Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Flores Lasarte
        @manuel
        • What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)
        • What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation? 

We’ll keep referring to this forum discussion throughout next week, so please keep coming back to know and comment on what your classmates have written.

Jennifer Seeley
        Participant
          @jennifer-seeley

What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)

There are so many different way we can pronounce letters which make up words.  And homophones / homographs complicate it further e.g ‘row’ as in line, or ‘row’ as in argument.

What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation? Listening to native speakers, practice, gentle correction, feedback e.g. ‘notice that the ‘t’ is silent’

Xinyi Chen
          Participant
            @kathychen

i think , thank , th is  a very confused pronunciation as a teacher and learner.

if learners are very young, they can learn phonics one by one to hence the foundation of the pronunciation. Moreover, Listen to some native songs. If learners are a teenager or adlenstent, listen to native speakers, practice and correct by the teacher.

YI-HSUAN SHIH
            Participant
              @ellashih

What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)

I think it’s because we already used to speak our mother language when the learner tries to learn another language, it might hard for them to pronounce some sounds. Not only for learners but also for teachers.

What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation?

Watch more movies and tv shows, listen to their songs, be brave to speak to the native speakers.

Jessie
              Participant
                @jessie730

1. What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)

As a learner, it would be a bit difficult for me if the vocabulary is multisyllabic and some words derived from other languages.

As a teacher, I personally think that pronunciation could be influenced by one’s dialect and educational environment. Such as some people from relatively backward regions, if they didn’t have a very good language context for mandarine, it would be difficult for them to grasp a foreign language very well. Because they probably could be affected by their teachers who have some accents in English. In this situation, the learners need to put more effort into themselves.

2. What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation?

For me, I listen to English songs and watch movies and dramas for years, I think they would have more fun than reading or listening to the news. In addition, I can learn many useful common phrases, and also daily languages from these resources, which I would never learn from my textbook in school.

liuyizhi wang
                Participant
                  @charlotte-wang

1. What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)
                  To be honest, everyone always has an accent, and sometimes it’s hard to avoid it. Because different areas have different pronunciation habits. For example, there is no separate consonant pronunciation in Japanese, which also makes it more difficult for them to learn English.
                  2. What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation?
                  I think we could listening enough recording and watch videos and then mimic their voice. Besides, we could record our voice and listen to it to compare their differences with standard English.

Emma Maerz
                  Participant
                    @emma

1.  What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation)

As a teacher, teaching pronunciation is my biggest challenge.  Having English as my L1 means that I haven’t learnt pronunciation in the same way I would need to teach it to L2 learners.   I agree that it is much easier for children to pick up the correct pronunciation and more challenging for adults.

2.  What can we do to improve our learners’ pronunciation?

We can encourage learners to listen to English outside the classroom and ask them to listen for the word stress, connected speech, and to also record themselves saying particular words or utterances.  Online dictionaries can be used to illustrate where the word stress is and how a word sounds, either in its strong and/or weak form.  Using phonemes to illustrate the different sounds, for example, with the three different endings of past simple verbs.  Most importantly, we can use a lot of drilling.

Anna Paoli
                    Participant
                      @anna

What do you find difficult about English pronunciation? (as a learner or as a teacher teaching pronunciation).

Pronunciation consists of a considerable amount of complex features:

the phonemic system which entails the full understanding of:

vowels (single:  short vs long/diphthongs)

Consonants (Voiced/voiceless)

Other features such as:

Word stress, Sentence stress, connected speech, intonation

Intonation

Coming to grip with all these components is a real learning and teaching challenge

It might be sensible to first let learners notice all these aspects and then gradually engage them in communicative pronunciation tasks.

Angela Casado Castro
                      Participant
                        @angela

As a learner, I find a lot of differences with my native language and I think that is the main problem because there are some sounds that I´ve never pronounced before. As a teacher, to teach pronunciation is a really challenge when you are not English.

I think we should encourage them to practice as much they can in a enjoyable way out of the class time. I mean, giving them funny advices such a languages exchanges meetings, watch movies, listen music, etc. If they are enjoying, they will learn faster and better.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                          @manuel

Great contributions, everyone. It’s interesting to read that both ‘native’ and ‘non-native’ speakers mention that teaching pronunciation is difficult: the ‘native’ because they just produce the sound without really realising how and the ‘non-native’ because they struggle to model the ‘correct’ pronunciation. In addition to these differences between L1 and L2 speakers, I’d like to draw your attention to two interesting points you’ve raised: accent and exposure.

Arguably, having a particular accent could influence how you pronounce the target language since lack of familiarity with certain sounds can cause difficulties when producing those sounds. This can be problematic for  language teachers who are ‘non-native’ as they may not be a ‘good’ model and may negatively influence students’ pronunciation. But what is a ‘good’ model? Are all ‘native-speakers’ good models? Should non-native speakers avoid teaching pronunciation altogether? Why / why not?

Another interesting point you mention is exposure to ‘native speakers’ through songs, TV shows and films to improve pronunciation. But is exposure enough to improve pronunciation? Why / why not?

I look forward to reading your answers.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.