Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the function we focussed on, Word Sketch Difference. We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your word sketch, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Judith Gorham
        Participant
          @judith-gorham

I did a basic search comparing affect and effect.  This actually gave me some incorrect answers for effect, e.g. ‘effect + prize’ where the original sentence was ‘So many authors has effected The Booker Prize, making it difficult…’. The BAWE is a body of student work and I suppose in a body of published texts we wouldn’t get these anomalies.

:unsure:

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
          Keymaster
            @anastasios

Hi @judith-gorham. Word Sketch Difference works when your two search items are the same part of speech e.g. you can’t search for affect (v) and effect (n). So, the system compared affect (v) and effect (v) (= to achieve or make something happen). The sentence does contain a subject-verb agreement mistake, but it sounds like the student is trying to say that so many authors have won the prize that it’s hard for book sellers to include everyone in the the list?

So many new authors has effected The Booker Prize making it difficult to cut the long list down to a short list, making it difficult for book sellers to display these titles.

Perhaps, it’s not very successful as a word choice. I had a look at dictionaries and found examples of the verb effect + cure/ recovery/ change. So, it does sound strange to say effect + prize. I lalso looked at collocates of the verb effect in the English Web2020 corpus (38 billion tokens) and included the top 15 collocates:

But, to go back to your comment, yes BAWE contains mistakes but so would corpora of published work. Last week, I was teaching my students using a corpus of research articles from public health and the examples they were pulling from the concordance lines had all sorts of mistakes like SVA, missing prepositions, unclear clauses, etc.

Judith Gorham
            Participant
              @judith-gorham

Thanks Anastasios. Yes I wanted to see the two verbs effect and affect as students find them hard to distinguish. Using a corpus feels a bit like using a car navigation system. We need to keep our wits about us :)

I’d never considered ‘effect a nation’!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.