need to click on the Share button and then there should be a download option, see pic below:

YouTube downloads are a bit more of a dark art, for copyright reasons many companies – quite understandably – don’t want you downloading their videos, particularly music companies. However, there are tools that can do it, you might need to download them to your computer. This software is quite popular.

Julie Ibdali
                                                          Participant
                                                            @julie

Thanks David, I couldn’t see the download button before, but I will have another look.

Julie Ibdali
                                                            Participant
                                                              @julie

Under ‘tools’ there is no download button only the embed button.  I have tried to take a screen shot, but I can’t seem to paste it here!

David Read
                                                              Keymaster
                                                                @david

hey @julie not every TED Talk video is downloadable for various copyright reasons. Can you try a few other videos  and see if some of them are downloadable?

David Read
                                                                Keymaster
                                                                  @david

thanks @jemima @suerobbins @thomasleach @david-l @spottypoppy @paula_villegas @berniek @ptzanni for your video activities, fascinating to see what you’ve all created. @paula_villegas yours was particularly impressive incorporating not only video but a range of other tools to engage students pre and post listening. I think Allison’s also shows that questions don’t necessarily always need right or wrong answers, we can use video to provoke/prompt rather than check knowledge.

As mentioned in the live sessions, I think the most important is to make sure that students know what they are listening for, either by providing the questions at the same time as the video or by prompting them to think about the question (‘he’s going to talk about the environment, make notes on the main causes of pollution he identifies’) before it then appears on the screen.

A couple of technical issues to address: @suerobbins, something definitely odd about the link, I can see the pre-video text and the video area, but the actual video doesn’t show. Can you share the embed code so i can see if I can post it here?

@ptzanni
                                                                  you asked about making the question more visible, when you are editing the question, you can select either button or poster, select poster if you want to have the question more visible (see pic below)

David Read
                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                    @david

just posting this @suerobbins to see if it works:

Caitlin Coyle
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @caitlin

Hello all,

Some fantastic videos from you all :-).  I’m late as always but here it is: https://edpuzzle.com/assignments/610e987f64f51e416315075f/watch

It’s 8min 19 (a bit long- sorry!) and I didn’t do too much editing other than put in the questions. I’ll need to try the YouTube trimmer thing in future for long videos.

I also think I have made it so I collect answers by students writing a nickname but without having to sign in for an account. I don’t know where that stands on the GDPR spectrum of allowability?

:bye:

Caitlin

Caitlin Coyle
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @caitlin

@ptzanni

It may have just been me but the first question about Shanghai and the one about ‘fishing’ appeared quite soon. I’m not sure if students are to read first but then I didn’t know how to go back to the questions and I couldn’t drag it to replay/rewatch

• #26586
                                                                          PANAGIOTA TZANNI
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @ptzanni

@Caitlin It is an attempt to make the students guess where is the largest floating solar farm in the world. Something like a warm-up

• #26416
                                                                          Aline André
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @aline
                                                                        Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.