Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Bashar
      Keymaster
          @bashar

We asked you to try out ONE of the two tools we’ve looked at in the module (or with colleagues/kids if you were not teaching) and to make some notes on the following areas:

• Which tool did you decide to use? Why? What did you do with the students?
          • Do you think the task or activity was in some way enhanced by the use of technology? If we think about it in terms of SAMR, was the activity an example of Substitution? Augmentation? Modification? Redefinition? 

Please add your ideas to this topic by replying below and sharing your experiences. Also, please remember to come back later in the week and respond to any comments that other people have made, either about their own lessons or about yours.

Gulcin Cosgun
          Participant
              @ggcosgun

I used Socrative in my class. In order to revise the vocabulary items of the week, I created a quiz. I asked the students to work in pairs to answer the questions. Students had fun while watching their spaceship move toward the finish line. As a teacher, I had the opportunity to monitor my students’ learning through the report that showed the correct and incorrect responses. I think the activity was an example of augmentation because rather than giving handouts to students, I used Socrative, which made the task more efficient and engaging. Online quiz substituted the handout with some functional improvement.

Wiputra Cendana
              Participant
                  @wiputra

Which tool did you decide to use? Why? What did you do with the students?

Socrative technique could bring the students to think deeper based on the content that we teach. I will give the input by delivering to them and let them articulate their understanding by using socrative one.

Do you think the task or activity was in some way enhanced by the use of technology? If we think about it in terms of SAMR, was the activity an example of Substitution? Augmentation? Modification? Redefinition?

This semester, I am asking the students in Multimedia class to create e-poster, animation presentation and interactive power point (include the learning video). All of these activities will make them integrate the technology advancement.

Substitution: Read To kill a Mocking Bird Texts Online

Augmentation: To support the reading exposure let them experience to open online study guides, dictionary, and reading supplementary.

Modification: In a group setting, the students will articulate their knowledge construction and understanding of some particular characters by using multimedia resources (text, audio, video apps)

Redefinition: Answering the question: “What qualities make Atticus a good father?” They can use concept mapping tools or mind map tools in embedding and absorbing more their understanding. They may jot down their ideas thought as well.

Siti Asmiyah
                  Participant
                      @siti-asmiyah

Which tool did you decide to use? Why? What did you do with the students?

I tried to create activities for both Quizlet and Socrative but then decided to use Quizlet. This is because the features in my Socrative is different from the one in the guide. I do not have Quiz in the home page next to Launch, instead I have Library. When I created a quiz and follow the instruction, I do not have the icon of start, but launch and it directly generate me to the results of the quiz. I will retry it late.

I then used Quizlet. I tried the flashcard first. I shared the link to my colleagues as currently it is semester break.

Do you think the task or activity was in some way enhanced by the use of technology? If we think about it in terms of SAMR? Was the activity an example of Substitution, Augmentation, Modification or Redefinition?

At the time being I think it is still the substitution. I will keep trying using various features of both platforms. I will reread the guide more keenly and go again from the beginning step by step.

Gez Edwards
                      Keymaster
                          @gez

Thanks for your comments @ggcosgun @wiputra & @siti-asmiyah

Gulcin – yes, the detailed, instant feedback that you get from Socrative is very powerful isn’t it? The fact that is frees you up from the mechanics of running the quiz yourself allows you to concentrate more on what the students are producing.

Wiputra – I’m wondering about the “redefinition” stage you describe. Is there any sharing/interaction included at that stage?

Siti – Ah yes, they’ve changed the name from “Quizzes” to “Library”, but you’re in the right place. Do let us know if you have any problems with it :good:

Dawid Juraszek
                          Participant
                              @dawid

I briefly discussed these with my colleague (I’m still on a winter break, so no opportunities to try things out in class). We’re wondering about how best to introduce students to a new online tool, and whether the SAMR model could offer a kind of structure for making this process easier. For instance, the first time students are invited to use Quizlet or Socrative, the initial task/activity could be a simple substitution or a modest augmentation of a task/activity they are already familiar with from the physical classroom, and the subsequent ones could be further along in terms of modification and redefinition. This should help students ease themselves into the new online environment.

