Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Gez Edwards
      Keymaster
          @gez

Ok, now you’ve had a chance to (briefly) experience two tools from the student’s perspective: Socrative and Quizlet. Let’s think about those now from a teaching perspective and what application they might have for our EAP students.

You don’t have to respond necessarily to all the questions – feel free to select 1 or 2 you think are most interesting for you to answer and post your replies below:

So, here goes:

1. Which of the two tools do you think would be most useful to use with your students? Why?
          2. Can you think of a lesson you taught recently where one of these tools could have made the lesson more engaging for the students?
          3. Do any of these tools seem particularly suited for EAP students (rather than just general EFL students)?
          4. Can you see any potential problems/issues with using either of these tools with EAP students?
          Gulcin Cosgun
          Participant
              @ggcosgun

I think both are useful to use with my students. I use Quizlet to create self-study opportunities for my students. With the sets I create, I aim to help my students prepare for exams. The live version allows students to collaborate and compete, but I generally use the space race function of Socrative for that purpose since my students find it more enjoyable. Space race encourages friendly competition among students while giving me the opportunity to check learning. It also allows students to work together on the quiz; so, it’s good for fostering student interaction and collaboration.

Dawid Juraszek
                Participant
                    @dawid

Hi Gulcin, you are absolutely right about the value of friendly competition between students. The key word for me here is “friendly”, because if things get too competitive, students may focus less on learning the contents and more on winning through whatever means necessary. It’s a fine balance to strike sometimes, partly depending on the particular group dynamic.

Ian Coleman
                    Participant
                        @iancoleman81

Totally agree. I work with foundation year art students, so they’re mostly 17/18 – a bit of healthy competition is very useful for motivation with this age group.

Wiputra Cendana
                      Participant
                          @wiputra

Which of the two tools do you think would be most useful to use with your students? Why?

I think Quizlet is the most useful for my students since that we can personalized the question type.

Can you think of a lesson you taught recently where one of these tools could have made the lesson more engaging for the students?

Yes. When I teach Math. I think letting them to experience this will truly beneficial for them. They need to get the digital formative assessment to articulate their math understanding.

Do any of these tools seem particularly suited for EAP students (rather than just general EFL students)?

Yes. Experiencing socrative and Quizlet will give the students time to do before class activity by testing their prior knowledge or after learning as we can give checking for understanding based on the class.

Can you see any potential problems/issues with using either of these tools with EAP students?

Since the students in online mode needs strong internet connection, I think it will be one issue.

Siti Asmiyah
                          Participant
                              @siti-asmiyah

1. Which of the two tools do you think would be most useful to use with your students? Why?

Frankly speaking I haven’t used both of the application. But, having the experience of being a student accessing both apps and after watching the videos, I agree with Gulcin that both are actually useful. Which one would be the most useful, I should agree with Wiputra that Quizlet will be most useful as it allows various activities and assessment. However, I should acknowledge that Socrative also allows for multiple types of questions which allows us as teacher to have HOTS questions.

2. Can you think of a lesson you taught recently where one of these tools could have made the lesson more engaging for the students?

I taught academic writing and ,among others, I might use the flashcard in Quizlet to measure students’ understanding on particular expressions in certain section of journal article. I might  also write to assess student’s ability to use those expressions.

3. Do any of these tools seem particularly suited for EAP students (rather than just general EFL students)?

Yes, I believe that any tool is actually useful, depending on how we design the content and activities. So, both tools I believe will suit both general and EAP students.

4. Can you see any potential problems/issues with using either of these tools with EAP students?

As Wiputra has pointed out, internet connection may become one of the problems. But I will see more on the challenge of designing the content and activities to suit with the EAP purposes and levels of the students’ English proficiency.

Gez Edwards
                              Keymaster
                                  @gez

Thanks for your comments @ggcosgun @wiputra & @siti-asmiyah

Yes, competition can be a really good motivator, can’t it, Gulcin? Adding a (quite gentle) sense of urgency can be a really useful way to change the pace and re-engage learners.

You make a good point about internet connections and these online tools, Wiputra – it’s something we need to keep in mind as we plan our use of these tools

Pre-teaching difficult vocabulary before reading a difficult journal article is a really good use of Quizlet, Siti. That way you can flip the content so that you get to spend more time in class on those higher-order tasks.

Nilsa Pereyra
                                  Participant
                                      @nilsa

I’ve tried using Socrative but I have trouble with my room, I’ve asked for help and I have to wait 24hrs. I’d like to try Space Race with my class, I usually use Kahoot, but I find it somehow “childish.”

Quizlet: I may use Quizlet for asynchronous learning, the Match and Classic Live could be fine to review content. I’ll try them next week.

Most students fail to use passive voice in their papers and the style tends to be informal, so I think using Quizlet or Socrative to ask them to re-write or check right and wrong sentences could be useful. Setting them as independent practice would leave time during lessons to work on something else.

