Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
          @david

Share your ideas on the following question, either by text or by Loom video (optional):

Based on the content you viewed, what do you think video adds to courses?

In the spirit of the unit, I’ve added a short reflection via video below:

Akiko IWATA
          Participant
              @akiko

Hi everyone. This is mine.

ann clayton
              Participant
                  @ann-c

Hi due to tech issues, (using an incognito account) I can’t load loom.  I’ll have a go with my personal email address later.

What did the videos add…..

The videos provided opportunities to share information and  check, practice and test knowledge.  Short videos, like these, can add a change in pace to an online lesson.  Viewing was interactive, requiring responses and participants were able to move forward and backwards with in the activity.  Information was multi sensory with graphics reinforcing audio.  Including real people/voices personalised the learning providing the illusion of listening to a live performance by a physical teacher/expert.  Including videos could provide a vast range of graphic information for students that it would be very difficult to give in just images and words

Tania Pacheco
                  Participant
                      @tania-pacheco

What’s audio or video being used for in each piece of content (e.g. present information, check knowledge, practise pronunciation etc)?

What does video/audio add in this content over other media (text, images etc)?

Example 1: presents information about obesity with dynamic visuals, checking progress from time to time. This helps to continue checking understanding. The use of this sort of images helped me to focus in what it was said, avoiding distractions. I think it was a very effective way of informing people about obesity in a chronological way without the need of overwhelming with images.

Example 2: I personally liked this type of educational videos with a person who knows what he is talking about, very natural and profound way of presenting the topic. I personally did not like the fact of having the video interrupted to do the knowledge check, but I guess this is just a personal taste.

Example 3: It is a well structure lecture that media has been used to emphasize the use of technology with clear examples and questions asking what was the reason that David has chosen to use this and that. I liked because, we did a sort of revision and recap from the previous units. I like the fact that there was time to reflect on what it was said.

Example 4: I feel this example less personal. It has been created with the aim of practising listening skills of a specific topic. I like the variety of tasks. Although for some unknown reason I felt stressed trying to get all the answers right all the time.

I personally prefer the video 2. I did not create any video sorry because I cannot stand looking at myself, I have done those before and I was sweating throughout the whole recording. I am very surprised how many youtubers and young people can make videos so easily, one after another and they seem to be a such ease, I cannot even listen to myself in a recording.

@Akiko
                      I love your video! Bravo!

@David
                      , I wish one day I can have your skills to look so natural in front of a camera! ;-)

David Read
                      Keymaster
                          @david

thanks so much @akiko for putting yourself on camera, I know people often don’t like doing this (@tania-pacheco for example ;-) ) and that’s a very understandable thing! I like the feature on Loom now were you can make comments/use emojis underneath it, so I added a few to your videos.

Tania and @ann-c, thanks for your comments as well, you really cover the advantages of video thoroughly. Tania, I do take your point about interruptions in videos to answer questions, it can break the ‘flow’ of the video and ultimately students’ ability to see the bigger picture of what the speaker is saying. But from a language point of view, if the focus is on a short piece of the video, that’s the only way to do it really.

Richard Davie
                          Participant
                              @egq22rd

What does video add?

In addition to what’s been said above, what struck me as important was simply also something to look at.  This is not trivial, esp. to less text-oriented generations of learners (arguably incl. us now?). Even a static or minimally moving image (like the torso-and-head of the lecturer in the little window in Example 4) gives something for the eye to rest on.  [It would be interesting to know if research suggested looking at an abstract but changing image increased uptake just on its own; so it’s not just what the image represents, but the actual presence of a moving image that can make a difference.]

Couple of questions arising:

• User control feels important to me, so any of embedded YouTubes (or other videos) where I couldn’t alter the speed control (as well as time position on the slider etc.) irritated me (just a little), whereas the presence of Skip controls etc. I liked. Of course racing through content impatiently fast is also a vice, so the tasks that forced me to concentrate, and caught me out if I didn’t, were good.
                              • I like the use of micro-clips & the tasks with them focusing on connected speech. I can really see the advantage of a system like Storyline at that point.
                              • Why Loom rather than any other mechanism for video recording/sharing? I’m an advocate not for tech-minimalism (why would I be doing this course otherwise?!) but non-tech maximalism, so I get nervous as the count of third-party sites and additional applications requiring more log-ins (and payment plans) goes up. I’m sure there will be a good reason: but why Loom rather than….?
                              Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                              Participant
                                  @helen-sc

My excuse for not going on video is that I’m sure you don’t want to see me spluttering my tea all over the place again!

I think videos can add to course but they shouldn’t be used just because its video, and so different from the book! For example, video 2 could just as easily be done as a listening task with students having the questions. There isn’t really anything for them to see on the screen that helps enhance their learning or understanding of the audio – unlike a TED Ed video for example. And if learners are using 2 skills (visual and audio), the abilities of both skills are reduced, whereas if its an audio only task, learners are more focused and their listening improves (not just my ideas, I researched this more my DELTA!).

Audio (rather than video in exmaple 4) is good to demonstrate aspects  of pronunciation that would be time consuming to teach any other way!!

Having the knowledge check/questions come up whilst the learners watch is good for them to check thier own understanding as they go  (they sometimes think as its video they will understand it all!) and having the learner control to go back and rewatch a section is also good.

Tim Radnor
                                  Participant
                                      @timr

The first presents an overview of a scientific topic: the tasks on the software check retention of factual knowledge.

The second video is an interview with an academic. Stduents are encouraged to take notes to answer more general questions than in video one. Students need to follow the speaker’s argument(s). The third video uses video to show presentation (lecture?) techniques, and the tasks text listening skills. The video is also used as a basis for analysing presentation techniques. The final video is similar and it is a lecture video: it is used for students to practise listening skills, and then as a basis for analysing discourse markers  e.g. signposting language in lectures.

AV adds the following I think: for the ‘lecture’/’presentation’ videos, it has the advantage of students seeing the speaker’s face, facial expressions and other paralinguistic features. This can be used as part of the input if covering presentation skills. The second one (interview with David Crystal) adds more authenticity and possibly interest as he is quite an engaging speaker on the subject (compared, to say, a teacher reading out similar material). The first one has animation to enagage the viewer, and is certainky more interesting than only an audio recodring on the same topic.

Amon Ezike
                                      Participant
                                          @amon246

Example 1

Used audio and animation to present information and text to check knowledge at interval, I think the knowledge check came abruptly initially but as you went along you expected it.

Example 2
                                          The video with David Crystal presenting made it feel authentic, the use of text to let user know what to expect and take notes was good. It also uses multiple choice quizzes to check understanding.

Example 3

Lecture based video with lots of reflection on the user side and the use of open ended questions to get the user thinking. It would have been nice to have possible answers for users to compare.

Example 4

Use of videos and multiple activities to check knowledge is good, the use of audio for pronunciation makes it a lot easier for the user

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.