Ian Coleman
                                Participant
                                    @iancoleman81

Sounds like a useful way of introducing students to new technology, especially if they’re not very tech-savvy…

Ian Coleman
                                  Participant
                                      @iancoleman81

I chose Quizlet. I wanted to experiment with it because I think it’s perfectly suited to my students’ needs in a number of areas. For example, they often struggle to keep clear notes, with revision and keeping up to date with what we’ve learnt. Vocabulary acquisition is a really important goal for them too. Quizlet seems like a good tool for all of these things.

I created a Quizlet live to revise some vocabulary we had learnt. What would typically be a fairly dry matching activity, or a pelmanism, became much more dynamic and collaborative, and students were really engaged. It was a pretty low-prep activity too, which I really like.

I’d say the activity was more than a direct substitution, as the elements of competition and collaboration were added by using Quizlet. Participation was definitely enhanced by the addition of this technology. I don’t think the activity radically transformed my lesson or the aims I’d set when planning, it just made it more likely that the students would achieve the aim of consolidating the vocabulary we had learnt previously. So I wouldn’t say the activity was an example of modification or redefinition – just a more efficient and more collaborative way of achieving the same aim. Definitely something I need to explore further though…

Gez Edwards
                                      Keymaster
                                          @gez

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @dawid & @iancoleman81

Dawid – I really like the suggestion of using SAMR to pace the development of lessons in terms of using learning technologies to ease students in. The good news is that in my experience, students generally respond well to these new tools, and prefer lessons which are augmented/modified etc. With some groups, there might need to be some bargaining involved – showing them the contrast between a straight, “from-the-book” lesson and an augmented lesson, but that the latter is dependent upon them.

Ian – The nice example you describe there is certainly at least augmentation. In your further explorations perhaps you could add more interactivity and collaboration by getting students to create their own sets and share with other groups for them to do (in class or later) – that might nudge it into Modification.

Ian Coleman
                                            Participant
                                                @iancoleman81

Thanks for the feedback, Gez!

Nilsa Pereyra
                                              Participant
                                                  @nilsa

Hi,

I’ve used Socrative and Quizlet.  First one with friends, the second with students.

I’ve thought quizlet would be an engaging way to review concepts, but my students found it a bit “childish,” but they like it. They prefer this to pen&paper, I agree with Gulcin, it is more engaging – and I’d say challenging if you set a time limit. As Independent Practice I’ve asked them to develop one themselves to review other topics from our lesson. They’ll work in groups and then we’ll have a contest :-)

Siti, Socrative features in my computer are the same as yours. I’ve developed two activities there. My problems: I haven’t been able to delete the only Room I have (yet) and I can’t share videos in the questions. A link to a website can be added but I wanted to share an edited video to no avail. I used a podcast, though I can’t edit that one :-(   so it’s a bit tricky to ask them to lsitent up to a certain time if the recording is long.

I like the reports from both websites, it saves time and shows how they work individually. I also find it useful to ask them to develop quizes, it’s a fun way to make them read their notes and then play against each other. As they are young adults, digital natives, they prefer technology to work and study.

Gez Edwards
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        @gez

Hi @nilsa – Great, getting students to create and share their own Quizlet sets is when it gets really powerful, as they’re really focused on their own learning and challenging each other.

Under the free version of Socrative, you’ll only have one room, so you need to start and stop the activities in that room as you can’t run more than one at once. Unfortunately, adding audio and video isn’t possible on Socrative yet (though they are considering it). As an alternative, you could use Kahoot! which supports both.

siqun xu
                                                      Participant
                                                          @xusiqun

I will choose to use Quizlet in my class to help my students to enhance their vocabulary.

Traditionally students use printed books to read articles to recite new words or use vocab book to remember words according to the alphabetical order.  Those ways are quite less effective compared with quizlet, which has multi-functions to test students.

Gez Edwards
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                @gez

Thanks for sharing your experience, @xusiqun – hopefully the SAMR structure will be useful to judge what function the tool is having in the class.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.