Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please share the link to the content you’ve created below, and also briefly respond to these two questions:

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content?

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use?

Thomas Leach
        Participant
          @thomasleach

Here’s the activities for this week

https://rise.articulate.com/share/gqOsmGb7wGTB4YFv8g9kDorRgTT9vRau

It didn’t take too long. I like that you can duplicate an activity and save yourself starting from scratch. The last activity took the longest as there’s no native way of creating the activity in Rise. Plus you have to learn how to edit the HTML to embed it from H5P.

Which is a follows:

1. Copy and paste the code into a notepad or word doc.

<iframe src=”https://mansu.h5p.com/content/1291364306587476819/embed&#8221; width=”1088″ height=”637″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” allow=”geolocation *; microphone *; camera *; midi *; encrypted-media *”></iframe><script src=”https://mansu.h5p.com/js/h5p-resizer.js&#8221; charset=”UTF-8″></script>

2. Delete everything from <script… like…

<iframe src=”https://mansu.h5p.com/content/1291364306587476819/embed&#8221; width=”1088″ height=”637″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” allow=”geolocation *; microphone *; camera *; midi *; encrypted-media *”></iframe>

3. Then delete everything after ‘allow’ like…

<iframe src=”https://mansu.h5p.com/content/1291364306587476819/embed&#8221; width=”1088″ height=”637″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

4. Now you can embed the text.

That was pretty tricky and I know HTML fairly well.

David Read
            Keymaster
              @david

thanks @thomasleach, though I don’t think you need to edit the embed code yourself, Rise seems to strip that out  the ‘script’ elements automatically for me when I paste that in to the box. You can see in the picture below:

The embed code on the left originally had those other elements in it, but as soon as I clicked enter, it seemed to strip them out automatically. Did it not do that for you?

Thomas Leach
              Participant
                @thomasleach

Hi, no it didn’t that for me. It just kept coming up as a page error for some reason. I ended up having to look up why it was happening and what to do about.

David Read
                Keymaster
                  @david

strange @thomasleach possible a browser issue, have you tried in a different one to see if it’s the same issue?

Bernadette Kelly
                  Participant
                    @berniek

This looks great Thomas.  How did you get the tasks we made on H5P to look the right size on Articulate?  The text in my tasks looked much too small for comfortable reading when I embedded them but I could not find any way to change the size of the embedded text in the frame.

Juliet Parfitt
                    Keymaster
                      @juliet

Your activities look good @thomasleach. Headings are used well to break up the sections. You could also consider using the ‘Continue’ button (in the Divider blocks) so that students can click on it to control when they move on to the next exercise.

David Lincoln
                    Participant
                      @david-l

Here is the activity for this week.https://360.articulate.com/review/content/83b8d191-2c89-4a12-93b2-f12804dd8b0c/review

It seemed to take a long  time for me. Perhaps, I could have cloned it to save a bit of time. I tried to break it down into smaller exercises so I didn’t manage to complete all the exercises. :bye:  However, I got a good grasp of the content through playing around with it and trying different things.

Julie Ibdali
                      Participant
                        @julie

Can AR be used in BB tests does anyone know?

Julie Ibdali
                        Participant
                          @julie

Here is my  task for the week.  It looks boring, but I have done what I can for now.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/erL2Kh3TNmQcnJkwBKfG4KIj-xqW6YO0

Paula Villegas Verdu
                            Participant
                              @paula_villegas

I like how you have put every activity in a new page so you get the ‘green tick’

Bernadette Kelly
                              Participant
                                @berniek

I like that too – did you set each one as a new ‘lesson’ in order to make them appear like that?

Juliet Parfitt
                                Keymaster
                                  @juliet

I think this is well laid out @julie. The bold text highlights the important parts of the grammar, and the spacing of the information means it’s presented in manageable chunks.  Just check your alignment in the table.

Allison Dresner
                                Participant
                                  @spottypoppy

Hi

I am currently using Rise to create some content about sentence construction here is an extract of the lesson – sorry but I am going to use this and don’t have time to create a new one on superlatives etc – this has been my learning curve.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/YYzrDQzKVUS65ETZyxyr_VwSq2a__Xy4

Really liked this tool found it relatively easy to navigate but I think that is because there are similarities with Google sites – blocks, embedding etc. :yahoo:

Allison

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                    Participant
                                      @paula_villegas

I love the design of your tasks and how things appear slowly :good:   I also thought the final avatar was very encouraging! It does feel a lot more personal having the character ‘walking you’ through the activities

Juliet Parfitt
                                      Keymaster
                                        @juliet

@spottypoppy, I like your avatar, and the staging of your activities after presenting the grammar. I know you mentioned that this is just an extract from a lesson, but consider providing some context for your first grammar explanation. An example sentence showing the SVO structure would be helpful. Check that all your sentences in your 1st task contain an SVO structure, and watch out for sentences with 2 possible answers in the 2nd task.

