Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Flores Lasarte
        @manuel

To review what we have seen this week, think about the following common problems students have with listening or reading. Imagine that you had these students in your class. What would you do? 

Student 1: If I concentrate, I can understand the meaning of most words in a reading text but I normally struggle to understand the text as a whole. 

Student 2: The listening recordings are too fast! It’s true that when we read the scripts, I can recognise the words but I can’t recognise them when they are spoken. 

Student 3: When I read or listen to a text, I don’t know what I need to focus on.

YI-HSUAN SHIH
        Participant
          @ellashih

Student 1: If I concentrate, I can understand the meaning of most words in a reading text but I normally struggle to understand the text as a whole.

Answer: I will try to know what this student 1 interest is, as he/ she already can understand the vocabulary, and do a task to about the gist reading/ listening to try to understand the whole task.  Such as answer some questions to identify the content of text

Student 2: The listening recordings are too fast! It’s true that when we read the scripts, I can recognize the words but I can’t recognize them when they are spoken.

Answer: I think student 2 needs to improve her/his listening skill, maybe first of all Pre-teach  key vocabulary and also try  to let student 2 listen for specific information

Student 3: When I read or listen to a text, I don’t know what I need to focus on.

Answer:  I think student 3 may need some detail tasks to do, so he can know what to follow up on.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
            @manuel

Thank you Yi-Hsuan Shih for getting this forum started. Let’s see if other course participants have thought of similar or different ideas.

liuyizhi wang
            Participant
              @charlotte-wang

1/ Student 1: If I concentrate, I can understand the meaning of most words in a reading text but I normally struggle to understand the text as a whole.

The student can understand most of the words in the text means he/she has sufficient vocabulary. But he/she cannot understand the whole text, maybe the student is lacking grammar knowledge which leads to the inability to recognize the structure of long and difficult sentences.

Besides, sometimes one paragraph consists of different parts, such as subject sentence, explanation, example, summary, etc. The student who cannot understand the text likely lacks some reading skills to recognize all structures in the paragraph.

2/ Student 2: The listening recordings are too fast! It’s true that when we read the scripts, I can recognise the words but I can’t recognise them when they are spoken.

I think the student should listen more and more recording to improve their listening skills. For me, if I cannot recognise the word when someone spoke, this means I still not master the words. So, I suggest the student use these words to make sentences and review their pronunciation, that’s because no matter when, where, and what kind of intonation people say “hello” or “goodbye”, we can always recognize and understand it. The root cause is still unfamiliar with words or oral speaking habits.

3/ Student 3: When I read or listen to a text, I don’t know what I need to focus on.

I suggest the student should ask themself about the reading purpose before reading the text. And the teacher could give students more details about reading requirements.

Anna Paoli
              Participant
                @anna

To review what we have seen this week, think about the following common problems students have with listening or reading. Imagine that you had these students in your class. What would you do?

The learner would probably benefit from “reading for details” tasks as they provide students with considerable opportunities to fully  appreciate the links and the relationships between words as well as sentences.

Student 2: The listening recordings are too fast! It’s true that when we read the scripts, I can recognise the words but I can’t recognise them when they are spoken.

In order to improve the learner’s ability to grasp the features of connected speech, I’d first opt for semplified texts or recordings so that they can gradually build up their skills as well as their confidence.

It’s important for the learner to get familiar with the different reading subskills as they do correspond to specific purposes of reading as it happens in real life.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                  @manuel

Thank you all. You can find my final comments here.

Just to add to this, some good points from Anna’s post:

– When developing reading skills, consider activities that allow students to appreciate the links and the relationships between different sections and words.

– Use simplified texts to highlight aspects of connected speech (as we’ve done in unit 4.3)

– Familiarise students with different reading sub-skills in the type of tasks you give them but always remember to give them the task before the text.

Thank you for your contributions!

Jennifer Seeley
                  Participant
                    @jennifer-seeley

It is important to note that when we read in our L1 we often don’t read all the words or understand them all – but we read for the overall sense of the article.  Perhaps try skim reading the text, and only after doing so twice, going back to look up particular words.

Reassure them this will come with practice and familiarity.  Again consider the overall gist of the recording.  Discuss the impact of regional accents

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                      @manuel

Thank you Jennifer, very good ideas here!

Yes, proficient readers may also come across words they don’t know and that’s fine. We sometimes can guess from context and sometimes we can just ‘ignore’ the word. However, if after reading the whole text (perhaps several times as indicated by Jennifer), we still struggle to understand it because of a few unknown words, then it’s good to check those words. The important thing is to train our learners to read a text as they would in their native language and that includes accepting that some words may be unknown to them.

As for the listening, yes, reassurance and focusing on the gist will be really helpful. It is therefore important to design listening tasks that will give confidence to the learner rather than checking if learners understand the most difficult words of the text.

Xingfang Wang
                      Participant
                        @nancy-wang

1. Student 1: If I concentrate, I can understand the meaning of most words in a reading text but I normally struggle to understand the text as a whole.

Overall, this student’s listening skill is not bad, he or she could recognise most of the words’ meaning which means that acquired vocabularies are sufficient. However, the student noted that the difficulty of understanding a whole text. That is to say, he or she lacks the ability to analyse a sentence structure followed by grammar supports. We need to help him/her to intensify the grammar learning (including verb changes and the components of sentences) instead of reciting more words and relying on translation method to understand a text.

2. Student 2: The listening recordings are too fast! It’s true that when we read the scripts, I can recognise the words but I can’t recognise them when they are spoken.

The student should make sure that his/her pronunciation of most of the words is correct (especially stress and intonation), only we know the correct sound we could identify a word as fast as we can. Then, listen and repeat is an effective way to improve listening ability, and it can also help the student to familiar with each words’ sounds and adapt to the speed of dialogue.

3. Student 3: When I read or listen to a text, I don’t know what I need to focus on.

The student needs to unpack his/her learning steps rather than trying to understanding the whole text. For example, he/she could read one paragraph in a limited time slot and try to find key sentences/key words/transition words at the beginning. After that, finding the general meaning from one paragraph and underlining the difficult parts to ask the others’ help.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                          @manuel

Thank you Xingfang for your answer. Very interesting points about the importance of:

– understanding grammar to understand a text,

– working on pronunciation not only to improve speaking but also listening,

– reading the text in small chunks.

All very good! Thanks for sharing. For further points, remember to look at my feedback here.

Jessie
                          Participant
                            @jessie730

Student 1: Try to do a skim-reading sometimes,  and practice going beyond the literal meaning to summarize the main idea.

Student 2: I think the better way to improve this issue is more practice on listening. The more you listen, the quicker you’ll respond to it.

Student 3: I’ll suggest him\her focus on some keywords in reading and listening passages. It’s helpful for you to get a main idea about the article quickly.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.