Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

If you have any feedback or comments at the end of the first unit, we’d appreciate them. These can be comments about the content itself or about the site and the ease of use. However, please don’t feel under obligation to add anything here if time doesn’t permit.

Diana Freeman
          Participant
              @deefree

I enjoyed learning how to use FLAX. I like the separation of colligations per key word. The layout of the page in terms of frequency being in rows rather than columns is something I need to pay attention to.

I’m not sure how many conclusions there are to be drawn about use with only 10-12 examples from concordance lines. (Or did I miss a step?)

I was surprised to see a synonym of economical to be ‘scotch’ in the BNC (hmmmm)   ;-)

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Hi @deefree – we are glad to hear you found it useful, but as you might have noticed it does have its limitations. You didn’t miss a step; unfortunately, that’s all you get with FLAX and it doesn’t offer functions such as sorting. We focus on FLAX and WebCorp as a gentle introduction to corpus tools and a springboard to the SketchEngine, hoping to show participants the rationale for a much more advanced corpus tool. But, to come to your point about the number of concordance lines, yes 10-12 might not be sufficient for some research questions e.g. What is the most frequent collocate of the word…? However, they might be enough for students to notice some lexico-grammatical patterns, but only if the lines have been selected very carefully.

Diana Freeman
                  Participant
                      @deefree

Hi @anastasios

Yes, swings and roundabouts… with FLAX you can access a number of different corpora with a single click. To get all the concordances and underlying texts etc. you would have to jump from corpus website to corpus website and that would certainly be more time-consuming and probably unwieldy.

Yong XIAO
                      Participant
                          @egp22yx

This is a very interesting begining for such kind of course. The three corpus tools are applicable both  for class teaching and research.  The following picture is one tial of using of wordcloud.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.