Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add the links to your presentation and the two activities you created for it below as well as a short rationale explaining why you chose those activities and where they would come in the presentation, e.g:

“The unjumble activity would come right at the beginning to check their existing knowledge of the passive voice for unknown actor. The quiz with the multiple choice questions would come right at the end after the grammar explanation to check their understanding of the form, meaning and structure”

Please come back to the forum during the week and try to leave responses to at least two other teacher’s activities, commenting on how effective you think the activities are in helping the students process the information in the presentation.

Robert Anderson
        Participant
          @robert

https://wordwall.net/play/23371/348/581

This Quiz activity with multiple choice answers would come at the beginning of the learning sequence and would give learners the opportunity to check their existing knowledge of passive verb forms before getting into its use in the context of describing a process.

https://wordwall.net/play/23372/430/976

This Missing Word drag and drop activity would come towards the end of the learning sequence and would provide learners with opportunity to create/complete a simple process description in a guided way. Unfortunately,  Wordwall does not allow for an image to be incorporated into this type of activity, so perhaps a diagram of the process would need to be added to a slide next to a link to the activity in order to provide a visual cue to the process (though in this case it has resulted in a rather crowded final slide!).

Juliet Parfitt
            Keymaster
              @juliet

These are great activities @robert. One way to solve the problem of combining it with an image, and still maintaining contiguity, is to embed the Wordwall activity on another platform next to an image. For example, here is an image next to a Wordwall task embedded on a Storyline slide. 

Sue Everest
              Participant
                @sue

@robert I like your use of images and colours. Yes, I agree how it’s a bit fiddly to see what you can and can’t do with wordwall.

Paul Middlemas
              Participant
                @paul-m

Past Passives jumbled sentences 

https://wordwall.net/play/23531/004/738

I think getting the correct word order in passive sentences is one of the toughest challenges, so tried the jumbled sentences option. Potentially, this could be useful for students to practise the structure once they are comfortable with the grammar rules. It would be nice to be able to highlight/underline/bold the key parts of the sentence at the end, so students could see the correct structure. I would possibly be wary that students could guess the answer to these without fully understanding what they are doing, and it also relies on students having an understanding of the vocab…

That said, I think it’s a fun activity to use and with some repetition and the competitive leaderboard element, could help consolidate understanding before students attempt a more active use of the language…

Passive vs Active (past) gap fill 

https://wordwall.net/play/23533/929/486

I think this one works better for this structure as can specifically focus on the TL.

Out of context, not sure how useful this (or the above) would be, but I think if they were embedded into a lesson (or flipped slides) with explanation and rules of the structure, then it would be good practice and offer some nice s-focused interactive practice…

Juliet Parfitt
                  Keymaster
                    @juliet

I like these activities @paul-m as they both practice structure in different ways. :good: I agree that Wordwall is generally more appropriate for activities that sit within the context of a lesson, but it can provide a quick and engaging knowledge check.

Sue Everest
                    Participant
                      @sue

@paul-m I enjoyed your activities. Good idea to have an active/passive one. I agree with you that in the jumbled up activity students could partly guess the correct answer as the green ticks appear as you go along.

Sue Everest
                    Participant
                      @sue

I’ve updated my presentation. I do think it’s good to check student knowledge at the start of a topic to assess how to conduct the lesson.

https://wordwall.net/resource/23611821/passives

Having just explained how the word order changes in a passive sentence, it seems like a good place here to practise more of the same using an unjumbling activity.

https://wordwall.net/resource/23612676/passives

Students enjoy an element of competition and so I’ve included a cloze activity at the end of the slides for them to practise using the passives with different tenses. Hopefully, this rounding off activity helps them to think why the passive is used, how it is constructed and how it affect the sentence structure.

I found it very difficult to think of sentences. Does this get easier with practice?

Juliet Parfitt
                        Keymaster
                          @juliet

@sue your activities are set to Private at the moment, so they won’t open. If you go back in and click on Share, then either make public or set as an assignment. This will give you the link to post.

Andrew Burke
                        Participant
                          @andrew

Simple activity to check students can change sentences from active to passive

Students rearrange words to form the passive, checking students understand the correct word order

Andrew

Sue Everest
                          Participant
                            @sue

@juliet thanks. Here are new links:

hope it works now :yahoo:

David Read
                            Keymaster
                              @david

@sue and @andrew, you both created similar sentence rearranging activities, both very effective. The puzzle element does force students to really engage with the content and think about word order and grammar.

