Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick Murgatroyd
      Keymaster
          @nick

Feel free to tell us whatever you want, but you can use the questions below to help guide your reflection:

• How effective was your use of mobile phones with the students? Did they engage with it? Find it interesting?
          • How confident did you feel setting up the task with the students? Did you experience any difficulties?
          • Do you think that using mobiles added anything to the students’ learning and engagement with the lesson?
          Wiputra Cendana
          Participant
              @wiputra

1. Yes, it is truly effective since the students experienced online learning and now comes into the blended learning. They engaged with it. It was interesting for them as well.

2. I confident to design the task in Moodle as the LMS system. No, I guess for the difficulties.

3. Yes, it could give gamification experience so they may engage more on the learning processes.

Ian Coleman
              Participant
                  @iancoleman81

How effective was your use of mobile phones with the students? Did they engage with it? Find it interesting?

I tried the “photos for speculation” activity with my IELTS class, as part of their current unit on crime. As art students, they found it very engaging, and it definitely made the target language more immediate and engaging (not to mention that I was able to elicit it from them rather than from a text, which is great. It was close to a “dogme moment” in many ways).

How confident did you feel setting up the task with the students? Did you experience any difficulties?

No problems at all – they were very quick to start and understand the point of the task.

Do you think that using mobiles added anything to the students’ learning and engagement with the lesson?

The use of mobiles immediately personalised the task and the language point, and the competitive element made it fun and engaging. I think the students appreciated the opportunity to use their phones in a meaningful way.

Gez Edwards
                  Keymaster
                      @gez

Thanks for sharing your experiences @wiputra and @iancoleman81. A genuine “dogme moment”, Ian – fantastic! We can’t ask for more than that – taking our everyday use of these devices and blending it with classroom experiences in a natural, seamless way.

Dawid Juraszek
                      Participant
                          @dawid

I loved some of the ideas here (number dictation with smartphone calculators is borderline genius). I consider myself quite well-versed in utilising the opportunities offered by smartphones in my classes, but this was eye-opening. Thanks!

Dwi Wulandari
                          Participant
                              @dwi

I asked my students to do a lecture summary last week, and it came up great. Knowing that they must submit the summary, my students diligently took notes and prepared their summaries. Sending out voice notes served as a new experience in speaking and making it related to the lesson they have learned from the lecture.

Gez Edwards
                              Keymaster
                                  @gez

Thanks @dawid and @dwi! Glad you’re finding lots of fun uses with calculators and voice notes :yes:

Sulfikar Sulfikar
                                  Participant
                                      @upi

I plan to use the phone camera as a spectrometer for an experiment in the Instruments for Analytical Chemistry subject. However, this experiment will be on the first week of April. I will ask the students to use their phone cameras as the light detector. A light picker app will be needed. By pointing the camera to a series of solutions with increasing concentrations, the app can determine the RGB values of each solution. The students can correlate the concentrations of the solutions to the RGB value and create a standard calibration curve. Based on this curve, students can measure a solution with unknown concentration and determine the concentration. They can compare their results with the commercial spectrophotometer. Hopefully, they can have a more thorough understanding of how a spectrophotometer works.

Gez Edwards
                                        Keymaster
                                            @gez

Wow – that’s a new one on me, @upi!  That’s a really interesting (and very specific) example. Thanks for letting us know!

Siti Asmiyah
                                          Participant
                                              @siti-asmiyah

How effective was your use of mobile phones with the students? Did they engage with it? Find it interesting?

It was very effective. Students find it easy and engaging as they can work collaboratively more easily. They also find it interesting when for example a simple QR code can bring them to various materials and activities.

How confident did you feel setting up the task with the students? Did you experience any difficulties?

I was very confident with the task. I am not a typical of very technologically literate person but am always eager to ask. I also sometimes ask students if they know any apps that we can work on task more easily.

So far there is not any serious difficulty other than internet connection. As long as the connection is stable everything runs well.

Do you think that using mobiles added anything to the students’ learning and engagement with the lesson?

Yes, indeed. There are things that we can do more easily and more engaging through mobile apps.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.