Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Gez Edwards
      Keymaster
          @gez

Now, you had a chance to see Padlet in action on the introductions posterboard. But this is a tool that could easily be repurposed for language learning (a theme that will pop up again and again on this course) and we’d like you to think about that. In this topic discussion, please think about the following questions and add your ideas by clicking ‘reply’ below:

1) Apart from introductions, how else could Padlet be used in the EAP classroom? Think specifically about tasks that would fit into a wider lesson, such as a listening or reading task.

2) Do you think it would be better to use before the lesson (e.g. for homework in preparation for the lesson) or actually during the lesson? Why?

Wiputra Cendana
          Participant
              @wiputra

<p style=”text-align: left;”>1. I think that Paddlet could use to share any image which contains of students brainstorming or visual graphic based on group discussion in EAP class.</p>
              2. I am thinking before the lesson so that in the face to face meeting we can consolidate and articulate more about the word that we write.

Gulcin Cosgun
              Participant
                  @ggcosgun

Apart from introductions, I ask my students to complete a collaborative writing/spoken task using Padlet either during the post-reading/listening or production stage of a lesson or I set the task as homework. I also ask them to post comments to other students’ texts/videos. It is also useful and practical to use when I ask students to brainstorm on a topic during the pre-task stage. So, I use it either during the pre -or post-stage of a lesson. I think a teacher can benefit from the tool in any stage of the lesson considering of the objectives of the lesson.

Sulfikar Sulfikar
                  Participant
                      @upi

1. We can use Padlet for brainstorming during an online lesson. For example: The teacher provide a picture or a graph and then students in group are asked to describe the picture or the graph.
                      2. We can use Padlet before or during the lesson depends on the objective of learning.

Gez Edwards
                      Keymaster
                          @gez

Thanks for sharing your ideas @wiputra @ggcosgun @upi

Brainstorming and collaborative writing/speaking are really good examples. I agree, @ggcosgun – in terms of posting, commenting and replying, a padlet can offer a higher number of possible interactions than you can get going in a traditional (table-based) classroom. It also allows students to focus in on the posts they want to respond to rather than who they happen to bump into / be sitting next to.

Siti Asmiyah
                          Participant
                              @siti-asmiyah

1) Apart from introductions, how else could Padlet be used in the EAP classroom? Think specifically about tasks that would fit into a wider lesson, such as a listening or reading task.

I usually use padlet for brainstorming at the beginning and reflection at the end of the lesson

2) Do you think it would be better to use before the lesson (e.g. for homework in preparation for the lesson) or actually during the lesson? Why?

I think it will be better to use it before and after the lesson but not during the lesson. As it is particularly open for everyone so a more open activities may fit compared to a more focused lesson during the lesson.

Jools Bond
                              Participant
                                  @joolsbond

Thanks very much for introducing me to Padlet and for everyone’s ideas about how to use it.  Very helpful. The students I used it with today (an online Occupational English Test group of nurses) said they really enjoyed using it – we reviewed what they’d learnt in a previous writing class. A big thumbs up that they didn’t have to sign up! For this group, a homework task would be a good way to bring them together virtually to collaborate as not all the students can attend live classes and currently there is no virtual space like Teams where they can interact apart from a WhatsApp group. It’s great to use live as well to change the dynamic and have more interaction between students.

For EAP, you could use it for tasks such paraphrasing and referencing. Also, for listening, for example, with students posting linking phrases they’ve heard in a lecture.

Gez Edwards
                                  Keymaster
                                      @gez

Thanks for your thoughts @siti-asmiyah & @joolsbond. We’re gathering lots of good ideas about using Padlet at different stages for different purposes (brainstorming before a task, reflection and homework afterwards, creating interaction in a collaborative space in a live setting).

I like those EAP examples Jools – students posting lots of possible paraphrases of a sentence for everyone to see, or attempts at a correct reference/citation are perfect. Padlet is great for lots of short texts that you want to compare.

Stephen Cartwright
                                      Participant
                                          @stevec

I think Padlet could be used at any stage of a lesson:

a.  Before a lesson.

– to brainstorm ideas

– to share resources on topics.

b.  During a lesson

–  to collaborate on a task, such as editing a text.

c.  After a lesson

–  to complete a reflective task

–  to do a follow-up activity.

Not everyone is comfortable using technology, and it could put students off in a classroom environment if they can see that others are completing activities with confidence while they struggle. Therefore, I think a teacher needs to find the right balance of what works with the class as a whole.

Gez Edwards
                                            Keymaster
                                                @gez

Yes, allowing students to post anonymously (at least to begin with) is a good way to get less confident students on board, whether that lack of confidence is with the subject matter or with the technology itself.

Ian Coleman
                                              Participant
                                                  @iancoleman81

Bit of catch up here, not sure how I missed this first time round! You can see how I used Padlet in my final assignment. Great resource for student self-reflection, goal setting etc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.