Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick Murgatroyd
      Keymaster
          @nick

OK, so now you’ve had plenty of time to look at your VLE and to think about how you might use it with your students, we’d like you to share some ideas on how you’re going to change the way you use it. Don’t worry, we’re not asking you to detail a complete overhaul of your VLE. What we’d like you to do instead is give us two or three concrete ideas for how you might use your VLE differently in the coming months. Please don’t just say the names of the tools you plan to use, but tell us how you plan to use them, e.g. if you’re going to use a discussion forum, how are you going to use it? What will students be posting on it?

Hopefully, by sharing your ideas and then coming back to the forum, you’ll get plenty of ideas for new ways in which to use what is probably the oldest tech tool at your university.

Wiputra Cendana
          Participant
              @wiputra

Two or three concrete ideas for how you might use your VLE differently in the coming months. Please don’t just say the names of the tools you plan to use, but tell us how you plan to use them, e.g. if you’re going to use a discussion forum, how are you going to use it? What will students be posting on it?

I will use VLE for blended learning in moodle

– Before class: The students will be able to post their thinking in padlet and flipgrid.

– During class: A time to discuss and collaborate of sharpening thought about some topics that we will discuss especially about content or project based learning. We can get any polls and jamboard to drop any popped up thought. Since the students are also in the other remote place for internship, I will record the onsite meeting or offer them to join in hybrid ways.

– After class: I will activate socrative or quiz in order to get the students familiar with any concept that is being shared in the classroom. In executing some task individually or in group, I will let them write any particular progress in the given forum at moodle. They may also put any mind map also.

Gulcin Cosgun
              Participant
                  @ggcosgun

I will use VLE for a lesson that I will plan with a flipped learning approach. I will set a forum discussion task on LMS about the content of the article to activate learners’ schemata asynchronously. I will also assign a pre-task for students to identify the main and supporting ideas in the text. I will ask students to fill in a summary chart or prepare a mind map and upload their task on LMS before they come to the synchronous session. During the session that I will conduct on zoom, I will check the comprehension through a set of comprehension questions and CCQs. After the session, I will ask my students to write a summary of the text they have read on Padlet with their group members.

Gez Edwards
                  Keymaster
                      @gez

Thanks @wiputra and @ggcosgun for sharing your plans.

I like the idea of having the jamboard and poll that you create together in class embedded in your VLE, Wiputra – that means students can easily revisit the ideas from the class at any point in the course. And that’s a really nice example of flipping the class, Gulcin, getting students to get familiar with the text before you come together, and having them share their summaries in the VLE beforehand will allow any struggling students to get up to speed.

Nilsa Pereyra
                      Participant
                          @nilsa

Hello, good ideas Gulci & Wiputra. Let us know how they work, pls.

Reading your ideas I’ve realised that I’ve been doing quite a few things for a couple of years with some online students.

When we deal with the topic of Active Listening, 1st I ask them what they know about that. 2nd – they listen to the sounds & speech recorded by me from a video. This is uploaded for them to listen to it as many times as they need. 3rd- they write what they imagined was happening. 4th. they read a couple of articles about Active Listening. 5th- they watch the video. 6th- we discuss opinion and expereinces on our online session.  -NEW idea: use Padlet for their comments, so they can share ideas before our online session.

My plan now is to be brave enough to make a video myself and share it with my students.

Next step is develop an activity on Kahoot or Socrative with them. I’ve asked them to do it but they haven’t. I think that developing a simple task online they ccan review relevant material without noticing.

Gez Edwards
                            Keymaster
                                @gez

Thanks for your comments, @nilsa. Flipping the classroom with the comments Padlet, the video and the Kahoot/Socrative are really good ways to enhance your use of your VLE. Great that you’re getting more confident using these tools – this is one of the main things we want people to get from the course, so that’s really good to hear.

Siti Asmiyah
                              Participant
                                  @siti-asmiyah

My classes will start the first week of March. I will be teaching Academic Article Writing and Research Proposal classes.

Before the class I will post the lesson plan for the whole semester and have the lists of topics for each meeting. Sinau, the name of our VLE, enables us to pre-schedule the meeting journals. We can have a time table of the calendar, the topic, the mode of meeting (online or on site), the hour, the material and the lecturer(s) (if we have a team teaching). For each of the meeting I will have a pre-class material which students need to read/listen/watch and some questions they need to think of related to the pre-class material.

