Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Share your ideas on the following question, either by text or by Loom video (optional):

Based on the content you viewed, what do you think video adds to courses?

In the spirit of the unit, I’ve added a short reflection via video below:

Allison Dresner
        Participant
          @spottypoppy

https://www.loom.com/share/d40669d03db74fd4937f8e914bd6645d

embarrassing  – tried to chop the end a little unsuccessfully but only cut the last word!:unsure: :wacko:

Allison

Thomas Leach
          Participant
            @thomasleach

I did try to use Loom for this but the software kept running into issues so I deleted it.

I think as you said, that video adds personalization. I think it can also add an element of dynamism in an otherwise static course. Video can also sometimes demonstrates or express ideas or concepts better than other mediums. The issue is doing video well, which could take too long, at first especially, and also as you said, not all of us want to be on screen. If I used video, I wouldn’t have myself on camera but use images and video of other things with narration but then would that take even longer?

David Lincoln
            Participant
              @david-l

I agree with Tom. It feels like one is interacting and engaging with the content and  a social presence makes it personal. However, I’m not sure I want to be on screen but I suppose an avatar can be used instead.  Appearing on screen and  be able to use it effectively does seem to add  an extra dimension to the learning contect for the learner.

sue robbins
              Participant
                @suerobbins
                sue robbins
                Participant
                  @suerobbins

Forgot I can’t embed – so ignore this one :wacko:

Bernadette Kelly
                  Participant
                    @berniek

Here?  loom

David Read
                    Keymaster
                      @david

thanks @spottypoppy @thomasleach @david-l @suerobbins @berniek for your comments (and thanks for making the videos as well, as @suerobbins notes, it can be quite a stressful experience!).

Lots of excellent points about video, personalisation and exposure to real lectures and a variety of accents, helping to break up large text sections in an online course or added a bit of dynamism. As Sue noted as well, you can also get students using video to post comments etc, though you will come up against a natural reluctance at times. I think if the teacher is willing to do it and lead by example, students will often follow.

Aline André
                      Participant
                        @aline

Here is my attempt

Jemima Perry
                        Participant
                          @jemima

As Sue, Bernie and Aline say, video makes the lessons more personal and interactive, and I also I agree with the point that Alison makes that video / audio can provide authentic listening material and a range of accents and can support learning e.g. with the use of embedded questions.

I think I remember reading (in week 1?) that we engage more and retain more info if we hear it rather than read it? (I could be misremembering this though…)

I also agree with Sue about how stressful it is making videos – hats off to you for doing it anyway. It’s too late here for making videos!

Julie Ibdali
                          Participant
                            @julie

I agree with everyone who has mentioned that video makes the lessons more personal and interactive.  The interactiveness of the videos keep the students fully engaged and probably motivated.  I do think avatars and characters are a bit gimmicky, so the videos add authenticity.

Paula Villegas Verdu
                            Participant
                              @paula_villegas

Some really interesting points made by you all! I really can see how videos are great for personalisation but I am not sure they are worth the stress of actually making them :unsure:

Caitlin Coyle
                              Participant
                                @caitlin

Based on the content you viewed, what do you think video adds to courses?

Hi all,

Agree with all of the above: personalisation; interactivity (liked the emoji use in Loom); exposure to different accents and dialects. I also video can at times (not always!) be quicker than saying things in writing. For example, I didn’t have time in class once to go over the various websites that students can use to improve their vocab and collocations, so I introduced two in class (Flax and Oxford Text Checker) and then I made a short video after class going through some others websites (Coxhead’s AWL; EAP Foundation AWL Highlighter; Oxford Learner’s Dictionary collocation section, etc.). I was personally wasn’t too worried that the video was a bit amateurish- a recorded Zoom screencast – because it was something my students had asked for (not the video, just more ways to improve their vocab) so I though it was enough for its purpose.  I didn’t make a script but it would have perhaps been more seamless if I had made a script. Obviously though creating actual activities that would be far more time-consuming.

Something I was thinking was that a good mix of reading and listening is necessary though even if hearing is preferable to reading. I  know for example some people hate  getting whatsapp audios and would prefer the text as reading can potentially be done more easily than listening (and watching) at times. For me writing can be a real drag and making a quick audio/ screencast can be quite useful. Audio feedback is an area I’m getting interested in and maybe there is scope for video feedback. This may be very time consuming but then again so is the written! I suppose it comes down to what teachers are comfortable with, what time they are given and what they think will best help the student.

Rachel Beresford
                                Participant
                                  @rachel-beresford

I agree with the comments above. The video helps to make online courses more personalized and engaging. For EAP students, they also provide a good opportunity to listening skills, notetaking in lectures etc, and provide exposure to a variety of accents. As mentioned above using videos on an online course can also provide a break from text-based activities, helping to maintain learner interest and engagement.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.