Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios

If you have any feedback or comments at the end of the fourth unit, we’d appreciate them. These can be comments about the content itself or about the site and the ease of use. However, please don’t feel under obligation to add anything here if time doesn’t permit.

Diana Freeman
        Participant
          @deefree

I seem to be struggling with Word Sketch Difference…I have clearly misunderstood something

1. Cause / affect:

problem (object of cause) has a frequency of 144 but a zero typicality score

business (object of affect) has zero frequency (in which case why is it there?) and a typicality score of 24

2. Problem / issue:

looking at the modifier column fundamental is the first word on the list (freq 41, typicality 6).

if I click for more, fundamental moves from a collocate of problem to the grey list for both problem and issue.

I also don’t understand the order of words that appear. They don’t seem to be in order of frequency, or typicality (or alphabetical).

Looking at the answers, am I right in deducing that if the frequency score is higher than the typicality score then the collocation is stronger with the first word (problem) and when the typicality score is higher than the frequency score then the strength of collocation is with the second word (issue)?

Thanks for any guidance (sorry)

Diana Freeman
          Participant
            @deefree

OK, so the two numbers are frequency of word 1 and frequency of word 2 – that may address my problem…

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
            Keymaster
              @anastasios

Hi @deefree it seems that you have found the answer ;) Yes, by default you see the frequency for both words. If you change the view options and turn on typicality too.

Regarding your second question, I’ve added a screenshot for you to see what it looks like. By the way, I put problem as my first lemma and cause as the second lemma in the search box (the order matters since SE assigns different colours and presents the results differently).

– If you start from the top and read downwards, you will see the collocates of problem from most typical to least typical i.e. solve (11.8), pose (10.0), cause (10.0), etc.

-When you reach the grey area (middle), you read it the same way but you focus on comparing the typicality scores if you are interested in which collocate is more typical/frequent out of the pair e.g. address is more typical and frequent for problem than it is for cause.

– And finally, when you reach the red area (bottom), you start from the bottom and read it upwards. You will see the collocates of cause from most typical to least typical i.e. advance (8.2), fight (8.0), confirm (7.9), etc.

I hope this helps. If not, happy to record a short video demo tomorrow.

Diana Freeman
              Participant
                @deefree

Thanks @anastasios. Yes I worked out that for the red area I need to start from the bottom and work upwards (although it took a while before that penny dropped).

How do I switch on the typicality score?

Regards

Diana

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                  Keymaster
                    @anastasios

No problem @deefree happy to answer any questions. It’s the same for Word Sketch, the eye button top right of your screen. It says Change view options when you hover your mouse over it.

Diana Freeman
                  Participant
                    @deefree

thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.