Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
          @david

Please add the links to your presentation and the two activities you created for it below as well as a short rationale explaining why you chose those activities and where they would come in the presentation, e.g:

“The unjumble activity would come right at the beginning to check their existing knowledge of the passive voice for unknown actor. The quiz with the multiple choice questions would come right at the end after the grammar explanation to check their understanding of the form, meaning and structure”

Please come back to the forum during the week and try to leave responses to at least two other teacher’s activities, commenting on how effective you think the activities are in helping the students process the information in the presentation.

ann clayton
          Participant
              @ann-c

I’ve added a revision exercise at the beginning of the presentation, to remind students what they have learnt already and a short summary test at the end for them to test their understanding. I think the true/false wordwall activity is a a bit full on and jars slightly with the rest of the presentation (are there alternative programmes like the ones we saw in the examples?). It was really interesting to see what was available on wordwall

Juliet Parfitt
              Keymaster
                  @juliet

That’s a great Wordwall activity @ann-c. Don’t forget to add some really clear instructions in the task, e.g. ‘Click on the passive sentence below.’ You can select different backgrounds etc in Wordwall, but next week we’ll look at H5P, which you might prefer.

Tim Radnor
                  Participant
                      @timr

@david @juliet

I created a missing word activity as a review of what students may or may not already know: a statement about passive voice with a choice of three options. This seemed a good fit as a review of possible previous lessons & would serve as a lead-in to my main lesson.

https://wordwall.net/resource/36914343

Then, I created a post-lesson check with a ‘Group Sort’ task. This format seemed to fit the idea of deciding whether to include the ‘doer’ of the action or not. I quite like this format of question as it allows for a bit more depth to the questions.

Here are the slides so you can see them in context:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19XDkJIDdEbGgDyeA0-EoDpVnQZ0PBPlMv7yOXZzUhro/edit?usp=sharing

Tania Pacheco
                      Participant
                          @tania-pacheco

Hi,

I’ve updated/improved my presentation about the passive voice. I’ve got the inspiration from the three examples from the section “Apply: features of engaging and interactive content” and I’ve created two tasks using Wordwall. The first one is for checking the previous knowledge and the second one is for practising the passive voice.

Here are the links and any feedback will be truly appreciated. I’ve enjoyed using Wardwall!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z_AFcw807CZ_MC13WkV4NT6e8tugVfMz

https://wordwall.net/resource/36925797    https://wordwall.net/resource/36929936

:bye:

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                          Participant
                              @helen-sc

I created a true /false quiz followed by a cloze gap fill task with some extra options added in. I felt what I have created seemed a bit simplistic, particularly as with fewer sentences, the font size is HUGE! I couldn’t see an option to change this but I am sure there is! :unsure:

I decided to put both of these tasks at the end of my slides – Students check understanding with true/ false statements https://wordwall.net/play/36861/747/160

and then complete the cloze task https://wordwall.net/play/36947/446/926

Amon Ezike
                                Participant
                                    @amon246

Hello Tania,
                                    Really great work. I liked the check your knowledge activity however I think the learner might benefit from having a bit more time to think, the scrolling might be difficult for slow readers to grasp, it might be a bit distracting. Your missing task was very good, you might improve it by telling the user what they are about to do at the top rather than the bottom, this could be achieved through filling the instruction bit i think while creating the task.

David Read
                                  Keymaster
                                      @david

@timr I really like your activity, really forces them to think about the use of the structure and checks their understanding

@tania-pacheco
                                      , I like the activity focussing on form where they put the words in the correct place in the sentence. Having the distractors there is good as it stops it becoming a mechanical activity. I think the other activity (read the sentence and answer the question) was a little stressful to complete, simply because of the reading required while the text is moving. I think that kind of task works well with individual words (e.g. the word tomato and they choose fruit/vegetable), more challenging when it’s a longer stretch of text. Can you look at wordwall again and think of a better format for that kind of activity?

@helen-sc
                                      I think a similar thing applies to your T/F exercise, it becomes less about their ability to understand and more about their ability to read moving text ;-) Can you think of a different format to put it into? The cloze test, however, was a nice check of both form and meaning!

Re the font, I’m not sure there’s much you can do about it, I think you can change the style of font, but don’t think there’s much you can do with the size.

Tania Pacheco
                                        Participant
                                            @tania-pacheco

Hola David,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it! You are right, it was a little bit of too much with the timing running, I’ve changed the task, I hope this one is better:

:good:

Amon Ezike
                                          Participant
                                              @amon246

Hello all

My presentation is at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17VPFIVJuAbcxuOTdllzyqCMaPJTXSTjoEdb3aWHCIl8/edit#slide=id.g171742f913f_0_219

I created a quiz to check their understanding of passive voice at

After the lesson, I then wanted them to revisit the quiz again to check if they did better after the lesson then provided them with more practice questions using missing words activity.

Juliet Parfitt
                                                Keymaster
                                                    @juliet

These are nicely staged tasks @amon246. Just make sure, especially in the 2nd task, that there are no ambiguities (e.g. should the answers be in the past or present?) resulting from a lack of context.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.