Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bashar
        @bashar

OK, now you’ve hopefully had the chance to use these tools with students, we’d love to hear how it went (or how you think it’d go if you don’t have students at the moment). Based on what happened, can you briefly:

• Describe what you and the students did in the lesson.
        • Say how engaging (or not!) the students found the tasks.
        • Reflect on whether this will change your approach to reading/vocabulary development in your lessons.

And of course, once you’ve done that, please come back to read other teachers’ posts and to add any comments you might have.

Jamie Sullivan
        Participant
          @jamie

• Describe what you and the students did in the lesson.
          As I work with students in a 1:1 context, I decided to ask one of my students to try use the Oxford text checker to analyse her draft assignment. Students would typically ask me to look over their draft assignments. We analyse their writing n terms of sentence structure, paragraph integrity, tone, clarity, style, and formatting. I like to read their work aloud so that they can become more adept at hearing their own errors and ensure they are answering the question asked. In this regard, I think using corpus tools can help students analyse their own writing and inform them moving forward.
          • Say how engaging (or not!) the students found the tasks
          I think my student found it useful, as it is quite visually striking to see one’s own writing output analysed so thoroughly, and she commented that it was “weird but definitely good to see”. We didn’t discuss the results for too long due to time constraints and she wished to focus on her draft structure rather than sentence structure/vocab this week, but I think the biggest outcome of using the Oxford text checker was to give the student an insight into her writing and how collocations/high frequency words can be incorporated/utilised in her writing.
          • Reflect on whether this will change your approach to reading/vocabulary development in your lessons.
          I think it will definitely be something I will try to incorporate into my lessons going forward as it helps to highlight collocations and high frequency terms in student’s disciplines which is a key aspect to inform their own writing. Using a corpus tool such as the Oxford text checker could also be useful to generate key word lists or to create gap fill exercises.

Jamie

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.