Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Flores Lasarte
        @manuel

In this forum we’d like you to share your answers to these two questions:

1. Which approach (PPP, Guided Discovery, Test-teach-test and TBL) would you feel more comfortable using as a teacher? Why?
        2. Which approach would you prefer as a student? Why?
        Emma Maerz
        Participant
          @emma

1. Which approach (PPP, Guided Discovery, Test-teach-test and TBL) would you feel more comfortable using as a teacher? Why?

My preferred approach, when possible, would be to use Guided Discovery.  When students are able to figure out grammar rules for themselves there seems to be a deeper understanding of the target language that stays with the students longer than if it was taught.  In addition, Guided Discovery minimises TTT.

2. Which approach would you prefer as a student? Why?

I’d definitely prefer Guided Discovery for the same reason that I’d prefer to teach using this approach.  In the long run, I think the student benefits so much more.  In fact, I’m wondering if I would be able to use this approach to self-teach and improve my L2/3 grammar.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
            @manuel

Thank you Emma for getting this forum started. A guided discovery approach can certainly be more engaging for both teachers and students. Let’s see what the others think.

YI-HSUAN SHIH
            Participant
              @ellashih

Which approach (PPP, Guided Discovery, Test-teach-test and TBL) would you feel more comfortable using as a teacher? Why?

If I am a teacher, I will pick TBL as the approach, as I really agree with the idea of if learning a language, leaner should know how to use that in the real life. And it will create an environment that encourages the student to use language more creatively.

Which approach would you prefer as a student? Why?

If I am a student I will prefer the guided discovery approach, because it is important for leaner to know the basic grammar of the language, so that the leaner can learn this language deeper.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                @manuel

Thank you both. I can see that you both like approaches in which learners are encouraged to be active participants of their learning. This is in line with the current teaching methodology of active learning, which encourages guided discovery and TBL in many educational settings. In fact, in addition to choosing one particular approach, it is now quite common to combine all  approaches in what we call ‘principled eclecticism’. For example, in a ‘principled eclectic approach’ a teacher can:

– Use TBL to focus on a task (e.g. ‘learners to decide on activities to do during the weekend)

– Use PPP to scaffold the lesson and help learners use the language successfully. For example: after a lead-in to introduce the task, the teacher gives an example of things they would like to do during the weekend & clarifies the language to use (Presentation), gives learners a few practice exercises to help students feel confident (Practice) and finally asks learners to do the task introduced at the beginning (Production)

– Use a Guided Discovery approach in the ‘presentation’ stage of the PPP lesson to elicit more and keep learners engaged.

Anna Paoli
                Participant
                  @anna

I totally agree with Emma actually!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.