Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
        @juliet

Please share the link to your presentation below and also add short answers to the following two questions:

1. How does creating quizzes in Storyline compare with, say, H5P or Articulate Rise?
        2. Is there anything in the quiz tools that you still find confusing (e.g. Why can’t I do….? Is it possible to…..?)

Do try to take a look at a couple of other presentations created by participants but don’t feel under obligation to comment on them as we will do that.

Brenda Allen
        Participant
          @azurial

Coffee Making Passive another go

I had to re-do this from scratch as the original was lost when Storyline crashed.  Including the new material and despite the ‘operational difficulties’ I have been experiencing, it took me under two hours this time round. :yahoo:

Brenda Allen
          Participant
            @azurial

Thank you for your very helpful comments, @Juliet.  As far as your questions go:

1  How does creating quizzes in Storyline compare with, say, H5P or Articulate Rise?

With some exceptions, I did not find creating quizzes on Storyline as straightforward as on the other platforms.  I ended up abandoning initial attempts at quite a few formats as it all just became too much of a headache – but at least I got a sense of what was possible.  I found the key was to aim for simplicity and to try to follow the videos through as much as possible, rather than heading off piste. That said, it did feel a bit limited having to fit my own intentions around their formats, rather than vice versa.  This was not the end of the world for a very first attempt, though.  I also imagine there would be many more possibilities if fully subscribed.

2  Is there anything in the quiz tools that you still find confusing (e.g. Why can’t I do….? Is it possible to…..?)

For example, I had been hoping it would be possible to drag and drop a selection of items from a pool into two separate columns/categories/fields. Apart from that, yes, there is still a whole lot more to be getting my head around :unsure: .  However, this is as expected at this stage and with some of the complexities entailed :wacko: B-) .

Georgina Lloyd
            Participant
              @georgie_l

Here’s my updated presentation with quizzes :wacko:

Georgie Passive Presentation

How does creating quizzes in Storyline compare with, say, H5P or Articulate Rise?
              I didn’t enjoy storyline so much this week. I found the quizzes more restrictive than H5P and more fiddly that Rise. I wanted to do a gap fill (filling in verb ‘to be’) with a paragraph of text, but I couldn’t. I found it hard to find the right quizzes for my content, and found it restrictive.

Is there anything in the quiz tools that you still find confusing (e.g. Why can’t I do….? Is it possible to…..?)
              Is there any way of doing a gap fill?

And none quiz tool questions…

I was thinking about templates – this is something I’ve never really mastered in Powerpoint either, but if I want all my slides to have same background, do I need to set that from the beginning, or can I apply to all at the end? Not sure how to do this.

Also, is the only way to control the release of info with layers? I find layers time-consuming but they seem to be the key to everything!

Juliet Parfitt
              Keymaster
                @juliet

@georgie you could do a gap fill using a fill in the blank graded question.

For templates, you have 2 options. If you made something that you’d like to save and use in a later project, you can go to file, save as, Storyline template.

Then, when you want to find it in a later project, go to the home tab, then New Slide, My templates.

If you are making a new project and want to set it up so some elements are on every slide, go to the View tab and open Slide Master.

You can add things to the slides here that will then appear on all your slides. Here is a short YouTube video to explain it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGozrXl7r9c

You can also control the release of info with states instead of triggers. First set the state to hidden.

Then set up a trigger, e.g.

It’s a bit more fiddly!

Georgina Lloyd
                  Participant
                    @georgie_l

Hi @juliet, thank you so much for these instructions. I will definitely try them out when doing my end of course project. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Georgie

Robert Anderson
                  Participant
                    @robert

Here’s my updated version. I transformed an existing activity into a more interactive drag & drop task, and inserted a short multiple choice quiz as an additional knowledge check.

It took me ages to re-engineer existing slides. I think having a more powerful computer with a larger screen would have made the process a lot quicker. Also, I waste quite a lot of time flipping between edit and preview modes, but you simply need to know if & how it works in order to make adjustments.

1  How does creating quizzes in Storyline compare with, say, H5P or Articulate Rise?

Storyline seems a bit more time-consuming for creating quizzes but I guess the advantage is that it looks more integrated in terms of style and format.

2. Is there anything in the quiz tools that you still find confusing (e.g. Why can’t I do….? Is it possible to…..?)

No questions for now. Off to sit in a dark room to recover.

Robert

Sue Everest
                    Participant
                      @sue

Hi all, here’s my week 7 work finally. Trying not to lose my original this time around, so made a copy before hitting publish. Sue’s week 7 Project – Copy | Review 360 (articulate.com)

Found the quizzes a bit fiddly. I’d like some questions to feature on the same slide. Wish I had more time to really experiment. Result is quite basic. :unsure: :unsure:

Paul Middlemas
                      Participant
                        @paul-m

I’ve added a few quiz questions (MC, rearranging a sentence, writing a sentence) to my  passive slides.

I changed the background for these ones but didn’t go back and edit the previous slides, so it’s inconsistent as a presentation…

It might be because I didn’t create this in one sitting and was rushing that I didn’t find the flow, and I think I need to practise a little bit more with the buttons and so on. I also don’t/didn’t have a clear idea of what activities I was making, so with a bit (or lot) more thought here, e.g. a clear storyboard, then it will be beneficial in terms of coherence and consistency. It was a bit of a rush this week.

I found Rise more straightforward and user friendly, but recognise this is a different tool completely and the buttons etc. add an extra level of complexity (in my opinion).

Not really confusing, I just need to spend more time practising, and as noted above, having a clearer vision of what I am planning to do hopefully will result in producing something better…

Zsofia Tarjani
                        Participant
                          @zsofit

Here is a newer version of my passive slides.  Ignore the content please, @juliet :)

I was playing around with the reference text box, states, adding quizzes, adding feedback, tidying up my previous version and adding markers… still messy but I’ve learnt some new features.

A quick question: My scenes are in order when I’m editing them but when I publish them for review, they are all in a random order in the side bar..why is that and does it matter?

Thanks for all the useful feedback!

Juliet Parfitt
                            Keymaster
                              @juliet

I’ve added some comments in Review @zsofit.  The reference box works – there are just a few glitchy things to work out, but great to see you experimenting with the more advanced techniques.  Do you mean that the slides are in random order (that you see in the side bar) or the actual scenes (that you see in Story view)? If you want to send me the file, I could have a look.

Zsofia Tarjani
                            Participant
                              @zsofit

Thanks a lot for your useful comments, @juliet.  I’ll send you the file as I can’t figure out how to fix the glitches that are still there :)

Viewing 9 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.