Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add the links to your presentation and the two activities you created for it below as well as a short rationale explaining why you chose those activities and where they would come in the presentation, e.g:

“The unjumble activity would come right at the beginning to check their existing knowledge of the passive voice for unknown actor. The quiz with the multiple choice questions would come right at the end after the grammar explanation to check their understanding of the form, meaning and structure”

Please come back to the forum during the week and try to leave responses to at least two other teacher’s activities, commenting on how effective you think the activities are in helping the students process the information in the presentation.

PANAGIOTA TZANNI
        Participant
          @ptzanni

Hi everyone!

Please find attached the link of my presentation and the two activities I designed.

The first activity would come at the beginning testing their basic knowledge of the passive voice and the multiple choice would test at the end if they grasped the concept of authorship in the passive voice.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15HwrZAtrVu6U3-C_JMp5Iz4Qq6z0GUvoH_DBSfK2_ik/edit#slide=id.ge03f440e44_0_7

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/33ca9403f5284ce487584073dd1b87ac?themeId=45&templateId=72&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/854f784573f24e58a410efd2a8f9109a?themeId=21&templateId=69&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Juliet Parfitt
            Keymaster
              @juliet

Your 1st activity is great @ptzanni. Make sure that the 2nd activity has clear instructions (see my post below on how to do it).

sue robbins
            Participant
              @suerobbins

Here’s a link to my presentation plus Wordwall activities:

The first activity gives answers to the questions on the previous slide and helps students confirm what they know about this particular use of the passive, and the second activity checks understanding.

Sue :-)

Juliet Parfitt
                Keymaster
                  @juliet

I like how your instructions on the slide also guide students in what to do after they have completed the activity @suerobbins. You have also reminded students of the example sentences and the question before revealing the answers (contiguity). I would suggest trying to separate the example from the question slightly in the flip card activity, but Wordwall doesn’t seem to make this possible.

Jemima Perry
                Participant
                  @jemima

Here’s a link to my presentation plus Wordwall activities. I added the cloze activity in the middle on the assumption that they are familiar with the grammar but might need a reminder before going on to the unjumble activity where they turn the active sentence into a passive.

Juliet Parfitt
                    Keymaster
                      @juliet

I really like your first activity @jemima. It worked well as a reminder. On the second one, perhaps show the active sentence on the same slide as the task (contiguity). I had to jump back to find it to help with ordering the noun phrases.

Jemima Perry
                      Participant
                        @jemima

Thank you Juliet. Yes, good point!

Paula Villegas Verdu
                      Participant
                        @paula_villegas

My presentation lives here

As you can see I added a review on using the passive in scientific AW at the beginning

<span>Passive (I)</span>

After students had had a chance to explore the problem (repetition of the subject) and the solution (use the passive) they get to rewrite the methodology using the fill in the gaps. To make things harder, I added ‘wrong’ options as you can see below

<span>Methodology (1)</span>

The presentation concludes with a little summary/ review, ta-da! :yahoo:

Paula Villegas Verdu
                        Participant
                          @paula_villegas

@jemima loved the unjumble the words! I found it quite hard actually! :mail:

David Lincoln
                          Participant
                            @david-l

I would add something like this to slide 3 to check their knowledge.
                            <iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/566ef3e6d995401599f0a8459a1f9f11?themeId=1&templateId=36&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>
                            I would also add this to slide 4 on the presentation.
                            <iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/f87d492a9bb2489fb8fe9853b497c90e?themeId=1&templateId=36&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””>
                            Then in slide 7 this missing word check.
                            <iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/5a2506e45d3c4f79bc30ea20d242e14c?themeId=1&templateId=36&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
                            I would put this true / false quiz on the first slide to check the student’s knowledge:
                            <iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/a701310c47aa4cdfb3e9dad115a26a77?themeId=1&templateId=35&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Juliet Parfitt
                              Keymaster
                                @juliet

These tasks carefully check understanding of the passive @david-l.  I like how you ask questions about the active first to make sure that is clear. Do slides 3 and 7 have the same link? I had a little difficulty reading the information in the T/F question in time to answer the questions. I wonder if a task that gives students time to think carefully about their answers might be more suitable here. The questions themselves are really useful.

Allison Dresner
                              Participant
                                @spottypoppy

Hi

Here is my presentation with wordwall activities within it.

I have added both exercises at the end of the presentation to show how we change the form of the verb ‘to be’ and not the past participle in different passive tense forms. The rationale behind this is that I am thinking of my learners previous knowledge and the first few slides were a review of the passive form for academic writing style, whilst the later two slides with activities model the type of academic language but additionally build on the grammar awareness of the formation of the passive/ :mail:

Jemima Perry
                                  Participant
                                    @jemima

I like your Wordwall activities Allison. They’re really good because you have to really think about them.

