Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
        @juliet

Please share the link to the content you’ve created below, and also briefly respond to these two questions:

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content?

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use?

Zsofia Tarjani
        Participant
          @zsofit

Hi, this is my content: https://rise.articulate.com/share/0WYow9Ml72nQXnA7K_aej-ZISNG_SiIv

1, It took me quite a while. I’ve used rise before but I haven’t created anything from scratch.

2, I think Articulate is visually really pleasing. Having said that, excuse the outrageous orange in my guide. :) I also like the different interactive elements and the range of things you can embed.

I think it’s a bit confusing to edit texts (sometimes you don’t have to go to the edit button but sometimes you do), to edit tables (the pop up window sometimes disappears for me; and to move sections around after duplicating them ( I haven’t found the way to drag sections quickly instead of moving them one by one).

Brenda Allen
            Participant
              @azurial

Hi @Zsofia, I see you have used a lot of nice features here, not least T Rex. I pretty well agree with you on the both the good and the more trying aspects. I’m not sure if you know but David’s last (fourth) video in the unit materials explains about how to customize your course and to change from that very attractive shade of orange, should you so wish. I actually enjoyed the customization element best!

Juliet Parfitt
              Keymaster
                @juliet

@zsofit, your activities are nicely staged and under learner control, and the information is clearly presented using the accordion tool. I like that you have embedded H5P and the extension activities – much better than just having a link. I also like your dark text against the light background. It’s good that you have highlighted key words in your explanations. For accessibility, it is better to use bold for this rather than italics.

e.g. We usually make comparisons with than.

I’m saying nothing about the orange!

Sue Everest
                Participant
                  @sue

@szofit, I liked your lesson. Visually it looked very professional and I particularly liked the touch of humour with the t-rex!

Brenda Allen
                Participant
                  @azurial

Hi, here is my first stab too:

https://rise.articulate.com/share/MqUYx8aGW02scCU1ejJsSLsPGovVhUHz

It is highly imperfect, but it’s a start!

1. As Zsofia expressed it, it also took me “quite a while”! I seem to have spent the whole day on it and there is obviously masses more to do to make it anywhere near serviceable.

2. I do love the potential, the visual appeal, the way courses can be customised and sequenced, and that all kinds of media can be embedded. I’d prefer not to be too critical at this stage, as I find it takes me a while to get used to each new piece of tech – and I feel very much the novice. If pressed, I would have to say, though, that I loathed the ghost text and the way you had to fiddle about to come up with a ‘clean sheet’. Other immediate points: I did not find the editing straightforward or intuitive to me – hence am drawing a line today and will return to work on the multiple imperfections once refreshed. I am still mastering how to move effectively between functions (Edit, Preview, Share etc.) I lost quite a bit along the way, somehow, which is why I’m posting it now while at least – hopefully – it is still all there in one piece!

Juliet Parfitt
                    Keymaster
                      @juliet

This is well presented @azurail, with nice use of images at the start to set the context. Instructions are really clear and concise, and H5P plus extra tasks are neatly embedded. Formatting tables can be tricky in Rise. To delete a column and keep it centred, just highlight it and an edit window automatically opens. Once deleted, the remaining columns realign.

I’d also suggest a few more Continue buttons to break up that last activities a little.

Brenda Allen
                      Participant
                        @azurial

Thank you for your generous comments, @Juliet!  Until I saw some of the others’ work, I had not thought to re-format the table – so no doubt will practise this in the upcoming week, along with all the other features.

Sue Everest
                        Participant
                          @sue

@azurial, I liked your lesson. All the hard work must be paying off. I like the use of pictures, which I hadn’t thought of. Also, you were able to change font colour. I didn’t see how to do that!

Brenda Allen
                          Participant
                            @azurial

Thanks for the encouragement, @sue.  Still scaling the learning curve and hope to do better next time…

Robert Anderson
                          Participant
                            @robert

Here’s my first stab at using Articulate rise:

https://rise.articulate.com/share/BYoYOOHl9h4pePidYFmZPQXJK8eP85nq

1. How long did it take? Much longer than I’m willing to confess to. I can imagine that  practice will significantly reduce this.

2. Which aspects did I find easy/less easy? I generally found it quite easy to pick up through trial and error. The great thing is that you can just play around with the different options and settings without doing any lasting damage. You just have to be careful not to become too obsessive about format or it will consume your whole day. Should I go for 10 padding or 20? Oooh decisions, decisions!

One thing I don’t like is the colour palette. It would be helpful to have a choice of standard/default colours, in addition to the infinite array of shades and mixes available, which produces a unique colour code each time. That’s unless I just failed to find the simpler option of course.

Sue Everest
                              Participant
                                @sue

Hi @robert, I liked your lesson. Everyone’s work looks so professional. Inspiring! I liked the way you and others gave an indication of how long the lesson would take, good idea. I agree what you have to say about he colour palette. I was looking for more subtle shades too. I bet there’s a way round it.

Juliet Parfitt
                              Keymaster
                                @juliet

I really like your use of multimedia throughout the lesson @robert, and the way you start with the lesson aims and finish with an encouraging Well done from the teacher. Information is clearly organised and segmented. Perhaps use a colour contrast checker to make the sure text works against the orange background in the headings. It might be okay. https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

Also, for accessibility, avoid using italics to highlight key words. It can make the text appear to run together for some readers.

There is an infinite array of colours, but you can go into Edit and Settings and copy the code, then paste it into the next activity.

You can also set up templates for things you use regularly, which saves time.

