Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

If you have any feedback or comments at the end of the fourth unit, we’d appreciate them. These can be comments about the content itself or about the site and the ease of use. However, please don’t feel under obligation to add anything here if time doesn’t permit.

Paula Acejo Cantero
          Participant
              @powla

Hello!

Just to say that I have loved this functionality of word difference, I think it can be really useful to tell similar words apart and understand better how words are used in real context, this adds practicality where dictionaries might fall short because of being too generic or not proposing enough examples in use.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm with us @powla Word Sketch Difference is a very unique function. There are other corpus tools that allow a comparison of two or more words in terms of the collocates e.g. CollGraph by #LancsBox, which is a great way to examine the aboutness of a particular topic or discourse.

Siti Asmiyah
                  Participant
                      @siti-asmiyah

Similar to Cantero, I also love the word sketch difference. This will surely enable me and my students on how to correctly use the word and the collocation. My question on the words that apply for both…if we are to select 3-4 words that apply for both…what consideration should we take? Is it similarity/closeness of the frequency or can we just take any from the list in the grey color?

Prisila Mlingi
                      Participant
                          @prisila

This is one of my favourite units! :yahoo:

I guess watching  and following  the lessons and also working on the tasks that the students in the video were working on helped me to understand more how to use word sketch difference.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                          Keymaster
                              @anastasios

We are glad to hear you liked this tool @siti-asmiyah As for your question, it is entirely up to you and the needs of your students. You can base it entirely on the typicality score or the frequency score, or neither. It’s always good to consider what students already know. I usually ask them to focus on the ones they find surprising, interesting, useful and examine the concordances lines.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.