Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Gez Edwards
      Keymaster
          @gez

OK, we’re keen to hear what you have to say about these text tools. You ran a text through various text tools (webcorp, Oxford text checker, Flax) and got out some data:

• Did any of the statistical/linguistic information you learnt about the text surprise you?
          • Do you think doing a similar activity with your students would be helpful/useful to them? Why/why not?

Wiputra Cendana
          Participant
              @wiputra

Did any of the statistical/linguistic information you learnt about the text surprise you? Yes, it was. I think now I understand why the reading literacy was low.
              Do you think doing a similar activity with your students would be helpful/useful to them? Why/why not? It would be helpful since the English as the second language for them. Thank you for these.

Gulcin Cosgun
              Participant
                  @ggcosgun

Did any of the statistical/linguistic information you learnt about the text surprise you?

When I changed the dropdown box to ‘Oxford 3000’ on Oxford text checker, I realized that there were no C1 level words. That was surprising to me.

Do you think doing a similar activity with your students would be helpful/useful to them? Why/why not?

Yes, it might be useful because they will be more aware of useful words to learn in English. When they see that the words that are used most of the time, they will spend more time on studying them.

Gez Edwards
                  Keymaster
                      @gez

Thanks for your comments, @wiputra and @ggcosgun. As you both allude to, corpus tools can be really useful to identify gaps between what we think the common words are and how much they are actually used – such useful information for our students.

Dawid Juraszek
                      Participant
                          @dawid

It’s not immediately obvious to me how I could make these tools useful to my students. Of course certain individual students with interest in linguistics per se might find it useful even without my instruction, but for the average student I believe these would be unwieldy tools with no immediate relevance. For collocations, I usually recommend freecollocation.com: its dictionary-like interface makes intuitive sense and provides ready-made examples and structures.

Gez Edwards
                            Keymaster
                                @gez

It’s a fair point, @Dawid. They are more useful with higher-level students, certainly. I think that there is something to be gained at most levels by analysing a text for common vocabulary and collocations – it can sometimes be quite comforting to students to see that texts are made up of a much smaller pool of language than they might expect.

Nilsa Pereyra
                              Participant
                                  @nilsa

I was surprised to see that corpora was the most frequente word in the sample text and how it was used. I like how the collocations are presented in Flax, very visually appealing. Great to use with students.

I find it useful for most students, not real beginners but when they can express themselves in the second/third language it is another way to learn and reinforce vocabulary. It may be more useful for intermediate and advanced students but false beginners may benefit from learning to associate vocab and learn syntax.

After a marking and giving feedback on a test, I’ve developed an activity based on collocations and meaniong inference to help my students differentiate the words they have confused in the test. Then we work with collocations with  those ones &/or similar ones and most of my students enjoy the activity and find it useful, others consider it too demanding. I think I’ll use the tools you’ve shared to work with them as well.

Gez Edwards
                                    Keymaster
                                        @gez

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @nilsa – using these corpus tools to generate alternative collocations for discussing inference is a great idea :good:

Siti Asmiyah
                                      Participant
                                          @siti-asmiyah

Did any of the statistical/linguistic information you learnt about the text surprise you?

I learnt corpus linguistics previously in corpus course for teacher offered by the University of Sheffield and learnt about statistics in linguistics.

Do you think doing a similar activity with your students would be helpful/useful to them? Why/why not?

Yes, it is very helpful. I tried it with my general English students last semester and they found it helpful to see how different inquiry and corpora source for the same word may generate different results.

Sulfikar Sulfikar
                                          Participant
                                              @upi

Not really. But maybe because I do not know yet how to use the statistical information to help in my writing. I will try to learn later Dawid’s suggestion on another collocation tool.

I am not sure yet. I am afraid Corpus is quite advanced for my students’ English level.

Ian Coleman
                                              Participant
                                                  @iancoleman81

Really interesting stuff – some of it might be a little too advanced for my students, but certainly food for thought! I used Flax in class for a simple task and it worked well…

Stephen Cartwright
                                                  Participant
                                                      @stevec

I was surprised by how much of the text was at B2 level on the CEFR and above. For me, this highlights the level of linguistic complexity that is within academic texts, and how important it is that students are adequately prepared in terms of their reading skills and their knowledge of vocabulary. I live and work in Qatar, and it is sad to say but many of the students I encounter do not read. I also meet a lot of IELTS candidates who are applying for university courses in the UK, and a phrase I often hear is “people don’t read any more”.

I think it would be useful with higher level students as they would understand the concept a lot more readily. They are also more likely to have studied in international schools and would also be more likely to have role models who have a reading habit.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.