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                      Participant
                                        @paula_villegas

Hi everyone! My homework is here

I have gone for a purple theme and added a few bits to make the lesson flow (and because I wanted to try more stuff ;-) ).

and now the questions

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content? I would say a bit over an hour but I faff quite a bit and try stuff just for fun, so I would probably have been able to complete this in 30 min but without having a go at tools/ exploring a bit more.

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use? I loved everything about it I think it is the most intuitive one we have seen so far.

Bernadette Kelly
                                          Participant
                                            @berniek

I thought this looked great (so shamelessly copied some of your ideas) and also I like how you ask questions at the end to get them to think about their own cities.

Juliet Parfitt
                                            Keymaster
                                              @juliet

I really like your introduction @paula_villegas, adding personalisation by telling students they will be able to compare their hometowns with yours! You’ve effectively organised the information into manageable chunks, especially in the graph with the pop out descriptions. I’m not sure though that the image adds much beyond decoration here. Your ‘Just for fun’ activity is great, but might go better before the H5P Activity 1, which is possibly more challenging.

Bernadette Kelly
                                            Participant
                                              @berniek

Oooof! Feeling old right now.

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content? More than 3 hours to figure everything out and still not particularly happy with it!

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use?

a) Most of it was okay – not too hard to figure out. It just took a while because it was the first time using this particular software.

b)  Probably most of my problems arose from paying insufficient attention when watching the video guides.  I couldn’t figure out how to insert the table at all and eventually just used an image – but then later I saw how to do it in the video when I was looking for something else.

I really liked it though – just wish I had more than 60 days to play with it.

Bernadette Kelly
                                              Participant
                                                @berniek

Forgot to post the link to my attempt! It’s here 

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                                  Participant
                                                    @paula_villegas

This is so cool! I love the pictures with the examples it so clear. I also really like the avatar at the end I think as a learner I really like that ‘yay I have done well and here is a memoji telling me so’.  It just makes it much more personal.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                    Keymaster
                                                      @juliet

@berniek I agree with @paula_villegas about the avatar. It’s very encouraging to see it again at the end, along with an encouraging ‘well done’! The lesson is also nicely divided into stages. My only small suggestion would be to also add bold to the adjectives (bigger/smallest) in your example sentences to make the structure stand out.

Bernadette Kelly
                                                      Participant
                                                        @berniek

I agree – I intended to highlight them but forgot!!!

Caitlin Coyle
                                                      Participant
                                                        @caitlin

https://rise.articulate.com/share/yoZrYRBibtZ4ZtArNgUol0HXUbFebXqn

Not too long as I was doing most of it after videos in the previous exercise, and I know that it be vastly improved if I spent more time on it. I think I did it in less 30mins, but like I said it was probably a lot longer if you consider doing most of the work after each video in the previous section.

I think it is quite intuitive but I’ll need to explore beyond what the videos go over later.

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                                          Participant
                                                            @paula_villegas

I love the picture at the beginning! and adding the youtube video looks so neat and effective for the students :good:

Juliet Parfitt
                                                            Keymaster
                                                              @juliet

Your activities show variety and are nicely staged @caitlin. Remember you can use dividers to break up the content. It would be useful to highlight in bold any words that you want to stress in sentences such as: ‘We use the before the superlative adjective.’ It would also look better if the H5P content was embedded rather than a link.

sue robbins
                                                            Participant
                                                              @suerobbins

Hello All – I’m a bit late here as I’ve been using Rise to put together something unrelated. But here’s my Comparative/Superlative unit

It took about an hour to create, but I spent a lot of time experimenting with Rise before creating it. I found it easy to learn/use with not too much trial and error involved (thanks for useful video tutorials).

:bye:

Paula Villegas Verdu
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @paula_villegas

I love how neat this looks! I think in the second lesson having to tick the sentences makes a massive difference. It is a small thing but I felt that ‘having to do a task’ made me read the statements more carefully.

Jemima Perry
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @jemima

I like the way you’ve divided this into separate lessons – it means you can use very clear headings. I think it flows very well, and I love the image you have used at the start!