@andrew
                              , the first task perhaps needed clearer instruction as it wasn’t clear exactly what I needed to do (eg click on item, then click again to see the passive form) . Wordwall does give you the option to change the instructions when creating, see pic below and the section highlighted in red.

Andrew Burke
                              Participant
                                @andrew

Thanks David, I didn’t realise you had this option.

Andrew

Brenda Allen
                                Participant
                                  @azurial

Not sure how to delete this redundant previous post?!?

Brenda Allen
                                  Participant
                                    @azurial

As these two activities relate directly back to the slide presentation, I had been trying to embed them on google slides.  I am now guessing this is not possible – as I cannot see the symbol of two sideways vs and maybe because it is not a website?

Both activities practice grammar highlighted on the previous slides.

The first involves students first referring back to a video of a process to assist them in creating passive sentences:

I would have preferred to have used a simple matching activity here but could not seem to find a format that was appropriate.  When I tried to create other activities earlier, I did find the selection a little limited for my purposes – but I suppose there are more options with a full subscription to Wordwall.

Follow up: I have just piloted this on my son and immediately realised that – in the numbers 4 and 5, where adverbs are employed – both ‘slowly’ and ‘exactly’ could equally be placed in alternative positions.  So, my question now would be whether there is a way of accepting both alternatives in cases like these?  Although, I would be more inclined to rephrase the original sentences to avoid this distraction.  (I just added the adverbs originally to create a modicum of variety and interest.)

All in all, I don’t think the activity really works in any optimum kind of way.  Maybe a case of me following the tech rather than the tech addressing my intentions?

The second combines practice of singulars and plurals (object/verb agreement) with practice of regular and irregular past participles:

Although such activities may not seem very challenging, these two fairly basic and easily rectified grammatical errors are a frequent feature when students attempt the passive.  (Along with tense selection, which I have omitted at this point.)  I think plenty of simple practice of this type could be extremely helpful in remedying this – and much more fun and successful than in a workbook offering.  However, I am sorely aware of my own limitations as yet…

Sue Everest
                                    Participant
                                      @sue

@Brenda, enjoyed your activities. In the first 1 I found number 4 tricky, possible because there could be more than one possibility in word order? What do you think?

Brenda Allen
                                        Participant
                                          @azurial

Thanks @Sue, and well spotted!   I already discovered the flaw shortly after I had already posted – and subsequently edited my post, viz:

“Follow up: I have just piloted this on my son and immediately realised that – in the numbers 4 and 5, where adverbs are employed – both ‘slowly’ and ‘exactly’ could equally be placed in alternative positions. So, my question now would be whether there is a way of accepting both alternatives in cases like these? Although, I would be more inclined to rephrase the original sentences to avoid this distraction. (I just added the adverbs originally to create a modicum of variety and interest.)

All in all, I don’t think the activity really works in any optimum kind of way. Maybe a case of me following the tech rather than the tech addressing my intentions?”

Juliet Parfitt
                                          Keymaster
                                            @juliet

I like these activities @azurial, and yes, I agree that the second one is very useful for correcting those small but persistent errors. In some of the tools, we can add alternative answers, but only to a fairly limited extent. It is a limitation to keep in mind.

Aaron Darmudas
                                          Participant
                                            @aarond

Juliet Parfitt
                                            Keymaster
                                              @juliet

Nice 1st task @aarond, There is one clear answer for how the words should be ordered. For the second task, I suggest making the instructions clearer, .e.g. Click on True if the sentence is passive and False if it is active.

Brenda Allen
                                                Participant
                                                  @azurial

This was a great fun and ambitious activity, @aarond, and I thought you were brave to give it a whirl.  When I first tried it out, I was not really sure of the purpose so @Juliet’s suggestion was helpful in clarifying that.  It would be great if there could just be buttons for ‘Active’ and ‘Passive’ rather than True/False – but I guess that wasn’t feasible.

Jonathan Rowland
                                                Participant
                                                  @jjdr

1. https://wordwall.net/resource/24433191/quizsport-and-cinemapassive

As a warmer. Before the activity to highlight how the passive might be used.

2. https://wordwall.net/resource/24430909/passive-voice-be

Could be used at any point. Noting a natural tendency to focus on the main verb this aims to encourage students to reflect on how ‘be’ works in passive sentences.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @juliet

Hi @jjdr, your tasks are still set to Private. If you go back into the activity in Wordwall and click on Share, then select either make public or set as an assignment. That should give you the link to post.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.