Paul Middlemas
                                Participant
                                  @paul-m

Hi, here’s mine;

https://rise.articulate.com/share/0i_1cAcaH-_gKOd8CpTcKwdo_nBE1K4s

1. Quite a while. It took me some time to get to grips with the tool, as there is so much there to explore. I would have liked to have spent longer on the activity overall and hope to go back and spend some more time on it…

2. I initially forgot about the embedding option and focused on the articulate activities. I really enjoyed using this tool.

My audio activity is wrong/incomplete. I was a bit stumped with the embedding (is it possible from the BC website?) and would like to try and figure that out later when I have some more time, so have just posted what I’ve done so far.

Juliet Parfitt
                                    Keymaster
                                      @juliet

You have a great variety of activities and multimedia here @paul-m, and information is broken into manageable sections. The very clear instructions and signalling make it straightforward to navigate. Key language is mainly highlighted in bold, not just colour, which is better for accessibility.

The last letters of some words in your 2nd tabs table have fallen onto the next line. The words  can look fine in edit mode, but you’ll also need to check them in Preview mode. It’s a little quirk of Rise!

To embed a British Council link, go in Rise to Multimedia, Embed (ELk Mountains!) and paste in the website’s URL. It seems to work.

Paul Middlemas
                                      Participant
                                        @paul-m

Hi Juliet

Thank you for your feedback. I think I’ve figured out embedding the BC page, just need to add the activity.

Regarding the formatting on the accordion, I played around with it for ages. It was showing as fine and perfectly formatted on Preview, but as soon as it was published it seemed to jump out of line. I’ll have another go at tidying it up later if I can…

Naomi Rabin
                                      Participant
                                        @naomirabin

Here is my link:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/cf3263bc-2085-46f5-92f4-a661212fca54/review

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content? – also quite a while, I’m sharing the link with things that are still a bit annoying and imperfect just to stop myself spending more time on it!

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use? I was just getting the hang of it, I think and as I got into it, it seemed more self-explanatory. I’d like more practice in dividing into separate lessons-  this is all one long lesson which I am not sure about! Also, a couple of fiddley bits like making sure tables are well formatted and the headers are uniform (mine are not!)

Andrew Burke
                                        Participant
                                          @andrew

https://rise.articulate.com/share/iaOYxXFRuDkO9jlcFbEUpi8w4DuRdGdj

(1) How much time roughly did it take you to create the content?

Not too long as I’ve used it before.

(2) What aspects of Articulate Rise did you find a) easy to use and b) confusing/less easy to use?

When I copied and pasted some of the text into a table on Rise, it was hard to manipulate the text as I wanted.

Andrew

Juliet Parfitt
                                            Keymaster
                                              @juliet

Tables do seem to be awkward in Rise @andrew. It looks good though. I like the intro with your picture and your use of flip cards with explanation on one side and example on the other.

In your final H5P task, students are asked to listen and write what they hear, but you also have the sentences written above, so there is no need to listen.

Also, rather than displaying an entire link (if you prefer links over embedding), it will look neater if you go to Interactive and select Button or Button Stack.

It allows you to add a link to the button, which I think looks better on the page.

Sue Everest
                                              Participant
                                                @sue

Nice use of robots @andrew! It looks to me like you know what you’re doing!

Sue Everest
                                              Participant
                                                @sue

Hi all,

I’m playing catch up here. This task took me about 2 hours, quite fiddly in parts. I found the table tricky and couldn’t see how to edit what I’d just done without losing the whole table. No undo button? hence warts and all here. I quite enjoyed inserting the H5P activities. that seemed quite easy, dare I say?

https://rise.articulate.com/share/VWifD4MOg7l80GzeMKlKmkTTBMuKplV7

I’ll now go back and look at what everyone else has said and done. I felt I needed to make my own mistakes to learn by them.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @juliet

This looks good @sue, and the table is fine – nicely laid out. I’m not aware of an undo button apart from one that appears for a few seconds when you delete something. I like the amount of information you have in each section. For accessibility, perhaps try to avoid too much use of italics, and check the black text against the orange background to make sure it contrasts enough: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

To add the progress menu, as @paul-m says, it appears automatically when you create a new lesson.

Sue Everest
                                                  Participant
                                                    @sue

Hi @paul-m

I’m learning a lot from everyone here. Did you use the accordion feature? Your activities seem to move seamlessly from one to the other. I also liked the variety. How did you create the progress list on the left hand side? All looks very professional.

Paul Middlemas
                                                      Participant
                                                        @paul-m

Hi @sue

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I did use the accordion. I originally used the table function for the grammar rule, but I thought that the block of information was too large so had a go at the accordion. I think that makes the information a bit more manageable and accessible.

I don’t think I did anything specifically to set up a progress list? Is it when you create lessons that it automatically appears on the left side? I’m not sure exactly but can’t recall doing anything!

Georgina Lloyd
                                                      Participant
                                                        @georgie_l

Here is my attempt:

https://rise.articulate.com/share/VF0JJOs9vqTC3np5dRfoNpQWW1QI_YY4

1) I think maybe an hour and a half, like @naomi I could continue fiddling, there are things I’m not happy with..

2) I loved using Articulate Rise, I thought it was very easy to use. However, I watched all of the videos, so that certainly helped me get started.

Some of the colour coding I found difficult, like if I had put a background colour for one heading, it didn’t save as an option for the other heading. In the end I copied the colour number into each so they should match.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                          Keymaster
                                                            @juliet

I really like your personalised intro @georgie_l and the questions you ask students in order to engage with the topic. I also like your softer background colour for headings, which seems to tie in with an overall colour theme. You’ve also made a distinction between explanations and examples, although try to avoid italics (for accessibility).

You were right to copy the colour code and paste it into the next heading. You can also save headings as templates by clicking on Block Templates. Have a look at the screenshot in my reply to Robert above.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.