Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Share your ideas on the following question, either by text or by Loom video (optional):

Based on the content you viewed, what do you think video adds to courses?

In the spirit of the unit, I’ve added a short reflection via video below:

Robert Anderson
        Participant
          @robert

Here’s my short video in response to the question. BTW Loom seems pretty easy to use. I can certainly imagine myself using this quite a bit from now on.

https://www.loom.com/share/789bdcdbebcf4750b4a585c9c9129913

Robert

Brenda Allen
          Participant
            @azurial

I’d endorse all that Robert has covered in his video. One crucial role of video (and possibly audio in some cases) in an online course is to bring the teacher’s presence into asynchronous lessons.  Clearly, too, both audio and video provide irreplaceable models of pronunciation, intonation, connected speech, accent, register etc – and also of structure.  However, the best thing about video for me is that it brings real life into the classroom – virtual or otherwise – especially when the video is ‘authentic’. (Though scripted ones for ELT/EAP purposes have their uses in a different capacity.)  It is also crucial for providing topical and relevant content for exploitation, providing a sense of immediacy and personalisation. Whilst video may once have had novelty value, it has long been an indispensable means of relating to students who, by and large, are immersed in a world of multi media. As such, it can be at its most effective when students take ownership and produce their own videos as a contribution to the overall learning experience.

Naomi Rabin
            Participant
              @naomirabin

Loom looks like a great tool, @robert, that was a nice video you made! Definitely agree with all the points made, @azurial too. Video is definitely engaging and I really think it helps to personalise the content a little bit, and bring some immediacy to students who may be studying far away. I like the thought that video brings some nice models of pronunciation and register to students too.

Paul Middlemas
              Participant
                @paul-m

What do you think video adds to courses…?

I agree with the comments made by @robert in his video, and also with Brenda’s @azurial points, especially the ‘immediacy and personalisation’ which video provides. I think you both also mention that there is a student expectation to provide input and activities through this medium.

I think most the points I want to make are covered in both your posts, and @naomirabin ‘s  comment, that video can personalise content, which gets/keeps students engaged.

The examples above vary in their content and objective, but they all have a range of multimedia (video, pictures, text) and all have high level of student control (clicking, can go back and repeat, can pause, and so on..) which may be more limited without video.

I’ve used EdPuzzle before, but never the self-created content. This was a good example of how videos can be tailored towards specific aims which definitely can add to the quality of a course.

Sue Everest
                Participant
                  @sue

https://www.loom.com/share/3a40628b026d4101a0d3d98c7f6653eb

Here I am at the Travelodge in Cringleford, Norwich. I did want to have a go, despite feeling very tired!

Brenda Allen
                    Participant
                      @azurial

Nice backdrop from the Cringleford Travelodge, @Sue.  I liked your overview of each of the videos – and especially agreed with you about the Crystal video.  The treatment did just about manage to lift the rather pontificating and somehow outdated content, otherwise I might have dozed off.  I agree with you completely about the importance of students – including ourselves – achieving a sense of identification and belonging when exclusively studying online.  Video plays a vital role here – as do breakout rooms, as you say, and synchronous sessions – in preserving a sense of online community and maintaining an ongoing connection with the course teacher.  On that, I liked David’s customised talk best as it was so succinct and demonstrated the use of graphic devices and timed release of information so effectively.  I think that trying to exploit existing video brings certain challenges in judging where, when and how to intervene most effectively without destroying the natural flow.

Juliet Parfitt
                    Keymaster
                      @juliet

Thanks everyone for your long list of positive comments about the use of video in online learning. It may be stating the obvious, but one point worth an explicit mention is the fact that in all of these examples, the video itself is combined with some form of interactive task. Aside from increasing engagement, these tasks would enable us to track scores and see how our students are doing if posted, for example, on an LMS. This may be harder to do with video alone.

Zsofia Tarjani
                      Participant
                        @zsofit

Again, I’m a bit late and so I can’t add much. I enjoyed your video responses @sue and @robert  and I agreed with your points.  @sue mentioned giving students a sense of belonging to a place where learning takes place..I think it’s so true, yet so easy to forget.

Andrew Burke
                        Participant
                          @andrew

Example 1 – distracting graphics, some questions over-simplified but I guess they do force you to pay attention. Liked rewatch button

Example 2 – liked how you had to write sentences, rather than just clicking

Example 3 – Video personalises the content, felt a bit like a face to face class but with added benefit of clear graphics and writings, rather than teachers’ scribbles.

Example 4 – meh

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.