During the class I will provide opportunities for discussion, more exploration and hands on activities. As both classes I am going to teach are more individualized and practical in nature, hands on activities as a follow up of the pre-class material and activities are particularly important to assist students achieve the learning objectives. Students will then upload their work on the assignment feature provided in Sinau. I will also be able to read their submission and score through the system.

After the class I will use the forum in which students can post questions, have discussion and share their experience and reflections related to the materials and activities in class. I will also have sort of formative test in some of the meetings. I will also use external platform such as padlets or quizzes.

When the semester concludes, the students will also be required to fill out survey related to the course before they can access their final score.

Gez Edwards
                                    Keymaster
                                        @gez

Thanks for sharing your plans, Siti.

“I will have a pre-class material which students need to read/listen/watch and some questions they need to think of related to the pre-class material.”

I wonder if you might be able to use some of the video tools we looked at, embedded in your VLE to do this stage…

Sulfikar Sulfikar
                                      Participant
                                          @upi

I  am planning to do flipped learning. I will use videos on cases that are related to the application of the coming topic of my lecture. I will give hints in the video, by using VideoAnt, which students should pay more attention to. In the class, students in groups can discuss the content of the video and how the materials learned that day can be used to solve problems related to the content of the video. Another task that they can do online is to create lists of learning skills that they should achieve (they can post their answers using Padlet) after the learning sessions or create questions and answers related to the material. Perhaps, if time permits, they can have competitions between groups to answer the questions from other groups. This competition can be done through the Socrates App. The class might become too noisy though.

Gez Edwards
                                            Keymaster
                                                @gez

This sounds like a really nice class @upi – I especially like the last section where the students answer each other’s questions. It sounds like it might be the right kind of noise :-)

Dawid Juraszek
                                              Participant
                                                  @dawid

[My apologies for coming in late: I’ve been relocating and setting up for the new semester.]

I think there’s a Blackboard-based VLE at my university, but I don’t know anyone who’s ever used it. In a recent conversation with a colleague I found out he’s setting up his own website to manage students’ assigments. Early on in the pandemic there was a talk of using the VLE across the university (that’s how I know it even exists) but in the end everyone chose their own apps and other online tools to teach remotely.

Assuming such a platform indeed exists at my uni, I can see myself using it for a pre-class forum discussion where students could share their takes on the upcoming topic. Post-class, students could use it to upload their assignments (whether individual or group-based) for a follow-up activity, such as annotating one another’s work.

Gez Edwards
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        @gez

Oh wow, Dawid, I think that’s quite unusual to have that much independence. Most places are very keen to have their staff use the central VLE if they’ve paid out for it, so you’re very fortunate to have so much freedom. That said, it can be very useful to have it as a “base” – a central point that students know they can begin, and then build outwards with embedded media and links, as well as the built-in tools like forums etc.

Stephen Cartwright
                                                      Participant
                                                          @stevec

We have a Blackboard VLE that has to be used by all academic faculty. We share course materials with students, homework assignments, and we share students’ grades with them. The dilemma we face though is kind of like ‘chicken and egg in that students don’t use it much so lecturers don’t spend much time developing their content. Or is it that lecturers don’t spend much time developing content so students don’t use it much?
                                                          So, when we get full access to it I’m going to start sharing interesting tasks with my students which I’ve learned about on this course, such as those on Ted.Ed.

Gez Edwards
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                @gez

I can sympathise with the chicken and egg dilemma a lot, Steve – we’re also a Blackboard institution and have the same issue. Thankfully, there is definitely a tipping point where there is enough engaging content to make it “the place to go” as a starting off point, rather than a glorified filing cabinet to visit occasionally when you need a document.

Ian Coleman
                                                              Participant
                                                                  @iancoleman81

Another bit of catch up! We use Canvas for lesson tasks and end of unit tests. It’s not my favourite thing in the world as it’s a bit cumbersome. However, over the easter break I set a few optional assignments and tasks for students to complete at their own pace, which seem to have gone down well. I plan to use it more often for tasks like this that encourage learner autonomy.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.