Gez Edwards
                                      Keymaster
                                          @gez

Thanks for sharing your experiences @nilsa

I hope you manage to sort out the problem with your Socrative room. If there’s anything we can do, do let us know. You make a good point about Kahoot feeling a bit young for some groups, although I’ve used it with adult groups who responded really well to it, and younger groups who didn’t. Every group is different and it’s surprising what people respond to (or don’t!).

Sulfikar Sulfikar
                                          Participant
                                              @upi

Instead of me making a quiz, I will ask students in groups to collaborate to make one, using either Socrates or Quizlets. This might force them to read the lesson materials before the class. Each group then have to do another group’s quiz.

Gez Edwards
                                                Keymaster
                                                    @gez

Great idea, @upi ! Getting students to create quizzes themselves ensures they’re engaged with the material and makes the most of the shareability of these online quizzes.

Ian Coleman
                                                  Participant
                                                      @iancoleman81

1. Which of the two tools do you think would be most useful to use with your students? Why?

I’d say Quizlet – my students really need to develop their vocabulary, and this is a simple and effective way of doing it. Could be used for a whole range of thing – synonyms, antonyms, collocations, formality etc. I really like the way the flashcards can be turned into games – great for revision at the end of the week, and useful for self-study too. Great for pre-teaching vocab too.

I tend to use Kahoot quite a bit for revision quizzes, but it’s getting a bit old.  I think Socrative would be useful for dry reading tasks – looks like it could inject a bit of energy and competition into this.

Getting students to generate their own quiz questions would add to classes focused on e.g. researching a topic – Socrative could help increase engagement.

4. Can you see any potential problems/issues with using either of these tools with EAP students?

My students are generally pretty good with technology, so I can’t see any technical issues. Setting tasks at the right level of challenge is one issue – totally agree with Siti on this point.

Dwi Wulandari
                                                      Participant
                                                          @dwi

I like Upi’s idea.. thanks Upi. I am going to assign my students that once we have classes. I have no class to teach, well not until the next two weeks. I agree though that using it for technical vocabulary checks up will be the one that is going to be very useful

Gez Edwards
                                                          Keymaster
                                                              @gez

Thanks for your thoughts @iancoleman81& @dwi

You make a good point about Kahoot getting old, Ian. It’s important to remember that none of these tools is a silver bullet and variation is key, as always. Let us know if you get to try these out on a live class, Dwi!

Stephen Cartwright
                                                              Participant
                                                                  @stevec

Apologies for joining the party late. I aim to catch up this week by completing unit 2 and unit 3, then starting unit 4.

My students study on a military base and have no access to their mobile phones or computers until the weekend, and even then they are extremely unlikely to do anything study-related. However, I also teach private students occasionally and am planning on returning to the UK some time during the next few years so can envisage using both of these tools. I like the look of Padlet as it’s seems more familiar. I can imagine it being done as a board activity pre-internet, where students respond on the Whiteboard to their respective tasks. Unfortunately, the link to the Socrates quiz just took me to the log-in / sign-up page so I missed out on seeing it in action.

I can see the potential of using Padlet at any stage of a lesson. During the introduction of a topic to get students to brainstorm what they know – to ‘activate their schemata’. During a reading/listening activity, for students to share their answers to questions. In a post-writing activity, students could be asked to peer correct an anonymous piece of writing, or at least marked sections of it.

I think the main difference between EAP and general EFL students is that EAP students need to learn how to navigate around fairly long academic texts, and write academic assignments using appropriate referencing. This often involves a lot of reading and of course complying with academic referencing formats. Not all EFL students, on the other hand, have a need to read long texts or write in prescribed formats.

The students would need access to online tools, and in my institution there would be no guarantee that they would stay on task.  Given an iPad or a laptop, many of the students would probably play games on it, use it to communicate with their friends, or watch videos unrelated to the lesson activity. In my previous teaching contexts though, I wouldn’t foresee many issues other than connectivity problems, or a limited budget to procure iPads or computers. Students could use their phones for such tasks, of course, but not all students might be able to afford a smart phone.

Gez Edwards
                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                        @gez

Hi @stevec – Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like it might be a challenge to try out a lot of these tools in your current situation, what with the lack of devices. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to practise with your private students.

With Socrative, the instructions for joining are in the picture “carousel” on this page – https://trainingfoundry.co.uk/topic/using-socrative-to-check-understanding/ – you can click the little white arrow on the right, within the image to go through the instructions (log in as a student and enter the “LTINEAP” room).

You mention three very pertinent potential issues: cost, connectivity and distraction. As teachers, there’s often very little we can do about the first two, but need to factor them in in terms of equality and having a plan B. In terms of distraction, setting up a task clearly is even more important in making sure that the engagement provided by the devices is channelled to the task.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.