Juliet Parfitt
                                    Keymaster
                                      @juliet

These are really nice activities @spottypoppy. I like how you have the instructions on the slide above the activities, and how you introduce the tenses along with the passive. Just check which answers you have marked as correct/incorrect.

Thomas Leach
                                    Participant
                                      @thomasleach

So I choose two activities types for this.

The first is a multiple choice quiz. I give them the active and passive version of a sentence and they have to decide which is which. I thought that this would get the students to start noticing the differences between the types of sentence.

The second type then gets students to rearrange sentences into the passive. I just noticed someone else has done the same but I think it’s a good activity type.

<span>Are they active or passive?</span>

<span>Passive unjumble</span>

Juliet Parfitt
                                        Keymaster
                                          @juliet

I can’t open it @thomasleach. It says it’s set to Private.

Thomas Leach
                                          Participant
                                            @thomasleach

Thanks for letting me know, I didn’t notice. I’ve set them to public now.

Juliet Parfitt
                                            Keymaster
                                              @juliet

These activities look good. My only suggestion would be to shuffle the sentences in the first activity. At the moment, if I see that the first sentence in the pair is active, I can guess that the 2nd one will then be passive without needing to read it carefully.

Julie Ibdali
                                            Participant
                                              @julie

Here are links to my slides and 2 activies.

I decided on T/F about when we use the passive at the beginning as a general reminder, and then at the end an activity that is a follow-up from the slides.

My slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RqKiHYm3_LwUpDW3WafY7yQ3rfUvwnCET08YqAMserQ/edit#slide=id.gdf9ee1971d_0_5

Activity 1: https://wordwall.net/play/18013/152/291

Activity 2: https://wordwall.net/play/18014/122/871

Jemima Perry
                                                Participant
                                                  @jemima

I love the True False activity Julie. I like the Blackboard background and I really like the way the sentences move quite quickly so you have to think quickly. Definitely got me on my toes!

Juliet Parfitt
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @juliet

The second activity is really clear @julie. The examples show the ‘obvious’/’irrelevant’ distinction very well. The second activity is definitely fun, but I wonder how necessary it is to read the descriptions at speed. Perhaps that is more suited to a vocabulary/spelling type task or something focusing on speed reading.

Caitlin Coyle
                                                  Participant
                                                    @caitlin

Hello all,

Here is the link to my Google slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QoYWouuTJah0djrLlSK5m-I8yo8GeuVHb6pOXUFa_Ao/edit#slide=id.gdfabbf3a6a_0_0

The links to my Wordwall activities are on my slides, but I will attempt to embed them here too:

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/b9eda91d16c245b09b3f9ad8d8dc4677?themeId=1&templateId=36&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/47eb83ec829141b9913a054dae081a6f?themeId=45&templateId=72&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope the embedding worked

Juliet Parfitt
                                                      Keymaster
                                                        @juliet

@Caitlin, I like the way you have included different forms of the passive in your practice tasks, starting with a simpler gap fill and then moving on to order the sentences. In the sentence ordering task, just sentence 2 was perhaps a little long – students might have to focus more on the noun phrases here than the passive.

Caitlin Coyle
                                                      Participant
                                                        @caitlin

clearly it didn’t work :cry:

Juliet Parfitt
                                                        Keymaster
                                                          @juliet

Note that you can add or edit the instructions for your Wordwall activities using the ‘+ Instruction’ button. It’s quite small and easy to miss.

Caitlin Coyle
                                                          Participant
                                                            @caitlin

@juliet Yes, I clicked on the text button and I have tried again with the same result :-(

Rachel Beresford
                                                            Participant
                                                              @rachel-beresford

Here is the link to my presentation.

I would add in this group sort activity after slide to to provide students with practice at identifying the active and passive voices after reading the explanations and seeing the examples.

The jumble activity could be used after the final slide to provide some controlled practice.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                                Keymaster
                                                                  @juliet

@rachel-beresford, these activities look really good. I like how students have to distinguish between active past tense verbs and passive past participles.

Bernadette Kelly
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @berniek

Here’s the link to my presentation. I changed the background colour to follow rules for accessibility.

Assuming the presentation is about WHEN to use passive, rather than HOW to use it, I made this activity:  link

This was done in a hurry!

Aline André
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @aline

Here is an initial lesson to check prior knowledge:

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/e110d5027fcc480f9545ad68532030ed?themeId=1&templateId=35&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

This activity would come after PPT presentation to check learning

<iframe src=”https://wordwall.net/embed/9d9a7345f2b84fb39b0075fcd42849d2?themeId=45&templateId=72&#8243; width=”500″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aline André
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @aline

Once again, I tried to embed my activities, but it didn’t work. I can’t see the buttons ‘Visual’ and ‘Text’ when I write my posts.

David Read
                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                        @david

@aline yes the embedding function doesn’t really work as we hoped, only me and @juliet can do it because we’re administrators, there’s some kind of security layer preventing you from doing so. So, please just share them as links in the reply box (we’ve removed the text option now)

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.