Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bashar
      Keymaster
          @bashar

We’ll leave this discussion more open as we’re getting near the end of the course and you may want a little more freedom to talk about what you want, but some possible questions to answer are:

• Are there any mobile apps that you think (might) work well in an EAP context?
          • Are there any ideas suggested in the unit so far that you might like to try out with your EAP students?
          • If you are teaching online, how can mobile devices support your teaching and your students’ learning?
          James Hanlon
          Participant
              @jameshanlon

When I did my masters, I found it frustrating that my classmates would often spend entire lectures on phones. In seminars, it was less common, but still happened and was rude above all. Phones are distracting, there’s no doubt, but they are also so useful. I can understand why some teachers would ban them. They are great (and necessary) for Kahoot. Even messaging apps like Wechat are useful to use in class, ss can send each other documents they’ve lost and the teacher could use a group chat to communicate with all ss while in BO rooms if using a platform that doesn’t allow it (although teachers being in group chats is, for some dubious reason imo, discouraged from a welfare perspective).

Catherine Lewis
              Participant
                  @catherine21

Mobile phones are a tool that the majority of students have and can use so they can be very useful as a tool for learning. If a students does not have  a mobile phone, then they can always work with another student. If lectures were more engaging and student focused then students would be less likely to be looking at their mobile phones.  Also, it is not only students who are addicted to phones but teachers also often look at their phones when teaching. I have only really encouraged them to be used as dictionaries and for research purposes.

I would be interested to know about any mobile apps (apart from Kahoot) that might work well in an EAP setting.  I have come across the ELSA app which helps with pronunciation.  The drawback is it is not free and it would seem better suited to self study. There is also the Cambridge IELTS app (and many more) that can be helpful for students.

I find that when teaching online, students often use their phones to join the session. This may be because the link doesn’t work on their laptop or they may be out and about. Students seem to think that with an online course they do not need to be in a room on their own. Background noise can be very distracting and it can prevent them from participating in breakout room activities. But I suppose as a last resort it is better to join the session by whatever means possible.

Jamie Sullivan
                  Participant
                      @jamie

Are there any mobile apps that you think (might) work well in an EAP context?
                      There are a number of apps that I think might work well in an EAP context. In my experience students have reported suing the Microsoft Lens app to record their lectures. It is particularly useful as it allows images of the whiteboard/screen to be converted into pdf format to refer to later. I have utilised the Kahoot! App for consolidation activities at the end of lessons. Another useful app is Canva that provides templates for academic posters which could allow EAP students to prepare presentations.

Are there any ideas suggested in the unit so far that you might like to try out with your EAP students?
                      I would like to try some of the practical applications of using mobile phones in the classroom. In particular perhaps the notes function for quick note taking and the voice memo function for feedback, notes etc. I would also be interested in utilising apps such as Anki that facilitate the creation of flashcards.

If you are teaching online, how can mobile devices support your teaching and your students’ learning?
                      An obvious way in which mobile devices could support teaching and learning in an online context regards asynchronous activities. Perhaps asking students to use Anki to create flashcards to revise key terms. Directing students to useful podcasts, audiobooks or perhaps using a phone to blog might be useful.

Jamie

Vasiliki Zinonos
                      Participant
                          @vasiliki
                          • There are various apps that can work well in EAP. Mentimeter is one app. You can create interactive presentations, add questions, polls, quizzes, slides, images, gifs etc. Then you can engage the audience by using their smartphones to connect to the presentation where they can answer questions. It is interactive and students can actively participate in the learning process. The downside to it is that only some features are free and you need to pay in order to upgrade to the Basic and Pro packages available.

• We have used the stopwatch in class to time seminars and presentations. We have also used the camera to take screenshots of specific vocab/grammar input, answers to questions and homework. I would like to try out the voice memo feature on MS Word on mobile phones (provided that students have that installed on their phones), as it allows for inserting voice comments on a word doc. Students could use this to take instant notes without typing them and share the doc later on with their classmates.

• As mentioned above making use of the practical applications of using mobile phones in the classroom, is a good way to support teaching and student’s learning, but also through the various apps available that can be used in an educational context.
                          Lucy Chaplin
                          Participant
                              @lucy-chaplin

I feel that learning how to use phones in class to your advantage is making the most out of a bad situation because I feel there is very little they can do on their phones that they cannot do on their laptops (which they MUST BRING TO CLASS in my institution). However, I have gone through a couple of situations in which phones worked to my advantage:

1. The wi-fi was down one afternoon after really strong winds. If students had not had their phones with them and were not skilful enough, the whole two hour lesson would have been “impossible” to deliver. In this case, phones were a God send!

2. Encouraging them to have their own whatsapp/wechat group has made a difference to the amount of emails I receive asking me something that has already been said in class or getting a student up to speed on the class they have missed. If they have that channel, they would much rather talk to each other than to me, so it encourages peer leaning and collaboration.

The thing I have taken away from this unit is using the calendar for them to keep track of important dates. It drives me crazy to have to repeat deadlines when they have it in their material, so in future I will ask them to do that in class on the first day!

11007807@qq.com
                              Participant
                                  @11007807qq-com

Are there any mobile apps that you think (might) work well in an EAP context?

Definiely there are numerous mobile apps working well in an EAP context such                as  RainClassroom App, UMoocs.
                                         Are there any ideas suggested in the unit so far that you might like to          try out with your EAP students?

Yes, I will ultilize mobile phones more in my teaching to have a more active atmoresphere in the classroom.
                                  If you are teaching online, how can mobile devices support your teaching and your students’ learning?

Mobile devices definitly will offer learning support and teaching support dramatically in online teaching.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.