Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

If you have any feedback or comments at the end of the first unit, we’d appreciate them. These can be comments about the content itself or about the site and the ease of use. However, please don’t feel under obligation to add anything here if time doesn’t permit.

Paula Acejo Cantero
          Participant
              @powla

Hello,

I would like to know if there are books with practical activities for fhe classroom using corpora including ready made lesson units that you could recommend? Or else, website links or interesting posts. Thanks. :mail:

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Thank you for your question @powla We have a long list of recommended resources and other corpus tools but we introduce this at the end of the course as a further study opportunity because it might be a little overwhelming to look at all of them during the course. For the time being, though, I could recommend the wonderful materials that Lancaster University has created using the British National Corpus. There are materials for A-level and GCSE teaching (link) and a few for ELT (link). As for books, there are some I could recommend but these have been written with specific corpus tools/platforms that we do not cover on the course e.g. Academic Writing with Corpora: A Resource Book for Data-Driven Learning by Tatyana Karpenko-Seccombe (link) that focusses on LexTutor. The tasks might offer you some inspiration, but we will be looking at Sketch Engine and BAWE from next week and focussing on various functions and how they can be used to design our own materials. I hope this helps.

Osanka_R
                  Participant
                      @osanka_r

Hi,

I’d also like to know if there are any textbooks or handbooks available for designing corpus-based lesson materials with sample lessons or activities. Thanks.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                      Keymaster
                          @anastasios

Hello @osanka_r Please see my response to Paula for resources, but you might also look at this book if you can get hold of a copy. Unfortunately, the UoS library does not have it so we weren’t able to provide you with a chapter or two.

Viana, V. (2022) Teaching English with Corpora : A Resource Book. Milton: Taylor & Francis Group.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.