Juliet Parfitt
                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                      @juliet

This is very nicely staged content @suerobbins. I like the intro with your photo and clear aims for the lesson. Headings are used well to guide students through. I’d suggest giving an instruction for students to tick the check boxes if that’s what you’d like them to do as they read. I’ve seen your post about alignment issues! Did you try making the adjectives column narrower and widening the other 2 columns? It seems that the width can look fine in edit mode, but Preview mode shows that it needs to be even wider.

sue robbins
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @suerobbins

Oh that would have taken me forever to work out. Thank you @juliet! Only issue now is that the columns are a different width and a bit of me minds about that…   :wacko:

Juliet Parfitt
                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                          @juliet

Yes @suerobbins that would bother me too. I think it’s the best we can do with this table!

Jemima Perry
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @jemima

Here’s my lesson – sorry it’s late!

It took a while, a couple of hours, but i was experimenting with different possibilities…

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find

a) easy to use b) confusing/less easy to use

I found it quite user friendly overall. I love the fact that you can edit in situ and lots of the features are similar to those in google /microsoft e.g. the tables,  and I like the image bank

b) confusing/less easy to use

I found navigating between the different levels a bit confusing at first. On David’s video it looks really clear, but it took me a while to get my head round.

One question – is there an easy way of selecting the same background colour for all the blocks?

• #23866
                                                                            Juliet Parfitt
                                                                            Keymaster
                                                                              @juliet

@jemima when you have changed the background colour of a block, you can go to ‘edit: settings’ and copy the hex code. Then, on the next block that you use, go back to ‘edit: settings’ and paste in the code to make it the same colour.

You can also see in ‘Block templates’ that you could save a particular block if you want to use it regularly. I might do this for headings where I want to keep its format and colour.

• #23872
                                                                              Jemima Perry
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @jemima

Ah! Brilliant! Thank you Juliet!

• #23869
                                                                                Bernadette Kelly
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @berniek

This is beautiful!

• #23875
                                                                                  Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                    @juliet

This is very nicely presented material @jemima. Your background colour seems to work well with your images. In terms of accessibility, Sheffield University advice is to use bold rather than italics to emphasise content. The table seems to cause a few alignment issues.

• #23976
                                                                                  Rachel Beresford
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @rachel-beresford

Here is the link to my attempt:

https://rise.articulate.com/share/KHjww-hkL5CdGD2c1e4ZeS6fFJflXIzi

It took quite a while, maybe an hour and a half. There a quite a few things I would like to improve if I had more time.

Overall it is quite intuitive, but it took a bit of time to get familiar with the different options. It was easy to embed content from H5P, but I need to spend more time working out how to format some parts, such as reducing the blank space on the H5P exercises.

• #24189
                                                                                      Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                        @juliet

@rachel-beresford this content has a clear aim, and nice closing sentence. It is well divided into manageable sections. I’d suggest you use bold to highlight target language in examples, especially in sentences like: ‘We usually make comparisons with than‘. Also, to remove the space below the H5P tasks, you can reduce the height in the embed code.

• #24199
                                                                                      Aline André
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @aline

Here is my link https://rise.articulate.com/share/A3HYYH2bylrvvlntA4QfgCCQhCLzg5np

Answering David’s questions

At first, It was tricky to figure out how to use the tools on the left menu. However, once I got the hang of it, it was pretty straightforward. I loved learning about this tool.

• #24252
                                                                                          Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                            @juliet

This looks good @aline. The information is clearly divided with headings. As with other posts, I’d suggest using bold to highlight key language, and think about how you could add the Divider block to give students control over when they move to the next section.

• #24210
                                                                                          PANAGIOTA TZANNI
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @ptzanni

This is my first attempt; I will definitely continue working on it.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/kviq2y_0mRLYvJ-FnMonQ7b5KEWzI6Kh

• #24256
                                                                                              Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                @juliet

I like how you have used Rise to create your practice activities here @ptzanni. I can’t get the audio to work though on exercise 3. Note that you can hyperlink to other websites by highlighting a word and selecting the link icon.

Alternatively, in the Interactive block, you can select button or button stack and add links to the buttons.

• #24282
                                                                                              Toshihiko Kitagawa
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @ktoshi

This is mine – I enjoyed working on these.  I accidentally deleted the information table of comparative and superlative for twice after the completion… :cry:

https://rise.articulate.com/share/QP4oOcc6hZ9J_AQtXNaMFKDRoXTOlYYS

• #24283
                                                                                                  Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                                    @juliet

You have a great variety of progressively challenging practice activities here @ktoshi, which are very organised and neatly presented. There is just some feedback missing in one of the tasks.

• #24636
                                                                                                  Natallia Novikava
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @natallia

I’m very very late to this but here is my link: https://rise.articulate.com/share/41U1AetJyFB3TPP3KE5nPxWmE8__BQ0S

• #25503
                                                                                                      Juliet Parfitt
                                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                                        @juliet

This activities look great @natallia. It’s very clearly presented and staged, with key language highlighted. I like your choice of background colour.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.